Etymotic 6i
Apr 1, 2005 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tuki

New Head-Fier
I just picked up a pair of Etymotic 6i headphone last week and have been adjusting to them, as they are my first real inner ear headphones. It took a bit of time, but I can finally get a proper seal without piercing my eardrums.

Now, I have noticed that they seem to slip out pretty quickly if I am walking with them in, but not while I am at my desk. I understand that the vibrations from walking will help them along, so how do you guys handle this? Do the foam tips stay in that much better? Anyone actually run with these in?

I am also curious about what bit rate you prefer to rip your AACs at... or MP3s. There is a lot of talk about this around the office, since a few people in my row just bought iPods.

Thanks!

Tuki

Apr 1, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 11
I put duct tape over my ears, it works remarkably well to keep them in. Alternately use foamies, or try different tips.

Re bit rate, I suggest you record a few songs in 128kbps, 192kbps, and 256kbps, and trust your own ears. There's no right answer. If you can get someone to control the music player and do a blind test, so much the better.

Apr 1, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I put duct tape over my ears, it works remarkably well to keep them in.

Is that a joke? Duct tape
rolleyes.gif

I have never had this problem, even when I walk all the way across my university campus with these headphones on. Are you using the shirt-clip? Are you pulling on them too much? Perhaps try wearing them with the cable over your ears (like Shures), that should minimize the pull.

Apr 1, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 11
Ooooo, I've got some 6i's coming on the 4th, should be good!
As far as rip quality of CD's is concerned, what I did was use my highest level of reference and give room for error. It was done like this: I did Variable Bitrate MP3's of a CD with Creative PlayCenter at the default 50% quality rate using my Grado SR60's with HD414 pads to boost resolution and found that that setting was acceptable and at 60% it was extremely close, but when I upped to 75% there was ABSOLUTELY no difference in sound whatsoever- and the files are still compressed on an average of 10:1, meaning 10 albums per CD for my SlimX 350. I still use that standard for rips, and am very satisfied with it.

Good times,
Abe

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 11
Hey commando, you must really like to MacGuyver stuff, huh? I wonder if you can use duct tape in DIY cables...
tongue.gif
Abe

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
How do you know i'm not Mr R D Anderson IRL? Stranger things have happened.

IRL?... If you were, I'd ask why you'd be wasting your time with common folk and not joining me on the reunion special, 'cause I'm Bruce McGill, aka Dalton. In hell-post blizzard. Ha ha ha...

On another note, I AM SO JONESING FOR MY ETY'S!!!,
Abe

Apr 1, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 11
I run with them (and walk with them) and never have a problem with them falling out of my ears. I do use the shirt clip when I run, but usually not when I walk. You can try looping the wire over your ear... I've found that to be just as comfortable, though not necessary for mine to stay in. You might have particularly large ear canals (I know I've got small ones) so the fit might be a bit looser. Trying foamies can help you get a better fit, and Etymotic sells foamies that are larger than the pack-ins as well.

Apr 2, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 11
While I was walking today, everything was OK. I also noticed that the tips are starting to form to my ear a little bit.

I use the shirt clip too. It makes me feel a bit more protected from getting them ripped out of my ears accidentally - like whern I try to stretch for the printer.

I'll have to try wrapping the chords around my ears and see if that is any better.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back