ety 6i foams
Mar 24, 2006 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ifer

New Head-Fier
hi. i have been using the ety 6i for a couple of months and i have noticed that there is some 'green' on my foam tips. ewww.

i remember seeing it here that the foams can be washed and i took it out to do some washing... it's not sparkling clean but at least it's better than before.

however, the foams are not as 'hard' as new. i used it this morning for my trip on the bus and suprisingly, i could hear the people next to me talking... i do not have this problem before.

then, i tried squeezing the foam and i found out that the foam is very soft now. any ideas?

i remember reading it here than i need to put it into some solution to make the foams hard.

can you guys help me on this? please... thanks

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 15

jagorev

Headphoneus Supremus
The foam degrades after a while. The only solution I know of is to get new ones. Or switch to the long-lasting rubber triflanges.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 15

LaBreaHead

Headphoneus Supremus
I now prefer the foam ear pieces -- but the price you pay is the cost of replacing them. Sorry, but I guess you have to decide whether you can afford it and whether it's worth it to you.

If you ride a public bus, consider the expense part of the cost of transportation. If you ride a school bus, consider it money well spent for your sanity.

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 15

JeffS

500+ Head-Fier
The Westone comply tips aren't exactly the same as the Etymotic ones, but they are very close. I actually think they are a little b bit more comfortable.

The Westone ones are also a little bit cheaper, and fit the er-6i perfectly.

Washing them about once a week, I can squeeze about 3-4 weeks out of a set of these foamies.

good luck
-Jeff

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 15

jacquer

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS
The Westone comply tips aren't exactly the same as the Etymotic ones, but they are very close. I actually think they are a little b bit more comfortable.

The Westone ones are also a little bit cheaper, and fit the er-6i perfectly.

Washing them about once a week, I can squeeze about 3-4 weeks out of a set of these foamies.

good luck
-Jeff

Do you know if they fit the er4p/s as well?

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 15

angler31337

500+ Head-Fier
I guess the overarching theme is that you need to replace foamies on a fairly regular basis. You can wash the rubber/flanged tips quite a few times before they need replacement, but I've never heard of washing foamies. Sorry.

-Angler
600smile.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 15

Anarchy965

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
The foam degrades after a while. The only solution I know of is to get new ones. Or switch to the long-lasting rubber triflanges.
very_evil_smiley.gif

yuck!! The tri-flanges are terrible!! They take 5 minutes to get them sealed good and even then they have horrible veil....

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 15

jagorev

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
yuck!! The tri-flanges are terrible!! They take 5 minutes to get them sealed good and even then they have horrible veil....

Just shows how different our ears are. I would never describe the Etys as veiled...but I find the tri-flange quite a bit brighter/leaner. And for me, it's a much easier insertion/removal process. I have to struggle quite a bit with the foam, especially when I'm removing it. With the tri-flange, just pull until you break the seal and it pops right out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 15

JeffS

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquer
Do you know if they fit the er4p/s as well?

I don't have 4ps to test with, so I can't say for sure.
I do know that the tips for the er-6i and the er-4 series phones are
the same. Etymotic has confirmed this when I talked to their support people.
Now, they are offering the er-4 series foamies as options for the er-6i phones.
It's just based on the diameter of the sound tube it appears.

Happy listening,
-Jeff

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 15

ifer

New Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965

i got to agree on this. i tried on the flanges... i even have ety to send samples of the 6i different flanges and foamies to me.

at the end of the day... it's only the flesh tone foamies that i find fit.

sigh!

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 15

BushGuy

Headphoneus Supremus
or the more satisfying alternative.............save the money spent on replacement tips and end it all by getting custom molds done
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread