ESS 422H
Jul 10, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #16 of 117
As I put more hours on these I am finding that they are very dependent on the source material. Absolutely outstanding on classic 30s and 40s big band jazz recorded in mono and marginal on vocals - particularly in stereo.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #17 of 117
got my new pair, instantly sound better. The main difference is the baffle has been turned around so the tweeter is at the top and the dynamic driver on the bottom. You can do this with the original pair, it takes all of 5 minutes and does make a difference.

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #19 of 117
received my tuned pair yesterday - definitely sounds more open .... still going back and forth on the midrange - will give it a few days

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #20 of 117

NU62: curious, why do you quote posts and not add anything?

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #21 of 117
I took the face plate off one side - my pair must be later production, because the tweeter is on top. However, I am having a really difficult time reattaching the pads. There must be a trick to it, but so far, I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #26 of 117
My replacement set is at the post office for pickup tomorrow. Will take a quick look and listen at them to see what they're like out of the box now, then will set up on my burn in rig and run it for a few days straight.

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #27 of 117
I received my pair 2 weeks ago, and while I like the build and looks (especially at that price point), sound is rather disappointing. Feeling through the driver cover I think I got a pair with the dynamic driver (round) below the AMT (quadratic).

Bass is loose and overpowering, though fun. Voices are not present, mods are missing detail in general. I'll give them some time, but so far they are more of a curiosity to me.

The grip is too much, so they are not that comfortable despite the nice pads. Headband padding's missing completely, the 2,5mm socket seems solid but I think 3,5mm would have been a much better choice. Edit: it is a 3,5mm socket as @elira correctly pointed out. The cable feels cheap and rubbery, tends to coil up. The cups are really nice looking and feeling.

So overall I see potential, but there's work needed...

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #29 of 117
Mine has a 3.5mm socket. At first I thought it was a 2.5mm but it was the cable that makes it look smaller.

Interesting... I'm not at home at the moment, but will have a second look later. That would be very welcome since I'm that case I'd switch cables. The plugs are nice, it's really just the feel of the cable that I don't like (except the possible 2,5mm connection that is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back