Ety Er-4S vs. Er-4P question
Sep 21, 2007 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

krell1

100+ Head-Fier
I have been reading that even with the Er-4P you will need an amp to get the most out of them. Why get the Er-4P instead of Er-4S? I have found with the Etymotic's that they are very revaling of the source anyway.

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 15
^^ is correct -- the p was designed to be easier to drive and not need an amp. to get the most out of the s, an amp is recommended.

also, make sure you play around with a variety of tips -- getting a good seal is of critical importance.

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 15
Yes the P does not require an amp but the better the source and amp the better it gets, not just more bass. It really scales with what it's fed, probably more than any other phones I have tried

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 15
ER4P: moarrrr bass.
ER4S: moar whispers, touches, lips against microphone

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 15
I still think ER4P's need an amp. Yes you hear bass tones and some bass texture with certain instruments but the overall presentation is a little empty. An amp ads a thicker and fuller sound.

I never had a gripe with Ety bass as I thought is was always accurate but it was about the lack of a "fullness of sound" that bothered me. Etys sound like....well...IEM's whereas other more modern day IEM's like SE530 or Triple Fi's actually sound like HEADPHONES. Whether it is artificial or whatever...many people find the sound presentation much more pleasing.

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 15
It does not need an amp to sound good. Some claim it sounds much better with an amplifier. I cannot tell the difference.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #9 of 15
I've noticed that with an amp when using my iPod the sound is a lot more richer when used with the ER4S. I can't really tell the difference between the P and the S other than I need to raise the volume a little more with the S when NO amp is used for either.

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by freethegeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to read this thread from Xin about the ety's.

http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm

Although it discussing modification, it's pretty darned informative and a good read.

Thanks, pretty good article but he bashes the bass of the Ety's mostly and the comfort that I wonder if he had a good seal most of the time. I have to syliva mine once in a while for easy insertion and great seal every time so I am now getting Westone molds made. I was thinking of getting the ER-4P for straight out of my MP3 but it is rare I use it without an amp & powerful amps do light up the Ety's (Headroom Max).

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 15
IMHO, looking into the two models, i am going to purchase the P model, as i can always make it into an S later, in fact with my supermacro i can turn it into an S with the flick of a switch.

best of both worlds.

c'mon next payday....c'mon
plainface.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 15
Keep upping the impedance even past the S level and you'll be surprised.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #14 of 15
Get the P with the S convertor cable. If I had to choose only one though I'd pick the S. I almost never listen to the P, even when I don't have an amp. Honestly the S is driven pretty well by most portable sources too, and I prefer the bass levels of the S to the P. The S sounds much clearer and realistic to me. The P sounds more like a Shure IEM and by that I mean muddy and jumbled by comparsion.

Sep 23, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #15 of 15
The only difference between the ER-4P and S is two series 75ohm resistors... Getting the ER-4P and P->S adapter cable gives you the flexibility to use the unamped when space is at a premium, but still plug them into an amp for stationary listening.

The ER-4P's low impedance can actually cause problems with certain amps. I was getting quite a bit of noise when hooking up my pair to a Headroom Coda LE. Adding the P->S adapter made it go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back