Esoteric P-03/D-03. Pictures and report.
Aug 4, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #16 of 36
Sleestack,

I guess your not the type for "If it sounds good, that's all that matters".

That is some MORE major eye candy. May I take a listen
very_evil_smiley.gif
??

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
Sleestack,

I guess your not the type for "If it sounds good, that's all that matters".

That is some MORE major eye candy. May I take a listen
very_evil_smiley.gif
??

Well I also like my woman smart AND beautiful. Come by anytime. I owe you a round at the CC anyway.

Aug 7, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #19 of 36
Earth to Sleestack.....STEP AWAY FROM THE ESOTERIC!! and tell us how happy its making you with its beautiful music.
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #20 of 36
Sleestack now I know why you made such a fuss about the TaCT room correction. You have too much money
cool.gif
. That is a nice system.

You have the best of all worlds there. It looks as good as it sounds I bet. I am from the if it looks ugly I do not care how it sounds camp.
580smile.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #21 of 36
OMG, so you use the P-03/D-03 exclusively with your SDS-XLR and HD650
blink.gif
!?

Congrats! I hope you enjoy. My dad just bought the X-03SE (along with speakers, amps, etc...). I heard the P-01/dual D-01 at the shop and I'm still recovering from the after-effects!

EDIT: Oh one minor observation - shouldn't you put your CDP and DAC on a more solid platform and not your (thin) glass desk? Am I mad?

Aug 9, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #22 of 36
I only have the P-03/D-03 in the headphone setup for the moment. I wanted to be able to put the various conversion/clock modes under the microscope. It will eventually go back in my 2.2. channel, as I rarely use the headphone setup. In fact, I plan on just using a modified Transporter for my source in my headphone rig. The glass table is actually a Billy Bag's table and not prone to vibration, especially in a heaphone setup.

The P-03/D-03 combination serves as a stunning reference piece for any audiophile system. Each piece comes packed in 4 layers of custom designed cardboard, with the last being a gurney with handles to allow for easy removal of each 50+ lb piece. Build quality is impeccable (as one would expect), with design that is museum worthy. The feet alone are worthy of a study in mechanical engineering. The tray mechnism on the P-03 is the finest I have seen. It seems to be made out of the same metal used for the casing and has a useful thumb cutout. It is protected by a retracting door and works in complete silence from opening to closing and while spinning.

The versatitlity of the combination truly makes the P-03/D-03 an audiophile's best friend. SPDIF, AES, iLink and word synch imput are available on the transport, while in addition, the DAC offers optical inputs and word synch input/output. Multichannel can be transmitted via iLink. The D-03 has single ended and balanced analog outputs. When using the 2 components together, you can either use iLink or Dual XLRs and the word synch connections to slave the P-03 to the clock in the D-03 or an external clock.

The P-03 allows you to convert the signal prior to sending it to the D-03. You can convert to your standard multiples of 44.1 and 48 or to DSD. You can also convert DSD to PCM. DSD can be transmitted digitally to the D-03 either via iLink or Dual AES. The D-03 allows you to apply oversampling and control the clock signal.

All of the various setup options can be controlled through the remote or by using the silver buttons on the front panels of the D-03/P-03. this allows you to instantly compare the different connection options (e.g. AES v. dual AES, clock v. no clock, etc.) and conversions. There is a noticeble difference in resolution when using the word synch, however the biggest difference in sound is between PCM and DSD. The conversion of PCM to DSD creates a noticeble smoothness to the sound, without any sacrifice in clarity or impact. Thus far DSD is my favorite setting, as it really seems to improve the sound of CDs. That being said, the combo sounds remarkable at any setting, and seems to be able to extract detail in a way that my other sources can't. When listening to Jeff Buckley's original release of Grace, certain resonances of the various recording studios he used came across more clearly. As with any great source, I never feel the Esoteric is coloring the music in any way. It just does an exceptional job of revealing what is there.

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
What is the firewire (iLink 1394) for?

You can send multichannel via the Denon iLink.

Aug 12, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #27 of 36
Where they really belong:

DSC00961.jpg

Aug 12, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #28 of 36
If they sound half as good as they look they must be Killer.
By the way what are the aberdeen mods to the Tact gear.

Aug 12, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
If they sound half as good as they look they must be Killer.
By the way what are the aberdeen mods to the Tact gear.

He changed out about 80% of the parts on the power supply, the ADC and each of the 2 DACs. He upgraded all internal wiring and added vibration dampening and other shielding material throughout the chassis. I have his power supplies in all of my TACT gear, but did the full upgrade on my RCS2.2XP and my ADC6. He also built the linear power supply for my SB3 and will be taking apart one of my Transporters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back