Ety ER-6 newbie with questions
Sep 17, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 30
One opinion to shoot against the sentiment here:

I've got the Etys 4P and the Sony EX70 and I cannot even begin to fathom why somebody can claim that the Sonys sound better.
Don't get me wrong, the Sonys are ok for the money, but the Etys play in a whole different league.

Sep 17, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #19 of 30
LTUCCI1924:

As far as I remember, you already admitted to having quite aged or damaged ears long before getting Ety's, and I was perplexed on why you were having so much difficulty getting the volume you want with either the TA and Supreme with Ety's. While most others asked to doublecheck your source, I was wary that you were just listening at dangerous volumes period, under the folly that since you already had significant hearing damage, you needed even higher volumes to enjoy them.

It just doesn't make sense how you can proclaim those products to contribute to hearing damage while suggesting a headphone that doesn't isolate at all and is probably easier to power and drive(well easier than the 4S for sure). If I remembered correctly, you were having issue with the 4P volume with these high powered amps! Indeed your need of volume when having Ety's did not make sense. Perhaps given the nature of the phones you needed to pump up the volume in order for your ears to hear something. It is unfortunate that those products in question probably did cause you hearing damage given *your* usage of them...and we live in a world where no one wants to be liable for their own actions.

Koss has the pleasant midbass boom and vibrating sensation of bass...you don't need to have excellent hearing to sense any vibrations. You do need decent hearing to hear 20hz tones.

Given most peoples satisfaction of these earphones in regards to isolation and sound, I think most people do not need to turn up their listening level. And with a healthy ear I find that all the details and clarity should be very present at low volumes in addition to the isolation. Also these claims of hearing damage don't fit well when there is consensus that the Ety's both sound and isolate better than Sony's(or most phones for that matter). Unless maybe you don't want to turn up the volume on something that just sounds bad which is a possibility.

I think you are going off the handle on your accusations of both Ety's and Headrooms in regards to hearing damage. I'm pretty sure I gave fair warning in regards to hearing damage. And I think it is a joke if you don't think Etymotic, which deals with hearing aids, audiologists, and hearing protection, did not have plenty of information on hearing damage. And Headroom as well gives fair warning in writing too. It doesn't really make sense how you criticize Headroom at first for making products that didn't go loud enough...to criticizing them for products that can cause hearing damage. In anycase you are entitled to your opinions...be careful with the hot coffee too.

Until there is a complex audio circuit which magically measures and limits the SPL being pushed from your headphones at any given volume level, you are indeed your own master and controller of listening volumes.

Sep 17, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
jopi
hi: JOPI is right that the etys are way better sounding than the Sony's but look at what the etys cost in money and then lets see what the etys do to your ear damage in a few years. I wont be surprised to see law suite against headroom for ear damage and for almost 300.00 the Sony are a way better buy even if they don't sound as good as the etys. You members have been taken for a ride with a co that makes junk like the total airhead and the supreme amp and now these etys that may be very bad for your ears. Headroom don't care just bring in the money please.

LTUCCI1924, I think your second-to-last post is out there. Don Wilson works for a respected company that makes many hearing-related products. Are Etys expensive? Not if you consider the other headphones they are compared with ($300 for the ER4 and some people consider them the best headphone on the market).

But more importantly, your last post (above) simply stunned me. In a single paragraph you've accused Etymotic Research -- a company with many years of research into hearing technology -- of marketing a product that will damage your years (when in fact they have the potential to do less damage than other headphones because you don't need to turn them up as loud), and you've called two respected amps of being junk and their manufacturer of taking people for a ride.

I've always respected your enthusiasm for listening to music, and for Head-Fi, so I can't begin to imagine what would possess you to make such comments.

