Ety HF2s Keep breaking
Nov 12, 2009 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

busstonedfx

New Head-Fier
This is the third pair that I've had that one ear just stops working. It has only been like 2 weeks since I had them replaced by ETY. Good thing they honor their warranty, but the combined shipping to and from could have bought me something useful.... Anyone else have this trouble? I don't even think I'm being rough with them...

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 18
Wow, I actually thought that another Grado HF2 broke.

Anyway, that sucks. Send them back again?

Or maybe just save the shipping money and a month's salary or something and just buy some other iem if you're tired of the Etys breaking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 18
I've had mine for a year with extensive use and no problems at all

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had mine for a year with extensive use and no problems at all

Have they been out this long?

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 18
yup. over a year, I want the HF5

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have they been out this long?

There about. Being a long time ER4 lover and having gotten an iPhone 3G July 2008 I jumped at the HF2 just about the day they came out.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by busstonedfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you store them when not in use? Do you all actually use that carrying case? OR do you gently wrap it around whatever you're carrying, say an ipod?

Or just wrap/bunch it up and place it in your pocket?

Honestly, any pair of quality IEMs can last extended amounts of time just by using a pocket case, and proper wrapping techniques. you seem to be developing loose connections at either the earpiece or the jack (probably the jack), which sounds to me like you're wrapping the cable around the device.

i suggest you find a compact case (altoids gum tin lined with duct tape makes a good case).

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i suggest you find a compact case (altoids gum tin lined with duct tape makes a good case).

The HF2/HF5 come with a perfectly functional soft case that works just fine. Same case as the ER-4P.

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 18
I've never had any problem with an Ety product. You must be beating them up.

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HF2/HF5 come with a perfectly functional soft case that works just fine. Same case as the ER-4P.

Yep and that is what I use when they are not in my ears

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never had any problem with an Ety product. You must be beating them up.

I have had cracked tubes on several of my ER4 over the years (8-9 years)

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #13 of 18
heres a small remark that might sound a bit like trolling, but has some truth to it,

the only Ety product worth buying is the ER4, buying anything else from them is tossing money down the tune,

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #14 of 18
My opinion disagrees with Aevum's. I own three pairs of ER-4's, and still enjoy my hf2 very much. I find its sound preferable to that of any ER-4 when going unamped. Before the hf series I used ER-6 and ER-6i and again found them useful alternatives to the ER-4 under certain conditions. For me the price of an hf2 was money well spent - even for the owner of numerous other Etymotic products - and not wasted at all.

I haven't had fragility problems with any of my Ety products, by the way. I would say I'm fairly careful with them, but they do get used, traveled with, occasionally tugged on by my daughter, and so forth.

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My opinion disagrees with Aevum's. I own three pairs of ER-4's, and still enjoy my hf2 very much. I find its sound preferable to that of any ER-4 when going unamped. Before the hf series I used ER-6 and ER-6i and again found them useful alternatives to the ER-4 under certain conditions. For me the price of an hf2 was money well spent - even for the owner of numerous other Etymotic products - and not wasted at all.

I haven't had fragility problems with any of my Ety products, by the way. I would say I'm fairly careful with them, but they do get used, traveled with, occasionally tugged on by my daughter, and so forth.

Totally agree, absolutely not waisted at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back