ETY er-4P vs Westone UM2 [mini review]
Oct 31, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by exkgb
And I'll take you as an ignorant person who refuse to keep an open mind to new possibilities. If you read the thread you will see that he backs up his claims with a lot of evidence and many users including myself shares similiar experience.

What is fake detail? its something that is there which is not suppose to be there. For me I think its harmonic distortion of the etys canalphone which is orders of magnitude higher than those other IEMs. Check out the headroom graphs.

Don't get your He-Man briefs all up in a bunch buddy. If you take your own advice and read the thread, you can see someone discounting the accuracy of graphs across different IEMs.

lol seriously from the way you talk about Etymotics it's seems like they insulted your family's honor, and you are out for vengeance! I can just see the vein throbbing in your forehead. Someone likes ER4s more than UM2s, contrary to what you might think it's not the end of the world. Seriously, calm down
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
Don't get your He-Man briefs all up in a bunch buddy. If you take your own advice and read the thread, you can see someone discounting the accuracy of graphs across different IEMs.

lol seriously from the way you talk about Etymotics it's seems like they insulted your family's honor, and you are out for vengeance! I can just see the vein throbbing in your forehead. Someone likes ER4s more than UM2s, contrary to what you might think it's not the end of the world. Seriously, calm down
tongue.gif

What makes you think I care so much? the only thing I'm unhappy about is that I had to pay the restocking fee to return my ER4P because they are overpriced and a under-performer, so of course I want to inform the everyone of my experience with them.

Btw. we are talking about ER4P here buddy, not the 4S, read the thread plz. Yes you can discount the accuracy of graphs but they are really the ONLY objective sort of way you can use to evaluate IEMs and the harmonic distortions of that level are indeed percievable as shown by the "golden ear" tests that was posted here some time ago.

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Yes you can discount the accuracy of graphs but they are really the ONLY objective sort of way you can use to evaluate IEMs and the harmonic distortions of that level are indeed percievable as shown by the "golden ear" tests that was posted here some time ago.

graphs are about as useful for analyzing a headphone's subjective sound quality as mass spectromoters are for analyzing how a strawberry tastes.

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 32
Who is this "we," you speak of?
You do realize that I was talking about the ER4S and was the 4th responder to this thread, and thereafter were 3 mentions of the ER4S before you chimed in. So no, "we" weren't talking of only the ER4P. Again I advise you to take your own advice:

Quote:

read the thread plz

Oct 31, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #21 of 32
I got my UM2's today, and at the moment i think overall i prefer the ety's sound.

However - i am going to withold judgement until they are worn in.

Also - the cable over the ears pisses me off big time! (pardon my french!) Especially when you turn your head!

Also - ety have told me they will warranty my broken ety tube whatever age which i think is stunning customer service!!!!

dave

Oct 31, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #22 of 32
They are giving warranty for broken Ety tube of whatever age? Hmm, I just might actually buy it then (and start regretting selling Studiophonics).

Of course, that puts pressure on me to go buy the SuperMini-3 from Xin as well, which is real annoying since I think the special deal on them ends today and I'd rather study about test than worry about whether to buy it or not
frown.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
They are giving warranty for broken Ety tube of whatever age? Hmm, I just might actually buy it then (and start regretting selling Studiophonics).

Of course, that puts pressure on me to go buy the SuperMini-3 from Xin as well, which is real annoying since I think the special deal on them ends today and I'd rather study about test than worry about whether to buy it or not
frown.gif

here, i'll help you out: buy it!

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #24 of 32
I have only read a portion of the famous 'fake detail' thread, so I'll have to read the rest later but I will say that when I go from my UM2's to my ER-4P's that I hear a good bit more detail and then when I move up to my HD595's I hear those same details only more clearly still. That doesn't seem fake to me. Still, I'll read Bangraman's theory and see if I'm misunderstanding what exactly is meant by 'fake detail'.

Anyway, I find that out of both my home setup and my Creative Zen Xtra that neither of these are exactly what I would call balanced. The Etys are a bit bright to me and the Westones are very dark, almost mushy. When I eq them to what is my idea of 'balance' they sound much more like one another, of course. But the Etys take the eq'ing with more grace. I get almost the bass slam from the Etys that I do from the Westones and a good bit more detail. Eq'ing the treble to where I'd like it on the Westones introduces some harshness I don't hear in the Etys. Also, the comfort with the Etys I find to be slightly better than the Westones if I use the longer Comply tips that came with the Westones.

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #25 of 32
Picture%20011.jpg

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG !!! REMEMBER !!!

If you think you hear fake detail (too much mid-treble) you are not having a good seal.
[size=small]How do you know if you have a good seal?[/size]
Look into the mirror, you should see only red and blue cable connectors and the cable, the black thing should be inserted in the ear and should NOT be seen in the mirror.

