Espresso-Fi
Jan 9, 2010 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

McPanse

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone have a consumer-grade burr grinder they'd recommend for grinding coffee for espresso and cone filter drip?

I have a Capresso espresso machine that does a pretty decent job with Illy espresso-ground coffee but not so great with what I get from the supermarket grinder.

With Illy running $20+ a pound pre-ground, I'm thinking it's time for a decent burr grinder. As an added bonus, I'll have fresher drip coffee as well.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 16
Jan 9, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 16
Yeah, I am looking for a grinder as well. A decent quality one which does not cost a fortune.
Going beens for my Espresso instead of grinded from the store.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 16
The knock against sub-$300 machines tends to be they don't do a very good job producing a fine espresso grind.

Weighing cost/benefits of grinding my own versus paying $12 for 8 oz. of Illy.

No doubt grinding my own is more economical in the not-so-long-run, but I don't want to pay $300 for a grinder only to find it doesn't do that good of a job.

The other option is to hunt down a coffee purveyor with good equipment and buy from there. But you lose the just-ground freshness.

This being head-fi, whatever grinder I end up with, I won't be satisfied until I upgrade it with a silver power cord and a boutique transformer.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 16
I guess nothing in those links i provided would suffice?
For a cheap price, i think maybe manual is the way to go.
If you pay alot of money, then you can go automatic.
I got an inexpensive Cuisinart for Christmas, and its pretty and grinds fairly evenly, but it downt really go course enough for french press, nor fine enough for turkish or expresso, but the medium grinds it does well.

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 16
Illy? My friend, the wonders that you have awaiting you when you branch out. So you want a grinder that can easily switch between coarse and espresso? Whats the ratio that you drink usually? Out of curiosity, what machine do you use? I ask, simply because you should be spending as much (or a bunch more) on your grinder than your machine. I use a modded older Gaggia Baby, which is a decent basic machine, but I run a Faema A6, a commercial grinder that costs roughly 3x as much. Of course my grinder is likely a tad overkill, but I know that it can handle whatever I throw at it, and that my grandkids will be able to use it.

You've got a few options, if you don't mind going used you can generally find commercial grinders that need a bit of TLC for fairly cheap on kijiji/craigslist (what I did, as I don't have $1500 for a grinder). If you're set on new, I would likely recommend the Le'Lit PL53. If I had to buy new under $300, I would run, not walk, to purchase one. However, it is stepless. This is a wonderful feature if you like really fine control, especially if you're a home roaster like me who adjusts grind to bean age. However, if you want to go grind some press-pot, it'll take 80 turns to get to that level, and there's no way to mark exactly where you were for espresso.
Now if you want to switch a lot, I would recommend the Baratza Vario. It's a compact little machine, and quite versatile, but it will run you 50% more than your budget. Worth it, but not if you're grinding Illy.
To be honest, the only grinder under around $400 that I would recommend you buy is the Le'Lit. But hey, if you're not a total nutjob you could probably buy a $200 Baratza Virtuoso and be quite happy with the results.

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 16
I personally dont have a conical burr grinder, but i got a crapper disc black and decker, sprays grinds everywhere. Though I have heard a modified Starbucks conical burr does the job right for about 160 CAD.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally dont have a conical burr grinder, but i got a crapper disc black and decker, sprays grinds everywhere. Though I have heard a modified Starbucks conical burr does the job right for about 160 CAD.

The Starbucks Barista? It's essentially a rebranded Solis Maestro 166, you can see the mods HERE. Personally I'd buy a machine that'll work out of the box, as I don't really trust the 2-point mounting system on that grinder. But hey, I've heard you can get decent shots out of it, and it'll produce a better grind than anything I've seen from Cuisinart.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 16
alright redleader, we live close by, let's have a coffee grinder/headphone polooza! mostly because I love coffee and headphones and you seem to very well versed in coffee!

off to read your webcomic now, after a quick espresso!

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 16
We've had success with a Breville grinder. Despite what some reviewers say, we get great espresso grind. With all burr grinders the key is keeping those grinders clean.

coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/brevilleikongrinder

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon.com: Cuisinart CBM-18 Programmable Conical Burr Mill: Home & Garden

it's on sale, it's great, free shipping
'nuff said

Not 'nuff said.
Thats almost the same model i have now.
It grinds evenly, its pretty.....but it only does the medium grinds.
It doesnt go super fine for expresso/turkish or really course for press pot.
It just about makes it to perculator.

It works well for me so far, but im a bit scared because enough people in the online customer reviews has theirs blow out in a year or so.
Lucky theres an 18 month warranty on it.

Its great for drip coffee drinkers. They dont need better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back