ESW9 vs. UM3X?
Mar 9, 2010 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BoxBoxBox

Aka: AndrewG
How do the portable ESw9 compare with the IEM, UM3X? I love the sound of my UM3Xs how musical they are and sound separation / crispy drums, and smooth sounding. But the ESW9 is interesting me now, since it is wooden and slightly bigger. Which has more potential? I am using pico , which naturally drives the IEMs very easily, would the pico bring out more with ESW9 or are they about equal?

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 14
its like comparing a bike with a car.

both have a smooth sound.....

UM3X have a great instrument separation, smooth vocals.. but the drums dont sound as crispy as Westone 3.

about ESW9...just tried for a short period..so dont remember much...but i remember the reverbs were good on them.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 14
I always assume the headphones to be the cars, as they're more luxurious and bigger, while earphones are motorbikes since they're more about mobility. While both can have great sound quality (just like speed in bikes and cars), the huge difference in size and feel is also there

I love this metaphor so much, lol

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 14
lol...What noturnal is saying is that it's hard to compare the two because they're completely different, one an IEM one and the other is a supra-aural headphone...hard to compare. So it's like saying how does a motorcycle compare to a car...

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiamenguk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always assume the headphones to be the cars, as they're more luxurious and bigger, while earphones are motorbikes since they're more about mobility. While both can have great sound quality (just like speed in bikes and cars), the huge difference in size and feel is also there

I love this metaphor so much, lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol...What noturnal is saying is that it's hard to compare the two because they're completely different, one an IEM one and the other is a supra-aural headphone...hard to compare. So it's like saying how does a motorcycle compare to a car...

thanks for the interpretation.

i love using metaphors in day to day life.

music without bass is like a woman without ... u know what.
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 14
Hahaha.... you get some things with IEMs that you don't get with full sized cans and visa versa.
Price for performance, you're going to get more mileage out of full sized cans but there are some benefits to having IEMs such as portability (obviously) and comfort (varies between models).

Come to think of it, the motorcycle/car analogy is really good. IEMs are more portable and easier to... manage depending on which one you get.
I stick to IEMs because I listen to a lot of music out of the house so I want high quality sound with me inside and out of home.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 14
I second nocturnal's impression about the UM3Xs regarding the missing "pop" in tracks where there's a lot of drum action. While I enjoyed the lush mids (it's as if the singer's just a few inches from your ears!
biggrin.gif
) I kind of missed the treble sparkle, especially in cymbals play. Nonetheless, a great IEM depending on your musical preferences.

As for the ESW9...I don't know if it's the can that I had auditioned in a local meet here just a week ago. But based on what I heard, it's quite good as far as the openness and the energy of the cans are concerned. However, I still preferred the "transparency" of the UM3x (that is, the absence of a "sound barrier" between the driver and the ears; for me, it's how music should sound like when you hear it live).

HTH.
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayaTlab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The analogy is good until we speak about isolation, undoubtedly much more better in a car.

What if the cyclist wore IEMs while he rode? Ionno some flush customs that fit inside of his helmet?
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't wear IEMs while you drive :/

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if the cyclist wore IEMs while he rode? Ionno some flush customs that fit inside of his helmet?
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't wear IEMs while you drive :/

I heard of people doing this, but they complain that the motorcycle noise drowns out the music, even with high isolation customs.

Lol.

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 14
The ESW9s are rather easy to drive- a Pico should do quite fine.

As for the differences, from memory the ESW9 was darker with a more liquid and thumpy bass.

The UM3x was more evenly balanced and never felt slow to my ears.

Good luck with your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back