ETA Mini Closed
Sep 17, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #16 of 31
These look very interesting to me.

Any idea how many dB of isolation from the outside world these offer?
My current DT-770 Pro have 13dB isolation according to rtings.com.

Feb 11, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #18 of 31
It has been over 6 months since I got the ETA Mini Closed. I thought I would just do an update.

1. I still have the cans and use it regularly
2. Since my initial review I found a better match with GS-1/mk2 using SE - I think it sounds more coherent driving from unbalanced output rather than balanced from GSX. Source continues to be Emm Labs
3. I initially wrote that the soundstage was below average. However, with a different cable (custom cans) and different amp, the soundstage is average compared with HD6xx series. It goes out a few inches from the head (I notice no in-the-head sound with most recordings and never with any well recorded classical recording). The layering is above average compared with HD6xx, but not close to Focal or HFM.
4. Continue to be fairly open sounding for a closed cans, it's no worse than HD6xx in terms of openness and transparency.
5. Overall an above average effort in terms of sound from a boutique brand that is fairly priced for what you get. It's highly enjoyable due to the great musicality, PRaT, and lack of any wonky frequency frequency response in the upper mid or treble range.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #20 of 31
Another gem of a can hiding on Head-fi after reading the ZMF comparisons in the last page !!

Would buying this can with balanced 4.4" wonk the FR/make it too bitey with the doubling of voltage etc ?

Any of you A/B it with single-end vs balanced ?

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #21 of 31
I find that it really depends upon the amp in question. Some amps are designed to optimize either balanced or single ended output primarily, with one usually being audibly superior to the other.

I imagine there are exceptions, but I'd buy the cable that Best matches the amps you have unless you're itching to upgrade. One of the benefits of the ETA design is that is doesn't need a ton of power to sound good.

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #22 of 31
It has been over 6 months since I got the ETA Mini Closed. I thought I would just do an update.

1. I still have the cans and use it regularly
2. Since my initial review I found a better match with GS-1/mk2 using SE - I think it sounds more coherent driving from unbalanced output rather than balanced from GSX. Source continues to be Emm Labs
3. I initially wrote that the soundstage was below average. However, with a different cable (custom cans) and different amp, the soundstage is average compared with HD6xx series. It goes out a few inches from the head (I notice no in-the-head sound with most recordings and never with any well recorded classical recording). The layering is above average compared with HD6xx, but not close to Focal or HFM.
4. Continue to be fairly open sounding for a closed cans, it's no worse than HD6xx in terms of openness and transparency.
5. Overall an above average effort in terms of sound from a boutique brand that is fairly priced for what you get. It's highly enjoyable due to the great musicality, PRaT, and lack of any wonky frequency frequency response in the upper mid or treble range.
Still have the cans. Not as good as E3 technically but way easier to drive and easy to listen to (laid back upper mid) without any listening fatigue. I regularly take them with me on trips and they work well out of MBP M1 and M2.

One issue I have is over time the 3.5mm jacks on the cans started to lose connection if I tilt my head a certain way. It’s not enough for me to send the cans back to Ev for repair but may need to do that sometime down the road.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #23 of 31
... One issue I have is over time the 3.5mm jacks on the cans started to lose connection if I tilt my head a certain way. It’s not enough for me to send the cans back to Ev for repair but may need to do that sometime down the road.
Mine did that right out of the box. Not quite badly enough to send them back. I did send them back for repair last week due to other problems. Eagerly awaiting their return.

In terms of SE vs XLR, I didn't notice anything in particularly when I changed from SE to XLR. There's more power and clarity with XLR. Tonally, seemed the same.

Feb 23, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #24 of 31
Mine did that right out of the box. Not quite badly enough to send them back. I did send them back for repair last week due to other problems. Eagerly awaiting their return.

In terms of SE vs XLR, I didn't notice anything in particularly when I changed from SE to XLR. There's more power and clarity with XLR. Tonally, seemed the same.
Can you indicate which other issues came up ? I'm outside USA, so reliability is a consideration.

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #25 of 31
Can you indicate which other issues came up ? I'm outside USA, so reliability is a consideration.
Eta and I are trying to figure that out. Could be a bad cable :fingers_crossed: so not the cans.

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #26 of 31
I think there is a Yaxi (?) foam earpad that can be used with the closed-back..does it adversely affect the sound signature if any of you have tested it ? Bass loss etc..

Pleather or leather won't work for me if its an outdoors walkabout can scenario at times....Koss Sportapro foam style pads are more suited to that scenario for me anyway..

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #27 of 31
I do know that they tried a ton of pads...literally hundreds IIRC, and they only recommended a few. I'm not sure how active @tommytakis is here on Head-Fi, but you could always shot them an email, I found them to be pretty responsive overall.

https://etaheadphones.com/pages/contact

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #28 of 31
Is there any veil or lack in dynamics with this can ? Is the tonality dry/lush ...+ either cool/warm etc ?

I keep circling back to it out of curiosity and also love when the underdog company brings something way beyond its price point...

Apr 12, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #30 of 31
I experienced no veil in my short time with them, and dynamics were very good. They're pretty neutral leaning warm IMO.
Perfect - and then on 'climate' would you say leaning towards dry or slightly wet....

Though wet/lush tends to be a bigger planar trait.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back