ESW10JPN v. UE9: Help me decide!
Dec 22, 2008 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

ghostmusic

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, guys. After much research (mainly in this forum), I've saved up and I'm finally ready to make the plunge. Very excited to make this Christmas purchase for myself! I'd like to get a pair of headphones that I will use a lot, both on the road and at home. The two finalists are ESW10JPN and UE9. For portable, it'll be 4G iMod (amp undecided - I'd appreciate recommendation here, too). At home, I use Cary 300SEI integrated amp, of which headphone output is directly coupled to output transformers... excellent sound, IMO.

Anyway, thanks for your help & I'd appreciate all comments re: ESW10JPN v. UE9. (Other recommendations will be appreciated as well!)

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 30
I haven't heard them yet, as I find the UE9s difficult to audition in stores. But I heard their sound signature is significantly bass-heavy... some people seem to really love the pace that the UE9s bring to the music...

One reservation I have about the ESW10JPN is that they're not circumaural and it seems they don't provide adequate isolation?

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 30
I find them comfortable enough, but yes, they sit on your ears, not around them. They're as isolating as I need them to be. If you need more, you probably should look into custom IEMs instead.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 30
I'm set to try the ESWs today, and will see if they're isolating enough. I actually find absolute seal that the IEMs provide kind of eerie... and prefer headphones for their soundstage.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 30
I own these headphones and think they're both great. Ed9 is definitely more isolating than the ESW10's. I like the ESW10's for the office BECAUSE they don't isolate too much. (I like to hear a little of what's going on around me.) I also like how they're easy to fling on and off my head and fit comfortably around the neck. (Ed9 are bulky and make it difficult to move the head as easily when worn around the neck.) The short cable is also a plus for use at my desk.

As for SQ, I think they're both pretty darn tasty... just different flavors.

Although I haven't even heard it yet, I think I'd recommend Ray's P-51 Mustang for your amp. Apart from being very small and sounding delicious generally speaking, Lil' Knight says the synergy with the ESW10JPN is breathtaking. It's supposed to sound great with the Ed9, too.

I'd be happy to attempt answers at more specific questions, should you have them, too.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 30
I personally prefer the ESW10JPN. The ED9 is bass heavy and quite heavy (in weight). Both of them are not comfortable, but the ED9 is better on a small margin. The ESW10 has impressive bass but by no way for basshead.
The ED9 has very impressive bass and very detailed.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I haven't even heard it yet, I think I'd recommend Ray's P-51 Mustang for your amp. Apart from being very small and sounding delicious generally speaking, Lil' Knight says the synergy with the ESW10JPN is breathtaking. It's supposed to sound great with the Ed9, too.

That's quite a comment. You're recommending an amp you haven't heard because it sounds delicious.

Dec 22, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 30
grawk,

You're right. I have been really impressed with what people have been saying about the P-51. As I said, Lil' Knights comments about P-51+ESW10JPN, in particular, stuck out in my mind. Also, based on what I've read of the amp and my experience with the phones lead me to believe they would be a great match, Lil's comments aside. Of course I was careful to qualify my statements.

Dec 22, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

You're right. I have been really impressed with what people have been saying about the P-51. As I said, Lil' Knights comments about P-51+ESW10JPN, in particular, stuck out in my mind. Also, based on what I've read of the amp and my experience with the phones lead me to believe they would be a great match, Lil's comments aside. Of course I was careful to qualify my statements.

Wanna try to clarify this?
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

I own these headphones and think they're both great. Ed9 is definitely more isolating than the ESW10's. I like the ESW10's for the office BECAUSE they don't isolate too much. (I like to hear a little of what's going on around me.) I also like how they're easy to fling on and off my head and fit comfortably around the neck. (Ed9 are bulky and make it difficult to move the head as easily when worn around the neck.) The short cable is also a plus for use at my desk.

As for SQ, I think they're both pretty darn tasty... just different flavors.

2x, I do have them both.

Now for my amp recommendation....

The UE9 has a funny tendency to make anything attached to it sound great. So if this one is your final choice whatever amp you want will sound it's best as far as I am concern. The better the amp the better the final sound.

As for as the ESW10JPN and an amp is concerned I would suggest if your looking for a portable check out the TTVJ Millet Portable or one of the top three reviewed by Headphoneaddict (Larry). My tube amp, the Yamamoto HA-02 is stunning with the ESW10JPN so that is why I am focused on the portable TTVJ amp. I am getting this as a loaner soon to verify my take on this type of synergy. Larry also says the Practical Devices X5 and Predator are great matches with this headphone.

I think the UE9 is a little large and cable to long for portable use if this is an expectation.

Dec 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #14 of 30
for me the big advantage of the ESW9 and 10 is that you can just grab your ipod and your headphones and go, and not worry about what you're missing. They sound good, they look good, and they're easily transportable.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 30
Thanks for the recommendations. The ease of drive & portability lead me to believe the ESW10s are the ones for me. Awesome... I'm definitely going to check out the Portable Millett from TTVJ... intriguing as far as the hybrid design is concerned, involving tubes. But I'm concerned about their durability, given such a design, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back