Ety 4P with adapter vs 4S -- Am I missing something?
May 26, 2005 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spinali

Headphoneus Supremus
Run with me on this and see if I'm missing something, okay? I know I've seen this subject before -- I can't recall where.

I often see the Ety 4P going for about $225, and the 4S for $330. Ety sells an adapter that's said to change the sound of a 4P to a 4S.

Why shouldn't I just buy the 4P with an adapter, pocket the extra change, and have the equivalent of both Etys?

May 26, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 6
You should. Or even better, buy the ER-4P and make an adapter yourself. The only difference between the 4P and 4S is that the 4S has higher resistors in the earpeices. The adapter just puts two 75 ohm metal film resistors in series with the signal paths.

May 26, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
I often see the Ety 4P going for about $225, and the 4S for $330. Ety sells an adapter that's said to change the sound of a 4P to a 4S.

You do? Almost every place I've seen carries the 4S and 4P for the same price (where it's $199, $250, full retail, etc.)

May 26, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 6
I was in the same boat as you. The best price I could find for the P's with the adaptor cable vs the straight s was a $20 difference.

I am glad I went with the P's with the cable. Now I can stream line my system from CD player with amp ( soon headroon micro stack) to an Iriver with just the P headphones.

Get the P with converter the flexability is worth the extra few bucks

May 27, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 6
If you already have the tools (solder and iron, wire cutters/strippers, etc.) you can build a P->S adapter for less than 10 bucks. I used a Radio Shack inline volume control that was $6-7 which I ripped the guts out of. The unfortunate part is that you only need TWO resistors, but if you order high quality stuff from a place like digikey or mouser, you'll probably pay a few bucks shipping on teeny tiny resistors that don't even weigh an ounce.

Unless you only intend to use them in an amped situation, you probably are better off for the sake of flexibility to buy the P and then add an adapter if you want to try out the S sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back