Essence STX to DACmajic. Worth $550 for the upgrade???
Sep 29, 2010 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

drez

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering upgrading my source from Essence STX to DACmajic, bit I'm unsure if the additional cost will be justified, especially considering that source money could also go toward more varied headphones...

Has anyone compared the STX and DACmajic (or any other external DAC) directly?

Is the increase in SQ worth the increase in cost?

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 8
I went from a STX to a v-dac. This is pretty personal and while I felt it was worth it, I can easily imagine why others might disagree.

The AD2ks I have didn't sound that interesting with my v-dac but I came to like them with my Bufallo 32S. The point is that it really depends on the rest of your gear. I don't really see the point in having an expensive headphone out an iPod, nor does it make much sense to have an expensive dac used with an AD700.

What are you trying to do and where is you price ceiling? That might answer it for you. The STX is a great piece of gear, especially for the price. As a dac it isn't that bad.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm looking at $1000 maximum for a DAC, but I would prefer something closer to $600 (without considering value of SQ)

Current headphone inventory is an incoming Rs1i, AKG k272 HD, my k701 is for sale...  I might splash out on a darker, richer sounding headphone in the future, thus my dilemma about upgrading my source.

My current amplifier is Burson's HA160, and the aforementioned Essence STX.  Because of this I'm not too keen on DAC's with amps attached, as I don't really feel I need another solid state amp.

Is it a better bet just to roll opamps on the STX?

PS. muscial preference is heavy metal, with some pretty fast kickdrums, as well as some  non-specific classical

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 8
You're bypassing the amp section of the stx.

Seeing you have mid tier-ish gear, it would make sense to transition to a better source. The DacMagic is a popular item but you could look elsewhere.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 8
I'd skip any source in the $500 range if you have STX, the differences are not big enough to justify the price. You're better off getting something at the maximum of your budget and avoid upgrading later.

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 8
Are you in Melbourne? Nick from Clef Hifi sold me one for $490.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back