ESS 9038 Pro Successor?
Mar 28, 2022 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ericx85

100+ Head-Fier
I remember reading that ESS announced their next chip about a year or two ago, though it seems most dacs using DS are sticking with the 9038 pro and their smaller chips. Was the new pro chip pushed back? I feel like part of the R2R popularity growth I see is manufacturers perfecting and innovating their R2R designs where as ESS kind of just stopped now that AKM is out of the picture.

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 7
At some point, chasing dumb ideas for marketing ceases to make financial sense. These chips are far better and more capable than anyone will need for the forseeable future. Really, analog sections and power supplies are where it's at.

I had also thought AKM was out, but somebody said that it's not true. I haven't looked into it.

Apr 1, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 7
At some point, chasing dumb ideas for marketing ceases to make financial sense. These chips are far better and more capable than anyone will need for the forseeable future. Really, analog sections and power supplies are where it's at.

I had also thought AKM was out, but somebody said that it's not true. I haven't looked into it.
AKM not out of the game; they are struggling mightily though after their factory fire. I am betting they recover. Hoping, anyway. Competition is good.

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 7
No need any... Imagine even better performing dac?
Audiophiles will be furious, because sound would be "too clean, too boring and gonna lack micro/macro details aka distortion and noise" Maybe in a couple of years when chip crysis will be solved.

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 7
No need any... Imagine even better performing dac?
Audiophiles will be furious, because sound would be "too clean, too boring and gonna lack micro/macro details aka distortion and noise" Maybe in a couple of years when chip crysis will be solved.

even Dacs from the late 90's by Burr-Brown are more than 'good enough' for any current audio application and may even still be slightly ahead of the game in some ways with their unique architecture that combines both PCM and DS methodology into a single converter.

But tech has to move forward. Who knows what we may discover out there one day; there may be novel approaches to D/A conversion on the horizon that might make an actual difference in fidelity to the hearer. Whatever the case, progress marches on, for whatever it may be worth.

Apr 9, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 7
I remember reading that ESS announced their next chip about a year or two ago, though it seems most dacs using DS are sticking with the 9038 pro and their smaller chips. Was the new pro chip pushed back? I feel like part of the R2R popularity growth I see is manufacturers perfecting and innovating their R2R designs where as ESS kind of just stopped now that AKM is out of the picture.
There have been recent announcements but it does not appear ESS is replacing the 9038Pro yet.
Typical cadence is 8-10 years, I expect a new flagship DAC from them in 2026 or 2027

The 2022 audiophile DAC range is described below
https://www.esstech.com/products-overview/digital-to-analog-converters/sabre-audiophile-dacs/

The 9038Pro is 91USD from Mouser
The latest 9080 is 7USD from Shaw Electronics, this is a cost reduced chip.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back