Ety ER-4 custom moulds - for and against
Mar 7, 2003 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hazmat

100+ Head-Fier
So I now have the custom moulds. Besides the fact that I need to get them remade (no bass), I can now comment on them. I don't think these are something I can use on a regular basis. I use the ER-4Ps with my iPod while walking around NYC and in the subway. I keep the iPod in my inside jacket pocket, and for portability, the custom moulds suck. With the silicon tips I can wind up the Ety cord and stick them into the same pocket with the iPod. The custom moulds are huge and too big to do that. Plus even if I COULD get them into the pocket, I would always be worrying about the Etys' stems getting snapped off. And the regular Ety tips make it a lot easier and quicker to put in and take out. Oh well. It was worth trying since I only paid $30 for the custom moulds. I can't comment on a difference in sound, since the moulds need to be remade since I'm not getting everything they should offer. The only thing I really love about them so far is that they lock in so well to your ear that they can't come loose at all when moving around. But, as I said, the stock Ety tips really do make life easier.

I hope this is useful to someone.

-Ken

Mar 15, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 6
i envy you

my ex70 sound ok, but one day my ipod too will have a 4p

good luck & happy podding

if i see you on the subway i'll say hi, but you probably won't hear with the 4p's
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Yeah some pics(closeups) would be helpful to all us newbies trying to decide whether or not to get the moulds (or at least to me anyway!)
Also, I read somewhere in one of Don Wilson's (Etymotic) posts that the stem is supposed to be recessed into the mould to help prevent the snapping off of the stem. Dunno how robust they are though........

Thanks for your input

Mar 15, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 6
I will try and get pics of the custom moulds next to the Ety's. I got them from Scientific Plastics in NYC and they are the real deal. Good fitment and I don't think they would break off.

Mar 16, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 6
You probably have a full shell mold like this:
earmold34.jpg
pic2mdls.gif

What you want is a "sleeve" style mold like this. I doesn't stick out of the ear canal.
image_um56.jpg

Etymotic reccommended that I have Sensaphonics in Chicago make the inserts for the ER-4. They use a soft silicone for their version which is supposed to be more comfortable. Have an audiologist take the impression and send it to Sensaphonics. I work in Chicago so I plan to have them made at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back