Sep 17, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #23 of 30
LTUCCI1924:

You can argue against Headroom all you want if you indeed like your CHA47 better when it comes to sound quality, value, or preference. But shouldn't these arguements be based on sound quality, value, or preference? To make claims about them taking your money while helping to damage your hearing is just absurd. There is no hearing protection circuitry in your CHA47 that makes it any better than the Headroom amps in regards to hearing damage. In fact for all we know your CHA47 has even more capability to drive to louder volumes without distortion boasting a 2 9V configuration. Does that mean you should throw around threats of lawsuits against the maker of your new amp in regards to hearing damage?

It seems like you have more than an opinion...but spite as your arguments don't exactly match up with motive.

Sep 17, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #25 of 30
Actually Ltucci1924 your posts are often convoluted making it difficult to figure out what exactly you are trying to say.

Quote:

I wont be surprised to see law suite against headroom for ear damage

I'm pretty sure that reads as I think it should read.

Sep 17, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #26 of 30
[size=xx-small] Quote:

jopi
hi: JOPI is right that the etys are way better sounding than the Sony's but look at what the etys cost in money and then lets see what the etys do to your ear damage in a few years. I wont be surprised to see law suite against headroom for ear damage and for almost 300.00 the Sony are a way better buy even if they don't sound as good as the etys. You members have been taken for a ride with a co that makes junk like the total airhead and the supreme amp and now these etys that may be very bad for your ears. Headroom don't care just bring in the money please.

[/size]

Lou,

Do you have a daily medication check-off list? If so, you'd better look it over again and see what you missed today.

Etymotic Research is a very well respected company. I own their ER-4S, and find them to actually be more safe for my ears than normal headphones in terms of how loud I have to turn the music up to get a satisfactory listening level. In an environment with loud ambient noise, one might have a tendency to turn up headphones with no isolation to overcome the noise. The ER-4S's simply block the outside noise out, making turning the volume up unnecessary in all but the most severe outside noise situations. Again, I have no idea where you're coming from with your comments. Of course, you're entitled to your opinions, but I felt this one worth offering an opposing viewpoint against.

Regarding HeadRoom: again, you're entitled to your opinion, but I find their gear to be excellent; and I use equipment made by them (as many do) every single day, both at my desks and portably. Though I don't expect everyone to like any given piece of equipment, I, again, thought your comments off base enough to merit offering an opposing viewpoint.

Your comment about a lawsuit for ear damage seems downright absurd to me. Does your volume knob have a ratcheting mechanism that can't be defeated? Can you say "motion for summary judgement"?

EDIT: Noticed your more rational last couple of posts.

Sep 17, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Deep earwax in ear channel needed to be washed out but was done very easily.

And it seems to have helped your grammar and spelling considerably too , lou!

wink.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 3:46 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

HI all
You can listen to MR WILSON and his etys as he goes all the way to the bank. If you want great sound from your ipod just buy a koss portapro for 20.00 with discount and be amazed at the real sound and your ears will love you also

The portapro, Mr. Flubinski, goes with a 50% discount from 50 bucks.

Once you add $6 shipping, it's $31.

The koss line that includes the KSC-35 and portapro is a bass heavy cheap line of phones that appeal to the easy to please 500 Watt woofer crowd.

Thanks for sharing,

John
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #30 of 30
i can never tell if lou is being sarcastic or not.

back on topic:
kermy,
it really took me months before i was able to get the er6 inserted correctly, for me. i add emphasis on that because i believe everyone's ears are different sizes and shapes, and what might work for one might not for another.

i also believe the er6 has a "warm up" time. they don't really sing until they've been on for about 10 minutes. either that, or it is my ears adjusting to them.

for me, the er6 works best with ambient music. they sound good with other types, but brian eno's ambient music sounds so freakin' amazing with the er6 i never want to use another headphone for that type of music.

some technical stuff: the er6 can be powered from a portable, but they really take off with a punchy amp like the cha47. contact jmt and have him build one for you, they are a great deal. i also modified my er6 by putting a small square of foam over the er6 filters (to cut down on what i was hearing to be an etched treble and bring up the bass:treble ratio) and running the wires through some "ultimate earhugger" ear clips to get rid of the cord noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back