ESound E5 - before I pull the trigger
Aug 1, 2006 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Mr.Shadow

500+ Head-Fier
I am just about to pull the trigger on the Esound E5 (European 220v Version)
I heard it when I visited sacd_lover, but it wasn't the exact conifguration as mine (MPX3 SLAM SE->HD595).
I liked it, because I also heared it on his speaker rig, so I was more confident about the source, but still not 100% sure.
All in all I think it is a safe bet, but I want to make sure I am not missing anything better, because my budget can go a bit more than the price I got on it , which is 898$ shipped (to Israel, 220v).
Something twords the 1500$ mark + -

If you have anything good to say about the E5 (look at my sig for my rig info) I will be happy to hear it, same goes for negative opinions.
If you have any better CDP to suggest, I am more than open to hear it.

Thanks !

Aug 1, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 41
Yes... I think a lot of us would like to know, if the E5 is still "king," or whether the Rega Apollo, or Eastern Electric Minimax, or one of the Cayin players, or some other Chinese player now eclipses the E5.

With all of the praise the Apollo and others have received... I guess it's possible.

Aug 2, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 41
Get my modded E5 which easily beats the Apollo (see sig block)

Pete
cool.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 41
Has anyone (in the U.S.) here at Head-Fi ever considered a group buy on the E5? I did a Google and apparently it is quite possible (and I'd be interested in a Signature, I think, based upon talk around here)

With all respect Pete (yours does look nice
smily_headphones1.gif
), but the Sig, besides being a seemingly nice item, is also in black...
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete
Get my modded E5 which easily beats the Apollo (see sig block)

Pete
cool.gif

Too bad I wanna Use 220v unit and not 110v
mad.gif

Otherwise I would have snap it away in no time, pete. cuse it seems lethal.
how big was the difference ?
It seems most of the upgrades are only good for the Balanced output, I only use Single Ended so it wouldn't do any good for me I guess.

P.S. it seems like the Zapfilter PSU gets 230v (from looking at the picture at his website), did you get a 110v version of that PSU or you are using a transformer ?

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 41
A qualifier in that I listen to speakers not headphones. I think alot of the posts on here are in left field looking at right field. I tried out the E5 based on the hype on this forum, paying the would be seller, $100 for the privilege & I thought it was awful with a capital A. I personally think you're better off using reviews on some well known boards, I'm not listing them because I don't think that's Kosher to do here, on American & Some Well known European products, to base a decision on. But do what's best for you. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 41
Can you say what didn't you like about the E5 ?
I allready heared it so I know how it sound in case you didn't know.
What did you compared it to ?
I'm sorry, but just poping up and saying you think it's awful withought giving any detail and/or explantion is just not enought and it's not professional thing.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hershon2000
A qualifier in that I listen to speakers not headphones. I think alot of the posts on here are in left field looking at right field. I tried out the E5 based on the hype on this forum, paying the would be seller, $100 for the privilege

I am sorry friend but I really don't think your E5 is built by Eastsound. I have never seen an E5 sold for less than $500. So if you only paid $100 I have no idea what you have
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
I am sorry friend but I really don't think your E5 is built by Eastsound. I have never seen an E5 sold for less than $500. So if you only paid $100 I have no idea what you have
wink.gif

I think he is saying he paid $100 to be able to audtion the player before purchase... but he never purchased.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #10 of 41
I like the Meridian sound and I think there is a G07 for sale now with the right voltage for you in the source for sale forum.

When you go to a Meet the top head phone Manufactures use the Meridians as a source for there products Mikhail (Singlepower)/Headroom/Ray Samuals/Justin Headamp (is that right Head something I am getting old) All have Meridians 508/588/GO8.

There are lots of reviews on AudioGon. Just a thought. They sound great with speakers too.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #11 of 41
I have heard too many repair issues with the East Sound. Plus I also heard that the sound is some what compressed. In lieu of all that, I have my sites set on a MHZS CD 66 that I found on Audiogon.

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx
I like the Meridian sound and I think there is a G07 for sale now with the right voltage for you in the source for sale forum.

When you go to a Meet the top head phone Manufactures use the Meridians as a source for there products Mikhail (Singlepower)/Headroom/Ray Samuals/Justin Headamp (is that right Head something I am getting old) All have Meridians 508/588/GO8.

There are lots of reviews on AudioGon. Just a thought. They sound great with speakers too.

well..you really can't go wrong with Meridian G series

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #14 of 41
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx

hamm, Meridian are respectable, how big is the performance betweeen the G07 and the G08 ?
the G08 is obviously too expensive for me even at second hand price.
I will keep my eye on it, spanx
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Has anyone (in the U.S.) here at Head-Fi ever considered a group buy on the E5?

I think you might want to do some research here at Head-Fi before you post a question in the open forums concerning group buys. Just some friendly advice before the thread gets locked/deleted.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back