ety-4p or ety4s
Mar 9, 2004 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

md01

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm new to this board and the audiophile scene. I've been planning to get some good gear for the past year. Now the time is right and I want to start with a mobile set up (ipod) that will be conventional enough to be used at home: computer, h/k avr 520, sony dvp-s570d (these components are ok for watching dvds, don't know about their quality for music though). I'll be willing to upgrade the source as time and money permits.

I've narrowed down my choices to either ety-4p or 4s. However, I'm not positve which one though. I'm aware about p-to-s adapter for ety-4p. Would this adapter really make 4p sound just as good as 4s? Should I even consider 4s? Don't understand why etymotic would continue producing 4s model, if 4p can function as both 4p and 4s. There has to be an advantge in getting 4s.

Also, provided I get etys should I get a mobile amp, say total airhead, pimeta, etc or something more powerful (setting aside the mobility issue). Whould ppa be an overkill?

Thanks in advance...

Mar 9, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 19
My understanding is that the adapter cable does make the 4p sound exactly like the 4s. But it does cost extra money, hence the market for the 4s. I personally never listen to a source without an amp, so the 4s fits my needs best; no extra cable hanging around, and no extra money paid for the cable.

The basic difference between the two, soundwise, is that the 4p has exaggerated bass response, while the 4s has a more even presentation. How noticeable the difference is, I don't know; I've never listened to the 4p, I've only seen Etymotic's comments on it and their frequency response graphs.

Mar 9, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 19
I have the Etys 4S. Although it is supposed to be harder to drive than the Etys 4P, I never had problems using the 4S unamped with my portables. The 4S are pretty efficient and even my portable MD player's puny 5mw ouput could drive it to satisfacorily loud volumes.

But, perhaps the 4P might sound better with a low powered source. The 4P owners on this forum might be able to help you out here.

As for getting an amp. Getting an amp that outclasses your current source could be beneficial. You wouldn't have to ditch the amp when you upgrade your source. However, you must be careful not to choose an amp that is critical (i.e. reveals the faults) of lower quality sources.

On the other hand, if you have not upgrade plans for this system, a $200+ amp would fit the bill. In addition to the TAH and pimeta, you might also want to check out the Corda Porta.

Mar 9, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 19
md01 --

Please make the decision easier on yourself...
Just order a P to S adapter and decide for yourself.

The above is exactly what I did... And...
After a while, I found the ER-4S to be better.

The fact that your mileage may vary is so important here.
We cannot convince you... Some say the 4S, others the 4P.

Scott

Mar 9, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 19
Thanks for your quick responces... I see your point about the extra cost of p-to-s cable. Sounds like either config will be good for my untrained ears.
basshead.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
I have the Etys 4S. Although it is supposed to be harder to drive than the Etys 4P, I never had problems using the 4S unamped with my portables. The 4S are pretty efficient and even my portable MD player's puny 5mw ouput could drive it to satisfacorily loud volumes.

Same here, though my pcdp's do more than 5mw. Unless you need exaggerated bass for some pop recordings, I think the 4S does the job.
Also, the Ety are so good that I don't think you need to worry about "overamping" them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 19
The 4P with conversion cable combo is great for those of us who travel on a regular basis. I use the ER-4P when I travel w/o an amp with my iPod or mini -- it is true that the Pods can power the 4S if they have to, but it require >3/4 volume and the sound has always seemed a little "forced" to me. I prefer to use the 4P at much lower volumes (saves a little battery life in the process) and reserve the conversion cable-d 4S for when I am amped up. I prefer the flatter detailed repsonse of the 4S to the 4P but there are actually many more occasions where I want the 4P due to portable listening. With the cable (or an amp like Xin's SuperDual/Mini/Micro, TAH, etc. that offers an additional impedance switch) I can have the best of both worlds.

Mar 9, 2004 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 19
let me just say welcome to the ER4 club. You will not be dissapointed with the purchase. They are sex to your ears.

Mar 9, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by cmascatello
The 4P with conversion cable combo is great for those of us who travel on a regular basis. I use the ER-4P when I travel w/o an amp with my iPod or mini -- it is true that the Pods can power the 4S if they have to, but it require >3/4 volume and the sound has always seemed a little "forced" to me. I prefer to use the 4P at much lower volumes (saves a little battery life in the process) and reserve the conversion cable-d 4S for when I am amped up. I prefer the flatter detailed repsonse of the 4S to the 4P but there are actually many more occasions where I want the 4P due to portable listening. With the cable (or an amp like Xin's SuperDual/Mini/Micro, TAH, etc. that offers an additional impedance switch) I can have the best of both worlds.

Have you actually noticed any increase in battery life when using the P? I was reading some posts and they said the internal amp uses very little power and that most of the power is consumed by the hard drive. So a bigger drain would be higher bit files and constantly switching songs.

I prefer the S on the ipod even without an amp most of the time. The P works better for the gym since it's less critical and more bass seems to help the workout by giving you some rhythm.

I have an older sony pcd and it does not even have enough power to drive the S so it's nice to have the P with the S converter just in case.

Mar 9, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 19
There is a comparison review in the featured headphones section comparing the two.

Mar 9, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 19
The 4s sounds better in all areas than the 4p (I have both). JMHO.

Mar 9, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 19
Thanks everyone, a lot of good feedback on this forum.

Quote:

You can check out this thread (amongst others) where we strongarmed Vedder323 (congrats!) into his choice: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/show...;threadid=63980

This forum is very active. Even after all the searches performed, I still missed a few threads.

Quote:

There is a comparison review in the featured headphones section comparing the two.

Ah, I sent so much time reading the threads, I didn't notice the review section... thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back