ESS 422H
Aug 5, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #106 of 117
Hi, I read your review -- seemed like it was headed for a resounding 'Meh' :)

But then I get to the end and your conclusion was...

Conclusion: The 422H are an interesting headphone, in their stock form they are dark, bassy and a little too full sounding for their own good. Add a little EQ here and there and you get a nice clean, and fairly open sounding headphone. The clamping force is a little strong, but this can likely be fixed. I will mention that if you add some Dekoni Elite Velour Sony 7506 size earpads these open up a lot and no longer require EQ for my tastes.
The 422h are a well crafted, and great looking pair of headphones and, if you are happy to tweak them a little, are good for the price. Stock however I will say there are better headphones for the price.

I guess my question would be how do they compare to the 'better' headphones once you've properly EQ'd them or purchased/installed the Dekoni Elite Velour Sony 7506 size earpads?

BTW...which headphones would you be comparing them to (especially closed) as I'm looking for a solid set of closed cans that I can leave at work without stressing (lower $$, durable, etc.) over them...thanks!

Not ostewart, but I did end up with a very similar experience with the 422H. I swapped my pads to the Shure HPAEC1540 ventilated Alcantera pads and ended up with the same results - a much more balanced sound profile and better comfort to boot.

One thing I quite like about them is the nice imaging within the frequency band of the AMT tweeters, from the mid-bass through the treble. Combined with the warm/rich sound signature I find they shine best for me on heavy electronic tracks, metal with blast beat drums, and surprisingly big orchestral tracks work wonders.

If you're after a very clean/pure detailed sound with a flat response curve and no colouration, the 422H is definitely not the can for you. You'd want these for the same kind of reason someone would want to go for tube amplification over solid state - they prefer their music coloured that particular way. Basically, if the descriptions of the sound throughout this thread have piqued your interest, you'll probably get along fine with them, just know what you're buying into beforehand.

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #107 of 117
Not ostewart, but I did end up with a very similar experience with the 422H. I swapped my pads to the Shure HPAEC1540 ventilated Alcantera pads and ended up with the same results - a much more balanced sound profile and better comfort to boot.

One thing I quite like about them is the nice imaging within the frequency band of the AMT tweeters, from the mid-bass through the treble. Combined with the warm/rich sound signature I find they shine best for me on heavy electronic tracks, metal with blast beat drums, and surprisingly big orchestral tracks work wonders.

If you're after a very clean/pure detailed sound with a flat response curve and no colouration, the 422H is definitely not the can for you. You'd want these for the same kind of reason someone would want to go for tube amplification over solid state - they prefer their music coloured that particular way. Basically, if the descriptions of the sound throughout this thread have piqued your interest, you'll probably get along fine with them, just know what you're buying into beforehand.

Thanks for the reply...very helpful! Have had speakers with these tweeters in the past and enjoyed them. TBH, though, they typically had a nice clarity in the mid to upper registers so the dark/bassy comment surprised me a little. Not sure why ESS would overshadow the mids/trebles to that large an extent when the tweeters can be a joy to listen to.

Don't mind tube amps at all...just gotta be with the right speakers/headphones. :wink:

Think these will do fine at work; gonna give them a go!

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #110 of 117
How would the ESS 422H compare to the Meze 99 classics for those who have had or listen to both?

@AudioManNewb,

Honestly, subjectively & personally, for these headphones, it will depend on your taste in sound, not just music, not to mention source & source quality.

Beginning from a comfort standpoint, as that affects the listening experience more than people realise, for me, both stock pads on both head gear had to be changed out otherwise it was tricky to enjoy either for any length of time.
Not to mention, my 99 Classics is a first run with the slightly thinner pads so it definitely wasn't all that comfortable for longer than 2 hours, wearing them with glasses proved a minor issue as well.
Switching to ZMF Cowhide solved comfort which was priority & tightened up the already good sound for the better in my humble opinion (If you are into pad modding for sound, I am not, I change pads for comfort when necessary)

ESS 422H stock pads were even worse as it created uneven pressure & several hot points on my head which weren't fixed until Brainwavz pads were tried as ZMF Cowhide was kind of overkill from a value standpoint nor did the ones I have for the 99C fit well.

Anyway, from a technical standpoint, the AMT driver on the 422H needs a bit more current (not necessarily power or voltage) to run which is in line with AMT drivers than the 99C which is a straight dynamic.

So now to sound, depending on what sound signature you prefer as well as genre, subjectively & personally, there tends to be a darker flavour on the warm side of the frequency response & spectrum with the 99C where 422H is a lighter variation though the latter can also have a similar dark, warm flavour, especially with good tube amps.

Mids
Continuing in the subjective, 99C has a more balanced mid range where 422H can spike a little with certain pitches, particularly vocal, while not totally unpleasant, cooks the highs a little, it can be abrupt especially when watching Youtube content with not so well recorded audio or the content creator has turned the gain a little too high.

