Ety MC5 foam tips suggestion
Jul 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mafiaboylay2

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I've been using  Ety MC5 foam tips  that came with the IEM just for a couple of weeks and its  noise-cancelling capacity is now significantly reduced. I'm looking around the forum for foam tips replacement and the Shure Olives seems to get lots of recommendations. Order it in  size M but  to be honest, I'm disappointed. The tips can't be fully fitted into the nozzles because the core of them is shorter than the nozzles. Maybe b ecause of that, I even found it not as good as the triple flange in terms of noise cancellation. Maybe it's just me.
1. I'm considering getting the Comply T-100 size L or P-100 size M (coz those two sizes match with the OEM foam tips from Ety).
2. After wearing the tips for about 1-2 hours, I feel sort of noise in my ears. I have no idea why. First I thought it's discomfort when you use IEM for the first time but it persists and it's there evertime I use. Is it because of the foam tips are too long for my ear canal and it presses onto the eardrums? Or is it because of the close length between the sound and my ears?
What do you guys recommend? Or maybe any other options?
Thanks a lot for everyone's help. It would save me quite a few bucks on making the right choice.

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 12
First, Welcome to the Forum.

Second, I have also fitted the Shure Olives to my Etys. And yes they are short. But so are the T100 series of Comply Foam tips. (compared to the Ety Foam Tips) I no longer use the Olives.

I would ask first, why not just order more of the Ety Foam Tips?

Then, I will tell you that I am most pleased with the Comply Foam P Series Tips. They have a longer foam body, as well as a longer sound tube. It is what I use for all day comfort.

Also, I doubt that you are touching your ear drum. You would be in terrible pain.

Good Luck, Jim

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 12
I use the T series Comply tips on my MC5's and they work great.  I still need to EQ the bass up on them but that's just the nature of the beast with those phones.

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
First, Welcome to the Forum.

Second, I have also fitted the Shure Olives to my Etys. And yes they are short. But so are the T100 series of Comply Foam tips. (compared to the Ety Foam Tips) I no longer use the Olives.

I would ask first, why not just order more of the Ety Foam Tips?

Then, I will tell you that I am most pleased with the Comply Foam P Series Tips. They have a longer foam body, as well as a longer sound tube. It is what I use for all day comfort.

Also, I doubt that you are touching your ear drum. You would be in terrible pain.

Good Luck, Jim

Thanks a lot for your answer, Jim.
I wouldn't want Ety Foam tips because I think they're too easy to wear out. Maybe it's because I don't use them properly.
Did you order size M of P series? According to my measurement, they match with the Ety tips.
Did you experience any discomfort?

Quote:
I use the T series Comply tips on my MC5's and they work great.  I still need to EQ the bass up on them but that's just the nature of the beast with those phones.

Thanks for your reply. Do your T series fully fit in the nozzle?

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks a lot for your answer, Jim.
I wouldn't want Ety Foam tips because I think they're too easy to wear out. Maybe it's because I don't use them properly.
Did you order size M of P series? According to my measurement, they match with the Ety tips.
Did you experience any discomfort?

Thanks for your reply. Do your T series fully fit in the nozzle?

First lets establish that it was the Ety foams and not the mushroom shaped gliders that you wore out quickly. If it was the barrel shaped foams, I will tell you that they are as tough as nails and the Complys will wear out more quickly.

Yes, I use both the small and medium size of the p series tips. Very comfy !!!
I cannot use the Black Ety foams. They are too large for me.
Having said that, if you found the Ety black foams to be a good fit size wise. I would recommend the large size p series tips.
Also keep in mind that the p series is longer than the t series tips. Which means that the inner core will be longer than the barrel on your headphone.

Hope it helps, Jim

PS I have a pay it forward debt to another member on this forum.
So PM me your address and I will send you a pair of the medium sized p series foams.

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 12
Yes, it's the foam tips, not the tri-flange tips.
Really??? Mystery! I have no idea why. Maybe because your foam tips and mine are different. I don't have any black tips, all I have is 2 pairs of silicon tri-flange and 1 pair of foam tips and 1 pair of filter.
It's still perfectly in its original safe but I found their noise cancellation is significantly worse.
I'd probably go for size M to be safe.
Many thanks for your great help. I appreciate it.
Thanks for your offer. I'm living in Australia, it would cost you a lot to ship here. You're so kind.

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 12
I would still like to know exactly which tip it is that you've worn out.

Could you please go here, and ID it?

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/mc5-acc.html

Thanks, Jim

PS I'll leave the offer open also.

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #8 of 12
Yes, it's the foam tips, not the tri-flange tips.
Really??? Mystery! I have no idea why. Maybe because your foam tips and mine are different. I don't have any black tips, all I have is 2 pairs of silicon tri-flange and 1 pair of foam tips and 1 pair of filter.
It's still perfectly in its original safe but I found their noise cancellation is significantly worse.
I'd probably go for size M to be safe.
Many thanks for your great help. I appreciate it.
Thanks for your offer. I'm living in Australia, it would cost you a lot to ship here. You're so kind.

Have a look here...

http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/professional-supplies/test-equipment-accessories/comply-canal-tips-12-packs.html

Hope it helps, Jim

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 12
Here's a photo of them.

I don't know how to thank you enough :).
About the Westone website that you gave me, I tried to find them on amazon but couldn't. Shipping to Australia would cost $25 bucks. No! But many thanks for the link. And why do the foam tips in that shop have canal?

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Here's a photo of them.

I don't know how to thank you enough :).
About the Westone website that you gave me, I tried to find them on amazon but couldn't. Shipping to Australia would cost $25 bucks. No! But many thanks for the link. And why do the foam tips in that shop have canal?

I believe that Comply uses the name Canal Tips to differentiate the two, Probably a trade name thing.

But construction is the same, at least to my lying eyes/ears. They (Canal Tips/P-Series) are both threaded, and have the same dimensions.

I like them better than the regular T-Series Tips. They (P-Series) are longer, and offer better isolation, as well as better IEM support in the ear.

Good Luck and let me know if you need more help, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back