ESS 422H
Jan 14, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #91 of 117
I'm really happy to hear you found comfort with them once you changed the ear pads!

I will try taking a look at that amp, seems really cool from the photos, also really affordable! :)

@Dobrescu George,

Yes, in our hobby, comfort is important, sometimes more so than the sound ! :)

I doubt you be disappointed in Loxjie P20, be interested to hear your impressions & maybe you can have it in your review queue, considering starting a thread on it if someone hasn't already, as time of writing this, haven't yet checked.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #92 of 117
@Dobrescu George,

Just a random update for you, I got the 422 H & I find it enjoyable, especially once I changed stock pads which for me, more comfort issue than any real alteration to sound.

Good synergy with all my gear & reasonable value for me from last drop on MD, even with exchange rate so reasonably satisfied.

By the way, not to derail the thread or your suggestions but I would suggest to you & @AudioManNewb (it fits in his budget) to try the Loxjie P20 tube amp.
It is very good for the $ 99 USD amp category & performs quite high above its pricepoint.

I be curious to know what you think @Dobrescu George.

Keep up the good work !

Thank you that would work perfectly has great reviews zeos likes it and its the right price. With the 422h is there any reason to go balanced my DAC is the OL DAC.

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #93 of 117
Jan 15, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #94 of 117
I’d be wary of that Loxjie, there are known better options, options actually measured by third party

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...nts-of-loxjie-d20-dac-and-headphone-amp.6011/
That is for there DAC not the amp the P20. Also I don't care for tests at all considering they have done so many studies of A/B between this and that and literally everyone fails everytime. Your ears and what you like the sound to be are what matters in the end.

It is so funny the audio world is no different than the cork sniffing gear head musician world. They think better compontents and better measurements mean something when in reality some of the best recordings are made with some of the cheapest equipment. And some of the most cherished amps are made with some of the cheapest chinese compontents.

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #95 of 117
That is for there DAC not the amp the P20.

I'm aware of that.. just showing their engineering prowess might not be all that....

Also I don't care for tests at all considering they have done so many studies of A/B between this and that and literally everyone fails everytime. Your ears and what you like the sound to be are what matters in the end.

It is so funny the audio world is no different than the cork sniffing gear head musician world. They think better compontents and better measurements mean something when in reality some of the best recordings are made with some of the cheapest equipment. And some of the most cherished amps are made with some of the cheapest chinese compontents.

Each to his own, as an engineer, I like to start with components that measure well where possible and then let my ears decide. I don't care if it's cheap Chinese or whatever. Love my cheap Chinese Topping DX7s just the same as my less cheap British & German components.. but they all measure exemplary. Listening skills can be evolved, if you have a benchmark of objective measurements, your equipment can grow with your evolution..[/QUOTE]

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #96 of 117
I'm aware of that.. just showing their engineering prowess might not be all that....

Each to his own, as an engineer, I like to start with components that measure well where possible and then let my ears decide. I don't care if it's cheap Chinese or whatever. Love my cheap Chinese Topping DX7s just the same as my less cheap British & German components.. but they all measure exemplary. Listening skills can be evolved, if you have a benchmark of objective measurements, your equipment can grow with your evolution..
[/QUOTE]

"Engineering prowess" Even top brands have problems when they first came out with time everyone hones there skills and there production process. $89.99 with the 10% off is not really that much of a loss now if they were asking more maybe that would be a problem. Also as for the DAC did you test it yourself with your own ears? Or did you listen to what someone else has said everyone is BIAS to some extent.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #97 of 117
Thank you that would work perfectly has great reviews zeos likes it and its the right price. With the 422h is there any reason to go balanced my DAC is the OL DAC.

Hi @AudioManNewb,

Not to derail the thread but I will briefly go in a tangent before I answer your question.