Highs
More balanced overall on the 99C.
As stated, can be a little cooked to over cooked on 422H with certain sources & source quality, especially media related content.

Lows
99C has good emphasis & extension, in line with slightly to more subtle emphasis in line with pro audio tuning rather than bass head tuning.
422H is a little thicker & extension will depend on source & genre so let's say overall it leans towards clinical accuracy.

Overall Sound
While others have reported the 99C to have a relaxed sound, I don't tend to agree as I feel the pacing is more measured, especially against the 422H.

In closing, which one is more enjoyable to listen to will depend on you but in terms of pure enjoyment, I prefer 99C.

Hope this all makes sense, feel free to ask more if you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #111 of 117
@AudioManNewb,

Honestly, subjectively & personally, for these headphones, it will depend on your taste in sound, not just music, not to mention source & source quality.

Beginning from a comfort standpoint, as that affects the listening experience more than people realise, for me, both stock pads on both head gear had to be changed out otherwise it was tricky to enjoy either for any length of time.
Not to mention, my 99 Classics is a first run with the slightly thinner pads so it definitely wasn't all that comfortable for longer than 2 hours, wearing them with glasses proved a minor issue as well.
Switching to ZMF Cowhide solved comfort which was priority & tightened up the already good sound for the better in my humble opinion (If you are into pad modding for sound, I am not, I change pads for comfort when necessary)

ESS 422H stock pads were even worse as it created uneven pressure & several hot points on my head which weren't fixed until Brainwavz pads were tried as ZMF Cowhide was kind of overkill from a value standpoint nor did the ones I have for the 99C fit well.

Anyway, from a technical standpoint, the AMT driver on the 422H needs a bit more current (not necessarily power or voltage) to run which is in line with AMT drivers than the 99C which is a straight dynamic.

So now to sound, depending on what sound signature you prefer as well as genre, subjectively & personally, there tends to be a darker flavour on the warm side of the frequency response & spectrum with the 99C where 422H is a lighter variation though the latter can also have a similar dark, warm flavour, especially with good tube amps.

Mids
Continuing in the subjective, 99C has a more balanced mid range where 422H can spike a little with certain pitches, particularly vocal, while not totally unpleasant, cooks the highs a little, it can be abrupt especially when watching Youtube content with not so well recorded audio or the content creator has turned the gain a little too high.

Highs
As stated, can be a little cooked to over cooked on 422H with certain sources & source quality, especially media related content.

Lows
99C has good emphasis & extension, in line with slightly to more subtle emphasis in line with pro audio tuning rather than bass head tuning.
422H is a little thicker & extension will depend on source & genre so let's say overall it leans towards clinical accuracy.

Overall Sound
While others have reported the 99C to have a relaxed sound, I don't tend to agree as I feel the pacing is more measured, especially against the 422H.

In closing, which one is more enjoyable to listen to will depend on you but in terms of pure enjoyment, I prefer 99C.

I think this is a pretty good summary. I own both and I feel like the Meze, while certainly tuned, is smoother and more integrated top-to-bottom. It is also lighter than the ESS, and the ability to satisfyingly drive it from a cell phone (or underpowered DAP or dongle) is a big plus in my book.

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #112 of 117
I think this is a pretty good summary. I own both and I feel like the Meze, while certainly tuned, is smoother and more integrated top-to-bottom. It is also lighter than the ESS, and the ability to satisfyingly drive it from a cell phone (or underpowered DAP or dongle) is a big plus in my book.

Agreed @Climber !

Have you tried the 99C with tubes as I suggest & recommend you do if you haven't.

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #115 of 117
@AudioManNewb,

Mids

Highs

Lows

Overall Sound

Thank you that was a nice detailed post. Yea I decided to get the 99c and so far I do like them but a pad change might be in need my right ear seems to touch the drivers edge. My current AMP/DAC is the SXFI amp but I am heavily thinking of getting something else.

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #116 of 117
Thank you that was a nice detailed post. Yea I decided to get the 99c and so far I do like them but a pad change might be in need my right ear seems to touch the drivers edge. My current AMP/DAC is the SXFI amp but I am heavily thinking of getting something else.

Well, @AudioManNewb,

Hard to go wrong with ZMF Universal Cowhide so I suggest giving those a shot as mentioned in my previous post.

Well depends on your budget & whether you want something portable or not, plenty of options out there for worthwhile amp/DACS.

If on the go use isn't a concern, hard to go wrong with the Lexicon Alpha or any of the Focusrite Scarlett Range.

Otherwise just use a DAP as a DAC if you need it portable, Shanling M0 or any DAP with DAC functionality is pretty good these days.

Sep 28, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #117 of 117

How would the Shure HPAEC1540 compare to the angled pads you have tried which one came out on top?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back