Ety 4S! No! 4P! No! Yes! Crap!
Jan 8, 2002 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Surfaday

Head-Fier
Ok. I'm disgusted. Over the course of this evening I've spent a couple of hours pouring over threads about the Ety 4P and the Ety 4S.

I have been absolutely sure I want the 4S's since I have a JMT CHA47 amp for my Grado SR-225's and I want the best sound possible.

Then a minute later, or rather, a thread later I will be absolutely sure I want the 4P's since I figure an amp will only help the already easier to drive 4P and a little bass wouldn't hurt, plus what *if* I didn't have my amp? <Gasp!!>

Then I want a 4S again then a 4P plus adaptor cable, etc, etc. Dang it!!

I suppose one thing that is an indication of is that I will be happy with either since everyone seems to love their Ety model, regardless of which one it is.

I have a Sony D-E 565 pcdp that touts a 15mw output at the headphone jack and has an optical/line out.

I listen to all kinds of music including rock, classical, jazz, blues, and techno/drum 'n bass.

Any opinions either way despite what I've read in threads? I'm going to be ordering a pair in the next couple of weeks or so.

Thanks for putting up with yet another Ety question!

Walt

Jan 8, 2002 at 8:40 AM Post #2 of 32
What will be your main use for these phones? Portable? Home use? Or both? That should be the main determining factor.

If you plan to use them exclusively at home, the 4s with an amp is the way to go. Exclusively for portable use without an amp, the 4p is the best bet. Mixed use home/portable-with/without an amp, get the 4p and get an adaptor cable made for you (or make it yourself). That way, you can use the 4p without the adaptor cable for easy non-amped listening, or you can snap on the adaptor and get the full benefit of your amplifier.

I only own the ER-6's, so I can't comment on the sound quality of any of the above suggestions. The ER-6 is an excellent value for the price, but does not provide the dead-quiet isolation that the ER-4 series seems to afford.

cajunchrist

Jan 8, 2002 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 32
Surfaday,

Although I listen mainly to classical, I was nearly in your position when I ordered my 4s's. That is, I had an amp (HA-1 Corda) and a higher-output pcdp (Radio Shack 4004). What I did not have was a reliable source for the P-to-S adapter. That was just being worked out and revealed on Headwize as I was doing my ordering.

Well, my view here is that one's fussbudget factor should be considered. I knew that I would never rest satisfied with less than the most accurate unit, even though I knew the differences would be very small.

If you're of the same bent, stick with the S. You've got enough equipment to make them work well. I use my pcdp quite often for bedtime listening, and 15mw is plenty. There's plenty of bass too enough not to need any exaggeration.

In the absence of any inclination to perfectionism, then I would second cajunchrist's recommendation and let function choose for you.

Jan 8, 2002 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 32
The ONLY way I would buy the ER4S is if I had a nice external amp and I knew that I would always have it with me. Otherwise, the ER4P are going to sound better, and you can easily get the adapter cable and use it when you do have a good amp.

Jan 8, 2002 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 32
When I was trying to decide between the 4S & 4P the first question I asked was "does the 4P with adapter sound IDENTICAL to the 4S". I was told by HeadRoom and other posters it does. I then saw other posts saying the 4S sounds acceptable from the headphone out of certain higher output portable CD's, namely the SL-CT570 & Sony D-25, both of which I have. So far I listen to both portables with an RA-1 100% of the time. I went with the 4S. The 4P with adapter is more versatile, but the 4S in my situation is perfect. It's not quite as good out of the headphone jack as with the RA-1, but then neither is the 4P.

Still confused?
confused.gif

Jan 8, 2002 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 32
I've heard that the 4P with adapter sounds *better* than the 4S because they can use higher quality components (=resistor! :What?: ) in the external adaptor for 4P compared to the 4S

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 8, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 32
I would get a ER-4P, then get an adaptor. You can get the adaptor through Dan Pumphrey or by getting a Porta Corda, whose 120 ohm adaptor has a similar effect.

The ER-4P is nice, because if you ever want a "super-portable" system, you can use the ER-4P directly out of a portable. Then, you can use the adaptor if you want a less portable but higher quality system. Plus, the ER-4P's cable is made of a material that's less microphonic than the ER-4S's. In other words, the ER-4S's cable is more rigid, so it makes more noise when it rubs against your clothing. The ER-4P's cable is made of a softer, more rubbery material, which will make less noise when it bumps against you.

Jan 9, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 32
Thanks for the link, I checked it out and now I have a question. If the drivers for the 4S & 4P are identical and the resistance that makes them the S or P version is contained in the module the shirt clip attaches too....it seems to me that the P to S conversion cable makes perfect sense, but the conversion from S to P seems awkward at the driver as shown at the web site. Couldn't you just chop out the shirt clip module, attach the drivers to a stereo plug that could connect to a home made module with any resistance choice you wish and then on to another connector to your stereo?

This question is more for people who have the 4S. Am I missing something?
confused.gif

Jan 9, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 32
Oh boy, starting this thread was a big help. LOL!
confused.gif

Yesterday I was leaning towards the 4S due to the fussbudget factor, today I am thinking of the 4P cuz I'm so lazy I may not always have my amp with me. But, being lazy, do I want to live with yet another adaptor cable if I ever want to make it a 4S?? (Not to mention my far-from-audiophile ears).

But thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the help.

At this millisecond I am 50.0000001% sold on the 4P.

I guess the ultimate solution would be to own both, or buy both and return the one that I don't want. <sigh>

Walt
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 32
I don't want to be blunt, but since I'm never going to be posting on this board after this month I don't give a crap.
The only reason why you would get an Ety 4S is if you are buying one used. The Ety 4P has a better cable, an adapter that converts it into a 4S (while also acting as a cable extension for that oh so short cord to get to your amp), and works better with low power sources (ie. all current CD Players).
So what's the deal? Better cable, more options, more efficiency = best choice!
THERE is no reason to get the Ety 4S. Even if you always have an amp, having the less microphonic 4P cable is a true benefit. Can anyone out there rationalize this? The adaptor can come in all shapes and sizes (small like the PCs 120Ohm adapter all the way to Fixup's premium extension).
ARGH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back