[size=small]What are the effects of having a bad seal?[/size]
Etys sound harsh in treble (some people call this fake detail) and has less detail in comparison to proper seal.
There is much less isolation.

So, you should be looking like this :
etysmile.gif
and NOT like this:
badetysmile.gif

You need to insert them DEEPER, the best way for me is to open mouth, pull the earlobe down and insert Ety in 50° angle into the ear until i see only the red or blue thing. Remember to try the other tips to see if seal gets better or not...

[size=small]Seriously, it's all about the seal... No one who has the right seal would call Etys bright, harsh, producing fake detail, or bass-less(the exception is Etys out of portable with low impedance bug)... [/size]

-----

If you can't get good seal after this guide, just get custom molds... it has to help.... and you will see what etys are about
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #26 of 32
Did you read any of the thread I posted? Their discussion was about the actual design of the single-driver balanced armature set-up in the Ety's causing the supposed extra or "fake" detail. I'm willing to bet that everyone who posted in it that thread knew how to correctly insert IEM's. It's not rocket surgery
biggrin.gif

I didn't post that thread to prove or disprove that the Ety have "fake" detail. It seemed some of the posters weren’t aware of the alleged Ety fake detail before this thread. I just wanted them to be aware that it had been discussed a while ago and wansn’t that new of a concept. It blows my mind how passionate some people argue it on either side of the fence.

Oct 31, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
Who is this "we," you speak of?
You do realize that I was talking about the ER4S and was the 4th responder to this thread, and thereafter were 3 mentions of the ER4S before you chimed in. So no, "we" weren't talking of only the ER4P. Again I advise you to take your own advice:

Read the title of the thread :p

I'm getting out of this thread. All I wanted to do is state mine and MINE opinion only about the crappy ER4P (IMO) headphones. Sure a lot of you guys love it, but I had a very bad experience with it so I want to inform people of that since a lot of people base their buying decision upon these threads. From my experience, they are not worth the money and no I did not get a faulty set nor have bad insertion technique since I compared them with a another guy who has it..etc.

To me, they are harsh, kinda bright, lack bass and gives headache upon extended listening. The boosted trebles is extremely annoying and bass is almost non-existent: they are there but has no slam to it whatsoever. Soundstage is non-existent and the cable microphonics pissed me off big time. Thats why I dislike them, though they are a small improvement over the stock Ipod phones but definately not what I expect for 200 bux; Overall a poor sounding and poorly designed product based on my experience.

Nov 1, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #28 of 32
yes i have

etys are not usual IEMs in means of insertion... they should go deeper than Shures or others... and they also have some isolation (15-25 dB) while you have bad insertion. Even I thought i was having a good seal for 4 months since i got them, and i was wrong... if i knew it wasn't a good seal, i would push them deeper, but i didn't know...
yes, it IS hard... much harder than you think... of course you may not have this problem... but lot of people do...

you know what (i think) is fake detail (and i hear it when not properly inserted)... : etys are flat, but with shallow insertion, ear-canal resonance makes peaks in mid-treble causing people to hear "harsh treble" or "fake detail"...

seal.jpg

that picture shows wrong and right insertion, and i think it is quite COMMON that people wear them the first (wrong) way... because they hear what they read about them (hyperdetailed, lean on bass..) and they never discover the true nature of etys...
Quote:

Yeah, there are definitely two stages to the Ety seal. The 'outer seal' gives you about the same isolation you get with other IEM's and decent sound, though bass shy, and I think a lot of people never even realize it's not all the way in. When I put them in properly the seal is very noticeably more complete than with my UM2's. By that I mean the isolation is greater. I can hear my heart and the bass is clean, tight and has good impact.

You know, when you get custom molds, you can't screw it up, but with universal tips you probably will...
Quote:

If you really want to get rid of this real or perceived shrillness/extra detail or whatever you want to call it...

Get some custom molds made for the Etys.

I did this and I could not believe the difference it made to my ears.

The soundstage is much broader, the bass is weightier and there is absolutely no trace of the hyper-detail phenomenon described in this thread.

A nice example of someone who bought custom molds and experienced the right seal...

And yes, i have read the entire thread about fake detail, and all i read corresponds with what i hear with wrong seal
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by troublemaker
I got my UM2's today, and at the moment i think overall i prefer the ety's sound.

However - i am going to withold judgement until they are worn in.

Also - the cable over the ears pisses me off big time! (pardon my french!) Especially when you turn your head!

The cable over the ears is one thing that is making me have second thoughts about getting the UM2's.

Hmm, maybe I'll get something else.
confused.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 11:18 AM Post #30 of 32
imo cable over ear reduces microphonics so much, however the y shape thing is way way too early, if it was placed there an inch or more away from where it is now the um2 would be so much more comfortable, also u don't have to do the cord over ear, u can just leave it hanging straight down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back