The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Jan 25, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #406 of 2,164
Its an easy thing to say,
prove it then.
Like the 802.11 standard is the Bible and answer to everything like how the physics of how electricity works and how noise can travel in it.
You did great explaning how electrical noise can travel in a chain in an relativly easy way to understand. I am saving it in my notebook incase i forget how it works.

How do you know your not spreading misinformation about noise in electricity is not an real thing effecting audio in a music system chain with digital devices for us to hear? Thats Not effecting the data in ethernet like @blucar explained.
Prove it.
More peoples listening experiences shared online points more to its real, Yes its good to be aware of placebo and what is a real change or not, this i have learned from this thread. An obvious big change i would be certain about like a constant change in tonality for exe.

Marketing materials valued over science and documented standards. How 2020.

Burden of proof is yours here - should be trivially easy for the vendors to produce objective data supporting these claims which would be added to 802.11 in the next update of the standard once peer reviewed. Yet it never happens, despite how it would drive sales like nothing else...

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #407 of 2,164
Its an easy thing to say,
prove it then.
Like the 802.11 standard is the Bible and answer to everything like how the physics of how electricity works and how noise can travel in it.

There are various 802 specs, including 802.11.

And for networks, yes, the 802 specs are the Bible of the Ethernet and WiFi religions.

How do you know your not spreading misinformation about noise in electricity is not an real thing effecting audio in a music system chain with digital devices for us to hear? Thats Not effecting the data in ethernet like @blucar explained.
Prove it.
More peoples listening experiences shared online points more to its real, Yes its good to be aware of placebo and what is a real change or not, this i have learned from this thread. An obvious big change i would be certain about like a constant change in tonality for exe.

I can't quite parse what you're saying.

Sure, there's a placebo effect, and it's quite real. Nothing wrong with it.

But when we're talking about physics, there are no placebos. Or feelings. Just facts.

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #408 of 2,164
There are various 802 specs, including 802.11.

And for networks, yes, the 802 specs are the Bible of the Ethernet and WiFi religions.

I can't quite parse what you're saying.

Sure, there's a placebo effect, and it's quite real. Nothing wrong with it.

But when we're talking about physics, there are no placebos. Or feelings. Just facts.

But facts are subject to change with new discoveries. Developments in hifi have generally come from passionate enthusiasts trying to solve problems, where big corporates dont see a profit. Jitter's a good example. In 80s and 90s audio enthusiasts were reporting it and simultaneously were accused as heretics, now sure enough its a recognised thing. At the time we were marketed to that CD was as good as it could ever get. mmm. Healthy skepticism is great, but also an acceptance that we now know might be temporary and subject to change is even healthier. All i can suggest is select carefully from companies with trusted returns policies and if you enjoy the results trust your ears. Theres no set of measurments out there, which can measure everything the ear hears.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #410 of 2,164
So it turns out that streaming does actually sound better from the daisy chained Netgear QoS switch - less bright/metallic and smoother.
Different systems will show up different traits more than others - my Marantz PM-KI Ruby and Holo Spring DAC now show me more.

Each switch will remove noise so there should be some incremental benefit, but each switch will also or anything active with mains connection will also emit noise of its own which then piggy back's the data stream. If this is working for you, then try adding a decent filter after the last switch and you'll be amazed, especially with a lovely DAC upstream like the holo spring. Obviously i have a horse in this particular race, but there are other lesser filters available :wink:

Feb 21, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #412 of 2,164
I bought one delock 62619 surge protector. And connected it between streamer and switch i did not like the result. Supra cat 8 to streamer from delock and cat 5e from delock to switch. I thought i heard more sizzle in sss in vocals, other then that i cant say i heard a difference.

Maybe it was the cat 5e that i had to use between delock and switch that made that sound if i speculate or delock it self. That breaks the chain of supra cat 8 all the way for me. I prefered pure supra with no break ups that gives me more peace of mind. I will probebly not waste money getting a 0,5m supra cat 8 to try supra all the way with delock. After all its just a surge protector and most likely wont filter out any usefull noise to be heard. Allthough spec says Inductive galvanic isolation.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #413 of 2,164
Yes too many combinations to test. Try a good quality switch in between to see if there’s any difference but that still requires you to get another cable

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #414 of 2,164
I bought 2 ifi ipower x and replaced the standard power supplys for tp link ax 50 router and netgear gs108 switch. At first day listening i did not hear any difference but one week later i noticed my system have never sounded this good before. So maybe there was som hours burn in time.

From streamer.
Fatest bass i have heard. Now HD800S is bass king maybe not with sub bass because hp limitation but with mid bass. More warmer smoother bass with more air its like its leaving the hp and hoover more around and more articulate.

Treble harden up less and sound more sofisticated and detailed less sibilance more articulate.

Less glare and grain in voices.

Overall a cleaner smoother warmer open richer airier sound with less listening fatigue. Nicer sounding. Details is easier to hear. Probebly more dynamic also because sound dont collapse harden up as much at both ends, mute bass and treble information that was lost . I dont suspect placebo

Even my Apple TV 4k got cleaner/sharper picture with my oled tv and with same sound improvement.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #415 of 2,164
Interesting product. I think this can be a good performer.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #416 of 2,164
Apr 15, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #417 of 2,164
I bought 2 ifi ipower x and replaced the standard power supplys for tp link ax 50 router and netgear gs108 switch. At first day listening i did not hear any difference but one week later i noticed my system have never sounded this good before. So maybe there was som hours burn in time.

I'd say that you had to get used to new power supplies first, which usually takes some time :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 16, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #418 of 2,164
you should upgrade every cable. From experience the cable closest to the streamer is the most sensitive.

your pc parts are actually quite noisy due to the power supply and type of capacitors, if it’s made of the usual store bought pc parts. Therefore it injects noise into the sound output and by having a better cable, hopefully it reduces the noise transfer to the steamer

check out the crazy build below. fanless cpu, intel opane ssds getting installed, mundorf gold/silver wires, and there is an external custom linear power supply

CardsInstalled.thumb.jpg.61ee7c0b4192b9e703163669f43217e0.jpg
OH MY LORD! What XDDDDDDDDDDD

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #420 of 2,164
Now listening with the original power suplys again to router and switch to be sure it was not placebo. Now the magic is gone who unpressed the highres Button. Bass lacking thin sounding unclear sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back