Ety ER-4P IEM comfort..?
May 18, 2011 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jtaylor991

1000+ Head-Fier
I listen to hip hop on the go, and occasionally a bit of rock in WMA Lossless on my Samsung Focus. The Samsung Focus included in ears completely fill my ear canal (I can feel it with my fingers) and after about 30 seconds everything in my ear becomes pressurized like my ears are popping when I am taking off on a plane. I know these are cheap rubber ones, but are these any indication of the ER-4P feel/comfort? Also, do these leak any? I want something that sounds good that leaks NOT AT ALL whatsoever. I listen to my music a little bit louder than average and my iPod earphones leak like nuts in a quiet classroom, and everyone stares at me and calls me deaf and feeds me a bunch of bullcrap of blowing myself deaf when they don't understand the leak factor of on ear canal earphones, especially since with the same earbuds they listen to it like a quarter of the way up on their ipods which is almost too quiet for me to hear and apparently thats how they think music should sound, so they say I'm deaf. I want no leakage so that people will stop bullcrapping my face and let me enjoy my music in peace. I also want something fairly high quality, but insanely hi fi is not necessary, and amping is not an option for me with no line out at the moment. Can you guys recommend the ER-4Ps based on these factors?

May 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 18
I also mow lawns a lot and would love these to isolate the lawn mower. A bit more isolation than the DT770/80s is about what I need if that's any indication. No amping or ear muff DIYs please.

May 18, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 18
ER4's don't leak at all. I'm not sure how comfortable they are but if they are anything like the ER6i, I could never get used to the feeling of getting my brains poked out. They were incredibly uncomfortable after a couple of minutes. Others don't have problems with the tri flanges though so maybe your mileage may vary.

Also, I'm not sure if the ER4's would be the best choice for hip hop and rock...

May 19, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 18
I find the ER4 comfortable, mostly because I have wide ear canals, plus many years of using a variety of IEMs have probably stretched them into shape. If you can withstand wearing big deep ear plugs for a long time, you may have no problems with ER4.

They don't leak unless you pull them out of your ears and focus the sonic beam into other people. Even then, I don't think they go as far as other ears buds I have used.

May 19, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 18
I agree there is no leak but also not great for hip hip. They have some microphonics too. Why not consider the HF5 and save a bunch of money? They microphonics are better and they're a little "warmer" than the ER4P. I haven't heard them but you could also try the Shure SE215. I think they have the same body as the other in the SE series. (I have the SE535.) They isolate well, don't leak too much and are very easy to drive to loud levels. The SE215 shouldn't create a painful seal since they don't insert as deep as the ER4 and they'll definitely be more suited to hip hop.

May 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 18
I figured that with the leakage, but I'm not sure if I can handle the big deep earplugs for a long time. That is what's holding me back from IEMs, but something that fits in my pocket besides the stock Apple earbuds would be lovely and convenient.

Quote:
I find the ER4 comfortable, mostly because I have wide ear canals, plus many years of using a variety of IEMs have probably stretched them into shape. If you can withstand wearing big deep ear plugs for a long time, you may have no problems with ER4.

They don't leak unless you pull them out of your ears and focus the sonic beam into other people. Even then, I don't think they go as far as other ears buds I have used.

May 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 18
Most IEMs don't leak at all. You can get a shallow seal IEM like the Shure SE series or the PFE line, both of which are amazingly comfortable, by don't isolate as much as the Etys. You can also try the Etymotics with foams, which may be more comfortable, but again the ER4 probably isn't the best choice for the music you like.

May 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 18
These? http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8

There were a few different variants on Google Shopping.

Quote:
I agree there is no leak but also not great for hip hip. They have some microphonics too. Why not consider the HF5 and save a bunch of money? They microphonics are better and they're a little "warmer" than the ER4P. I haven't heard them but you could also try the Shure SE215. I think they have the same body as the other in the SE series. (I have the SE535.) They isolate well, don't leak too much and are very easy to drive to loud levels. The SE215 shouldn't create a painful seal since they don't insert as deep as the ER4 and they'll definitely be more suited to hip hop.

May 21, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #10 of 18
Yeah, I think your main concern shouldn't be comfort, but the music quality..... Etymotics are notorious for lacking in the bass department, so it might not be the best choice for your music tastes. I'd think that the Shure 215 would be better than the HF5 because the HF5 still shares the general characteristics of Etymotics and the 215's have very nice isolation very well with low microphonics.

Especially without an amp, the Ety's will sound very cold.

May 21, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 18
I don’t have any discomfort with the er4/triple flange tips even wearing them all day at work. I love the isolation and perfect seal they offer. That being said they are not for everyone. On the bright side Ety includes four different styles of tips with er4.

Not sure about Hip Hop but listening to Average White Band's "Pick Up The Pieces" with J3/er4s is sonic bliss. Rock and Metal sounds fantastic too.

YMMV

May 21, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #12 of 18
I only use Ety's with Comply tips. I hate the triple flanges, they are indeed ear rapers for me.

As for lack of bass, yeah, they don't have that oophm, but the ER-4S with an amp with bass boost does it wonders. 

Quote:
I don’t have any discomfort with the er4/triple flange tips even wearing them all day at work. I love the isolation and perfect seal they offer. That being said they are not for everyone. On the bright side Ety includes four different styles of tips with er4.

Not sure about Hip Hop but listening to Average White Band's "Pick Up The Pieces" with J3/er4s is sonic bliss. Rock and Metal sounds fantastic too.

YMMV

May 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 18
Too bad I can't amp my Samsung Focus or Zune HD :p How are the Shure 215s with comfort? Could I wear them for a 10 hour car trip (as a pasenger)? I want one pair of portable cans whether they be on ears (Beyer DT1350) or Shure 215s and they need to isolate enough to mow the lawn with them often and a couple of times a year I drive 10 hours from KC to Texas to see my grandmother. I also take a few 3-6 hour car trips as well. Will I be able to wear them the whole ride with breaks inbetween meals or will my ears ache and/or become fatigued?

May 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #15 of 18
I'm using a JDS Labs Cmoybb v2.03. Once I toggled the bass boost on, I never went back. It adds just enough boost that I think any more would be uncomfortable.

Quote:
Quote:

As for lack of bass, yeah, they don't have that oophm, but the ER-4S with an amp with bass boost does it wonders. 

They work quite well with a little bass boost from the J3.

Which amp are you using if I may ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back