ESW9 just broke.....what can I do to fix it?!?!
Jun 14, 2010 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

avocado

Head-Fier
So tragedy of tragedies, I was listening to some music when my roommate wanted to talk to me and, when I went to remove my headphones the right cup snapped off from the headband!! It's a mostly clean break, almost directly underneath where it says 'right', and everything still works (except for the part where it's not longer attached to anything).

I bought these headphones new from a store while studying abroad in Japan, so I know they're legit, and I've more or less been treating them like my first-born child since I got them, which was a little more than a year ago. Although I have upgraded to some nicer equipment since then, the ESW9s are my favorite portable for walking around outside, not to mention the only decent headphones I have that are closed. Most upsetting is that these were my first foray into the audiophile world and have a lot of sentimental value.

I'm sorry that I don't have pictures, but I'm currently without a camera and my cellphone is a POS. Just imagine the 'phone with one of the ear pieces missing, you'll get the point. I don't have any of the documentation with me so I'm not sure if there's a warranty on it (or if it's even valid from the US), and I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction as to what could be done beyond slapping some super glue on the plastic and calling it a day.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm eagerly awaiting some replies!!

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 6
Why don't you give Audio Technica a call? They might be able to fix that (for a fee)

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 6
Trying searching the site. I've read at least a couple threads from others breaking a pair and trying to fix it. I forget if they were able to order replacement parts.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 6
This just happened to me too and your thread was the top in the search results.  What ever came of this.  If your break was the same as mine at the pivot, and it sounds like it was, it can be fixed w/a new 'Y' bracket.  Does AT sell them?

Thanx.

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 6
You're in NYC?

Try this guy:

http://www.headphonerepair.com/

edit: damn, his prices have gone up... I guess success is getting to his head.
Quote:
So tragedy of tragedies, I was listening to some music when my roommate wanted to talk to me and, when I went to remove my headphones the right cup snapped off from the headband!! It's a mostly clean break, almost directly underneath where it says 'right', and everything still works (except for the part where it's not longer attached to anything).

I bought these headphones new from a store while studying abroad in Japan, so I know they're legit, and I've more or less been treating them like my first-born child since I got them, which was a little more than a year ago. Although I have upgraded to some nicer equipment since then, the ESW9s are my favorite portable for walking around outside, not to mention the only decent headphones I have that are closed. Most upsetting is that these were my first foray into the audiophile world and have a lot of sentimental value.

I'm sorry that I don't have pictures, but I'm currently without a camera and my cellphone is a POS. Just imagine the 'phone with one of the ear pieces missing, you'll get the point. I don't have any of the documentation with me so I'm not sure if there's a warranty on it (or if it's even valid from the US), and I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction as to what could be done beyond slapping some super glue on the plastic and calling it a day.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm eagerly awaiting some replies!!

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 6
Yes, both NYC and Long Island.  Thanx for that.  I also read other posts after and I think I can buy replacements for the delicate pivot attachment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back