Essential work tools?
Oct 1, 2009 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Nausicaa

Head-Fier
Because of my affinity for disaster when doing electronics projects, I've decided to invest in some tools that might be useful to prevent more problems. Please keep in mind that I'm trying to spend as little as possible, but don't want to work with completely horrible tools. I bought an Aoyue 937, 40/60 solder, a scrub, a multimeter, wire strippers, and I'm torn on if I want to buy a pair of helping hands with a magnifying glass or not. I don't know if I should buy audiophile quality wire either. Any commonly used things besides tools will also be considered. Any more suggestions on tools are appreciated and welcome.

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 19
63/37 solder (or anything eutectic) is preferable to 60/40. 60/40 is not eutectic, meaning it goes throw a pasty stage between liquid and solid, which increases the chances of a cold joint.

I'll also throw in a vote for the Panavise Jr. with the circuit board holder, but it's quite a bit more expensive than a third hand tool.

A bottle of flux is also a handy thing to have, along with desoldering braid.

You can get some high quality SPC wire on ebay from the seller Navships, it's like $10 or less for like 20 feet or so. You can use it for wiring inside amps/etc, or braid it and cover it in techflex for interconnect. Mogami is also good cable with multiple conductors for making interconnects, at a good price.

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 19
I have a helping hand but use it only occasionally.
EROP7SA Cooper Tools Hand Tools - Unspecified - curved tweezers - Best $3.74 I ever spent. Exceptional quality for the price and gets nearly as much use as my soldering iron.

I've also used my desoldering pump quite a bit, but I guess that varies from person to person
redface.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 19
X2 on the Panavise. They're indispensable.

You need a good pair (or two or three) of needlenose pliers, a handful of copper clips to use as heatsinks, and a set of solder tools and/or a set of used dental picks. Dental picks are fantastically handy.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 19
If you ever case your projects, you will need to drill holes. I find a decent spring-loaded center punch to be very handy. The cheap ones from Harbor Freight are barely passable - you can get very good ones on eBay for around $20.

A decent soldering iron will save you a lot of headache as well. Weller and Hakko are very well-respected brands.

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 19
Most essential tool for me turned out to be a microscope. A 3.5-90X zoom boom stand scope lets me see what I'm doing and has increased the quality of my work.

X3 on Panavise. Helping hands is a toy.

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 19
which is the most appropriate panavise product?? I hate the helping hands that I have.... I have to clamp those on my regular woodworking vise to get any sort of use out of them would love to have a simpler solution.....

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by aloksatoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which is the most appropriate panavise product?? I hate the helping hands that I have.... I have to clamp those on my regular woodworking vise to get any sort of use out of them would love to have a simpler solution.....

I have this one... Model 324 Electronic Work Center

324large.gif

It's the best thing going for holding boards in any orientation. It is also totally useless for anything other than circuit boards.
smily_headphones1.gif

I use the $5 helping hands every time I put a connector on a cable or anything like that.

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 19
"helping hands" are near worthless.

Flux in a bottle is, IMHO, a disaster waiting to happen. Unless you mean a bottle with a needle applicator.

Even then, my #1 favorite way of applying flux is a Kester Flux Pen. They cost a few bucks and you can get one from Mouser or Digikey or Newark the next time you order parts. It's literally a felt-tip pen that lays down a thin layer of liquid flux.

You should get a flux pen, and you should USE it, even if you think your solder is pretty good. Even if your solder is rosin core. It makes things so much easier.

Meh on needle nose pliers - skip those and buy medical surplus hemostats - aka mosquito foreceps - aka "fine-point long-nosed locking pliers made of spring steel". These will lock onto anything up to about the size of a to92 transistor. Perfect when something you need to solder won't sit still. If you don't want to find them online you can get them at medical supply stores, some craft stores, or anywhere that caters to fishermen who tie their own lures. They are cheap - expect to pay no more than $1.50/pr.

Invest in a good pair of small wire clippers.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #15 of 19
For small axial stuff I insert the part and cover the pcb with a soft sponge, then flip the whole thing over and lay it on the bench and solder one lead, then inspect for fit and if it looks good then solder the other lead. For transistors I set the pcb on its edge and let the helping hands hold it vertical, hold the part with one hand and tack it in place with the iron, adjust for fit, then solder all three pins. I really like a small pair of needle nose pliers for adjusting parts and bending leads when the lead forming tool won't work.

How easy does the panavise move around, and can the tension be adjusted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back