The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Nov 21, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #1,681 of 2,205
What negative effect do you suppose there is to lifting the shield at one end? This technique is used in Melco, Sablon and Audioquest ethernet cables, among others I'm sure.
Unterminated end acts as an antennae. I hate to argue on a basic things. Maybe @camrector will help.
:frowning2:

I am also in favour of limiting link speed to 100Mbps. Cable with two pairs is better than a cable with four pairs. Unused pairs interfere, even there are propetly terminated.

Our perception of resolution is frequently affected by brightness, so when I detect brightness, I disregard resolution.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #1,682 of 2,205
Unterminated end acts as an antennae. I hate to argue on a basic things. Maybe @camrector will help.
:frowning2:
I'm certainly not arguing, just asking. Since there may be an antenna effect, it would make sense to add a ferrite core or ferrite beads to the cable. I use them on all of my AC and DC power cables. I will have to experiment with using them on some ethernet cables.

Have a look at this: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ng-on-page-92/?do=findComment&comment=1260895
Our perception of resolution is frequently affected by brightness, so when I detect brightness, I disregard resolution.
Good point! Just before reading your post, I had modified my post above. I originally wrote that the Gb cable was "more detailed", and I changed it to read "The Gigabit cable sounds brighter, which pushes detail forward."

Brightness emphasizes detail, and digital distortion often causes a brighter sound, sometimes referred to as "false detail".

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #1,683 of 2,205
I'm certainly not arguing, just asking. Since there may be an antenna effect, it would make sense to add a ferrite core or ferrite beads to the cable. I use them on all of my AC and DC power cables. I will have to experiment with using them on some ethernet cables.
OK, I had problems when I was trying to argue, it makes me oversensitive.

Ferrite bead just split a waveguide in two parts. Termination is better. And for frequencies close to 100MHz is ineffective. The best use of ferrites is for power cables, where concentration of noise energy is in the 100kHz range.

Another use is for shielded data cables where a shield do not convey data, i.e. USB cables. However I don't use ferrite beads in places where my intention is to redirect ground loops to some external power supply.

By example: PC - - - - self powered USB hub - - - - DAC.

You can guess, no ferrites on the cable between PC and a hub, but ferrites between hub and a DAC. With such arrangement we may not need a DDC.
:)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #1,684 of 2,205
So, I just received the replacement, and it's already evident that the first unit was defective. I have the replacement plugged into my work station, and it has not dropped connection once. It took the standard 60 seconds to find the ip address and the blue light indicator has remained solid so far. It's working flawlessly so far. The real test is when I get it home and connect it to my main system.

Edit:
2 hours in, and still connected without any issues or drops. It's looking good.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #1,685 of 2,205
It connected to my main system perfectly, without any issue whatsoever. It sounds even better than the first unit that was sent...

With the SW-10, there is a perceptible increase in three dimensionality, information of room size and space of the recording, and the positioning of singers and musicians is delineated much better.
If I was to elaborate on that last point, musicians and performers inhabit their own space noticeably better and the contributions of each are made easily distinguishable from one another, while still being cohesive with the overall song/track. This feels like a dac upgrade, and this was even without a upgraded power cord. I did place an order for a better power cord which will arrive next week.

I am using the reclocker from the SW-10 to reclock the Etherregen.

Modem-> Router -> LHY FMC(Fiber Media Converter) + Finisar 1318 sfp -> Finisar 1318 SFP+LHY SW-10 -> Etherregen -> Jcat

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #1,686 of 2,205
It connected to my main system perfectly, without any issue whatsoever. It sounds even better than the first unit that was sent...

With the SW-10, there is a perceptible increase in three dimensionality, information of room size and space of the recording, and the positioning of singers and musicians is delineated much better.
If I was to elaborate on that last point, musicians and performers inhabit their own space noticeably better and the contributions of each are made easily distinguishable from one another, while still being cohesive with the overall song/track. This feels like a dac upgrade, and this was even without a upgraded power cord. I did place an order for a better power cord which will arrive next week.

I am using the reclocker from the SW-10 to reclock the Etherregen.

Modem-> Router -> LHY FMC(Fiber Media Converter) + Finisar 1318 sfp -> Finisar 1318 SFP+LHY SW-10 -> Etherregen -> Jcat

Great stuff - a long road to get there, but worth the wait by the sounds. With a tweaked SW-8 (incl power cords, vibration damping & chassis grounding) and an OCK-2 (which the updated blurb of the SW-10 product page says it's OCXO is equivalent to) I can imagine the sort of performance lift you are getting. Impressive that it improves on the highly rated EtherRegen.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #1,687 of 2,205
Great stuff - a long road to get there, but worth the wait by the sounds. With a tweaked SW-8 (incl power cords, vibration damping & chassis grounding) and an OCK-2 (which the updated blurb of the SW-10 product page says it's OCXO is equivalent to) I can imagine the sort of performance lift you are getting. Impressive that it improves on the highly rated EtherRegen.
Yeah, now that I've gotten a good unit, I'm glad I took the leap. I would say that this level of upgrade was worth the initial frustration.

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #1,688 of 2,205
I tried adding ferrite beads to the first and last ethernet cables in my network. Bad, just bad! Compressed soundstage, depressed air and treble.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #1,689 of 2,205
@Tubewin, congratulations on getting one of the many internet music streaming cats skinned so that now you can spend your time just listening to music. The sound floor of my setup was definitely improved/lowered by using iFi iPower X Elite SMPSs on both of my rather inexpensive network switches. Eliminating RFI and EMI are in my opinion the biggest bugaboos when it comes to getting the best sound quality from a music streaming system.

Nov 22, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #1,690 of 2,205
@Tubewin, congratulations on getting one of the many internet music streaming cats skinned so that now you can spend your time just listening to music. The sound floor of my setup was definitely improved/lowered by using iFi iPower X Elite SMPSs on both of my rather inexpensive network switches. Eliminating RFI and EMI are in my opinion the biggest bugaboos when it comes to getting the best sound quality from a music streaming system.
I definitely agree, clean power is very important. I own a 15v ifi ipower elite as well. I had it powering a motu audio interface for my mic/discord setup.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #1,691 of 2,205
So, I opened the unit to make sure that the clock was set to 75 ohms with the dip switch, but it was not. I switched it to 75 ohms as depicted in the picture. My question is what is the other dip switch that says 7dbm and 13 dbm?

Attachments

• IMG_3834.jpg
    IMG_3834.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
Nov 23, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #1,693 of 2,205
@OCC7N I think I agree that the ER is not on par with the SW-10 and LHY FMC. I removed the ER from the chain and now there is less background noise. This might be the end of the Etherregen in my system.

The closest to your source is SW-10?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #1,694 of 2,205
@OCC7N I think I agree that the ER is not on par with the SW-10 and LHY FMC. I removed the ER from the chain and now there is less background noise. This might be the end of the Etherregen in my system.
I own an ER and had the LHY SW-10 on loan for a week. The difference in sound quality comes down to simple preference, they sound different. Neither is better than the other, outright performance depends on which ancillaries are used; power supply, AC and DC cables, clock, fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back