ety-4p or ety4s
Mar 9, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #16 of 19
I recently sent in my ER-4S to Etymotic. I had them convert my ER-4S to ER-4P because I wanted the new braided cord. I would definately recommend the ER-4P. The new cord fixes the biggest problem I had with the ER-4S (microphonic cord).

I purchased a ER-4P to ER-4S adapter cable so I can still get the (imo) better ER-4S sound when I am using my amp. However the new ER-4P goes great with my ultraportable Creative Nomad Muvo NX mp3 player.

Recommendation: ER-4P with adapter cable

=)

Mar 10, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by iamdone
Have you actually noticed any increase in battery life when using the P? I was reading some posts and they said the internal amp uses very little power and that most of the power is consumed by the hard drive.

That's what people say...yet I found that my iPod's battery life seemed clearly longer after I added an amp and was able to drive my ER-4S's with the iPod volume at 20% or so instead of 80+%.

Mar 10, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by episiarch
That's what people say...yet I found that my iPod's battery life seemed clearly longer after I added an amp and was able to drive my ER-4S's with the iPod volume at 20% or so instead of 80+%.

If you're using an amp, don't you use the line-out with the dock or the Sik imp, leaving the ipod volume at 0%.

If you are using a 1st or 2nd gen, you still need to set the volume at about 80% with amp to get the best sound. At 20%, you will have very little dynamic range.

edit: Sorry this is off topic and belongs in the portable section.

on topic: Get the P with the adapter.

Mar 10, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #19 of 19
Mine's a G2, and I use it with a rare Supermini that has no volume control (Xin argues against omitting the volume control, but he built at least one without, and I bought it from the original owner). So no option to run the iPod at higher volume...but dynamics are very satisfying nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back