Essence or Forte/HTHD on a GA-EP45-UD3P, PCI-e x1 (Will it Fit?)
Dec 22, 2009 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Needles

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to make a minor motherboard upgrade in the new year (or Boxing Day, if I find a deal), and I wonder: Is anyone running a PCI-e x1 sound card other than the Creative Titanium with the board (the GA-EP45-UD3P)? Does it fit in the x1 slots above the first x16 slot? Forte would likely be the most popular card, it's also the longest at just shy of 7 inches. If it fits, the HTHD certainly will, as will the Essence STX. I won't be seating it in the bottom PCI x16 slot as that will be occupied by a dedicated PhysX card. EDIT: Looking at pics, comparing my current mobo to the UD3P, it looks like it would fit eyeballing the distance between the slot and the DIMMS that would potentially block it, but having someone confirm would be a real relief.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 27
you can actually check the measurements of the soundcards/the mobo and find out in photoshop or something if you scale it all well
wink.gif

on my GA-P31-DS3L, the STX would fit but only if I removed the two left RAM modules...but this one looks larger.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 27
Do you know what board your going for or just one you would like to get?
I am in the process of collecting up new parts for a new build, so I know what your going through. It seems these companies really don't think about the hardware that will be used in these mobo's and you see boards with useless slots. They are too close to other components to be useful.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Needles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooooh. Good idea.

I had the same issue with my current mobo, the P35-DS3R. I could fit it in the top slot only if I removed the first two modules. The UD3P definitely looks larger, more space between the x16 and the DIMMS.

You are going for X-fire right? If you get a mobo with 3 PCI-E X16 slots
you can use one of those for an audio card also. Just a thought.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 27
lol, only 3 replies in a row?? w/ full quotes I hope
biggrin.gif

fastest free poster in the west, fear his epic power! looking forward to 4 replies in a row, who needs the
edit.gif
button...sissies
headshot.gif

Quote:

definitely looks larger, more space between the x16 and the DIMMS.

only one way to find out
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

I'm looking to make a minor motherboard upgrade in the new year (or Boxing Day, if I find a deal), and I wonder: Is anyone running a PCI-e x1 sound card other than the Creative Titanium with the board (the GA-EP45-UD3P)? Does it fit in the x1 slots above the first x16 slot? Forte would likely be the most popular card, it's also the longest at just shy of 7 inches. If it fits, the HTHD certainly will, as will the Essence STX. I won't be seating it in the bottom PCI x16 slot as that will be occupied by a dedicated PhysX card. EDIT: Looking at pics, comparing my current mobo to the UD3P, it looks like it would fit eyeballing the distance between the slot and the DIMMS that would potentially block it, but having someone confirm would be a real relief.

I just installed the Essence STX in my EP45-UD3P on the topmost slot, it fits with about 3mm left before hitting the ramsink on my ram. Not sure how well the other cards you listed fit, but you could probably derive from the STX.

leeperry: the edit button is a wonderful thing, is it not?

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
only one way to find out
tongue.gif

Yeah. Have someone who owns both the board and the card to tell me if it fits, potentially saving me $109 + tax and shipping.

tongue_smile.gif

I considered that ROBSCIX, but I'm trying to keep the expense on this upgrade reasonable. Moving into 3-way Xfire boards is quite a jump in price. It looks close on the UD3P. The Photoshop idea ain't bad. I may have to try it assuming I can find the exact dimensions of the board ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just installed the Essence STX in my EP45-UD3P on the topmost slot, it fits with about 3mm left before hitting the ramsink on my ram. Not sure how well the other cards you listed fit, but you could probably derive from the STX.

leeperry: the edit button is a wonderful thing, is it not?

YOU WIN! Thanks for that. Now I just need to confirm how long the STX is. I know the HTHD is 6.25 inches. The Forte is 6.964 inches. Now to track down the length of the ASUS card ... EDIT: According to one review, the STX is "approx" 168mm or just north of 6.6 inches. Oh baby. Looking good for the HTHD, not so sunny for the Forte!

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Yeah. Have someone who owns both the board and the card to tell me if it fits, potentially saving me $109 + tax and shipping.

tongue_smile.gif

I considered that ROBSCIX, but I'm trying to keep the expense on this upgrade reasonable. Moving into 3-way Xfire boards is quite a jump in price. It looks close on the UD3P. The Photoshop idea ain't bad. I may have to try it assuming I can find the exact dimensions of the board ...

No,no. I didn't mean specifically look for a 3X Crossfire board just meant if one came up that had another PCI-E X16 slot on it, this may be an option.
Many times a few of the older boards will have X-16 solts but they will only be X8. Do you have a local shop where you could go and look at the board?

Edit: The HTHD is actually not very long at all, definately shorter then the Forte.

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Looking good for the HTHD, not so sunny for the Forte!

oh yes, definitely! you'll tell us if the pitch of the interferences changed slighty, hummm'kay?
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh yes, definitely! you'll tell us if the pitch of the interferences changed slighty, hummm'kay?
tongue.gif

Damn you! Actually, the buzz is only one small reason for the upgrade. Moreso PCI 2.0, much better layout and the fact that the UD3P can overclock 45nm quads like nobody's business.

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Damn you! Actually, the buzz is only one small reason for the upgrade. Moreso PCI 2.0, much better layout and the fact that the UD3P can overclock 45nm quads like nobody's business.

They are good boards. Are you sticking with the same PSU or going for a new model?

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are good boards. Are you sticking with the same PSU or going for a new model?

Naw, the PSU is relatively new. 850w Corsair Professional, more juice than I need for now (enough for 3-way SLI plus change). It has a 7 year warranty or something ridiculous, so if it turns out the PSU is the root of my buzz issue, I'll definitely be giving Corsair a call.

If I can scrape up a good deal on Box Day, I may even move up to a new aluminum full tower case. I'd kill for better airflow and more elbow room compared to this cramped little mid tower Cooler Master. That could also impact the interference issue.

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Naw, the PSU is relatively new. 850w Corsair Professional, more juice than I need for now (enough for 3-way SLI plus change). It has a 7 year warranty or something ridiculous, so if it turns out the PSU is the root of my buzz issue, I'll definitely be giving Corsair a call.

If I can scrape up a good deal on Box Day, I may even move up to a new aluminum full tower case. I'd kill for better airflow and more elbow room compared to this cramped little mid tower Cooler Master. That could also impact the interference issue.

I wasn't sure the exact PSU you were using but Corsairs are pretty good and you have more then enough power there.
This is the perfect time to be building a new rig with the time of year and all the sales you get after the Holidays.
I am building a new rig also for recording and audio production.
Good luck with your gear hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back