ETA Ada: Grado's competitor
Mar 22, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #46 of 51
If the Grado didnt have F-pads installed then your opinion is easily agreeable for the Grados Ive tried. Grado sans F-pads are overall not good ime. Only a few Grado come with F-pads in stock configuration such as 325x which is partly why I chose for this review so wouldnt get massacred like when I compared stock RS2x (L-pad) vs O2. Im guessing that 325x is Grado’s best headphone currently when stock and it’s great…

imo Ada is most different from O2 in terms of bass quantity and quality and overall tone. O2 is slightly bassy, and Ada is slightly mid-centric. O2’s bass quality is supreme while Ada is worse than 325x due to higher roll off.

Ada and typical Grado both have some 2kHz peakiness which seems to be partly key to why they each can sound punchy and fun (colored) adding definition to snare drum and guitar presence. The other key being their open-cell foam pads which allows (naturally) quick bass decay. Grado’s tend to have 2kHz and ~5kHz peaks but can be narrow or low enough in amplitude as to be tolerable while adding a bit of character. Ada’s 2kHz peak seems to be a tad too wide or loud causing sense of overall mid-centric tone.

Some Grado (F-pads) Ive tried that bother me: RS2e (too much ~5kHz), SR60/80 (slightly too much ~5kHz), RS2x (very slightly too much 2kHz like Ada but RS2x not as bad plus more resolving, I plan to sell my RS2x or would trade for O2).

325x and Ada have a lot in common and are both produced in Staten Island, NY (correct me if im wrong).
I admit I havent heard ada so can't comment. But love o2. Never liked a grado I heard but not sure what pads were on them.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #48 of 51
Grado doesnt loan you gear for your website or interview on your podcast? You acquired O2 at a more friendly price?
Never approached grado for a sample. O2 i had minimal discount. Paid nearly full price. And its 100% worth the asking price.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #49 of 51
Related:
Quick PS500e vs RS2x comparison (both using F-pads otherwise no me gusta) from iphone dongle because saying goodbye to RS2x because listed in classifieds.

- PS500e slightly more mid-bass goes a long way and fixes the major issue I have with RS2x. RS2x bass articulate but lacking slightly enough quantity which slightly hurts drum n bass just enough to prefer other Grado and other headphones. RS2x sounds slightly punchier, like here, but sounds less full unfortunately.

- RS2x very slightly more 2-5kHz. RS2x e-guitar very slightly more presence

- 325x tonality prob a mix of both but darker highs. I also have an 80x (F-pad, 325 metal cups) which Ill try to compare later but first impression is that it’s like 325x but more highs.

- Both above 325x in terms of fine detail, can hear more textures in general.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #50 of 51
I've had the Ada for about a month now and they are great. Was able to bring them to Canjam NYC and let a few people hear them too which was fun.
For me they are not as warm or rich as the o2 but still have a great tonality. I find the stage to be a bit wider and the low end less powerful although still plenty. I tend to reach for the Ada more then I do the o2. They've also added this suspension strap to it which significantly improves the comfort for me.

I've tried them on a variety amps including the ibasso dx320, Mass Kobo 475, various speaker amps, and most recently the Apex Teton. It sounds great on anything though, you really don't need anything special to run them. A phone is a great option
IMG_7030.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back