While I find Zeos interesting, like you stated in later posts, I don't go just by his word, ears or anyone else's for that matter.
Though I will say, over the years, he has pointed out various interesting gear which is definitely worth a look, whether it suits the individual is a different matter...
Personally & subjectively, my usual modus operandi is to demo as much as possible but given there is a fair few gear nowadays which aren't easily available for demo, it does take an informed decision & experience to make a judgement call.
Been more right times than 'wrong', though the 'wrong' is usually is as expected with no expectations or bias whatsoever.

Regarding balanced connections, headphones/IEMs &/or source, I have said this many times in other threads but don't mind saying it again, it all depends on you & what you want to achieve.
At the most basic level, all a balanced connection does is make the audio signal stronger, whether this is a 'better' for YOU is all highly subjective & personal.
I have used & own amps which only have single ended & in terms of sound quality, at least personally & subjectively, they sound great if not better than balanced.

So all depends on you.
The important thing is you are happy.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #98 of 117
I’d be wary of that Loxjie, there are known better options, options actually measured by third party

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...nts-of-loxjie-d20-dac-and-headphone-amp.6011/

Hi @nefilim,

This reply is also related to your posts after this one as well which none are a dig by the way, just an observation.

Personally & subjectively, regardless of components, build, sound quality, etc, it all depends on both the manufacturer & most importantly the end user. There are certainly great products on any & every level though how well they suit the individual is a highly, hotly debated topic by many & all here, especially the audio idiots but I digress...

As Jude himself pointed out & in my long enjoyment of this past time I take semi seriously on a pro audio level, (sound monitoring is my area here), there are some good to exceptional gear out there which doesn't measure all that well but sound fantastic.
Granted, everyone one is different but some gear does sound great when used in the real world.
Gear Synergy is this case is ridiculously important.
Another thing I often find laughable is Sound Tuning in any gear matters more than the official specs which I find always serve as a guidelines over the gear's real capabilities.

In closing, it is great to see there are many inexpensive products, I hesitate to say cheap & most think negative conatations when this particular words is used, which are really very good but unless one tries them, no one knows.

On a side note, @AudioManNewb,

I am an amp guy through & through, be it tube or solid, as long as it sounds good, I am in, feel free to see my profile's amp inventory on what I have so far if you need more inspiration.

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #99 of 117
Yea trust me I don't take zeos word for gospel he is very entertaining to watch tho. He didn't care for Beyerdynamic DT770's I loved those they are what got me into the whole audiophile world unless you consider my foray into musician tube amps audiophile technically it is. Yea sound tuning I agree makes more difference the Master & Dynamic MH40 sound really good if you actually listen and don't analyze it to death and take measurements and tests as gospel. You really are doing yourself a disservice if you only ever go by tests and measurements.

Mar 1, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #100 of 117
I posted my review on ESS 422H today :)

Pretty lovely, pretty dynamic, pretty well built. Very heavy though :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/03/dazzling-scenery-ess-422h-headphones.html

ESS-422H-Headphones-Over-The-Ear-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Photo-24.jpg

ESS-422H-Headphones-Over-The-Ear-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Photo-21.jpg

ESS-422H-Headphones-Over-The-Ear-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Photo-38.jpg

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #101 of 117
Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #104 of 117
Aug 4, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #105 of 117

Hi, I read your review -- seemed like it was headed for a resounding 'Meh' :)

But then I get to the end and your conclusion was...

Conclusion: The 422H are an interesting headphone, in their stock form they are dark, bassy and a little too full sounding for their own good. Add a little EQ here and there and you get a nice clean, and fairly open sounding headphone. The clamping force is a little strong, but this can likely be fixed. I will mention that if you add some Dekoni Elite Velour Sony 7506 size earpads these open up a lot and no longer require EQ for my tastes.
The 422h are a well crafted, and great looking pair of headphones and, if you are happy to tweak them a little, are good for the price. Stock however I will say there are better headphones for the price.

I guess my question would be how do they compare to the 'better' headphones once you've properly EQ'd them or purchased/installed the Dekoni Elite Velour Sony 7506 size earpads?

BTW...which headphones would you be comparing them to (especially closed) as I'm looking for a solid set of closed cans that I can leave at work without stressing (lower $$, durable, etc.) over them...thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back