Ety HF5 worth extra $$$ over er6i?
Jun 27, 2010 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NR76

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am planning to replace my er6i that broke after three years of great service. Ety HF5 seems a good option and from all I have read on this forum, HF5 seem to be closer to erp4 and have slightly better bass than er6i.

I was quite happy with the sound signature of er6i though I did miss deeper bass sometimes. I plan to use the earphones with unamped ipod.

I am having a hard time deciding if HF5 is worth the extra dollars. I can get er6i for about $75, while HF5 is about $120.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 11
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003S3RFIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277674993&sr=8-1

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks Inks and bcpk. I didn't know about MC5 until you pointed out. I saw one post with some initial impressions about MC5 and will wait till I hear some more feedback about them. They look promising. Thanks.

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 11
I tried the ER-6i, the HF5, and the ER4P at CanJam '10 and from my opinion, I preferred the 6i to the HF5. Of course the ER4P trounced them both, but that's in a different league.

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 11
@KnightK - I keep hearing that HF5 and er4 have similar sound signature. What make er4 trounce hf5 for you?

@slaters70 - Thank you. I have beel following your other thread too and it seems like MC5 might just be what I need. I am trying to understanding if they're an upgrade over er6i (better bass would do it for me and a bigger soundstage will be a bonus).

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 11
The HF2 and HF5 do use the same driver as the ER4 but the ER4 are handbuild in US and the drivers are closely matched whereas the HF models are mass produced in the far east and don't use as closely matched drivers and allow bigger tolerances. To me there is very little sound difference between an ER4-P and a HF if used straight from most daps. The HF has possibly slightly stronger bass and slightly less sparkle to the highs but otherwise very close. This is probably due to the slightly lower impedance of the HF. The MC models I have not heard nor have I heard the ER6i so can't comment in comparison. The ER4 scales much better with better gear than the HF though.

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
@KnightK - I keep hearing that HF5 and er4 have similar sound signature. What make er4 trounce hf5 for you?

@slaters70 - Thank you. I have beel following your other thread too and it seems like MC5 might just be what I need. I am trying to understanding if they're an upgrade over er6i (better bass would do it for me and a bigger soundstage will be a bonus).

Check out the photos I just posted. MC5s with custom sleeves. I have to tell you, I owned the er6i, and it's a no brainer. The MC5, like most/all dynamics, need 40-50 hours of burn-in before they emerge. Now granted, I am using custom tips, a good player (with updated FW) and an LOD, but even ampless, I think the MC5s are a much better IEM than the er6i. And someone just posted that the hf5 isn't any major improvement over the MC5, though it is early in his comparison. Seems like Ety has hit on something with its new dynamic technology. My ears say so, but other ears may disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back