Escaped from Chicago
Jan 6, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #16 of 25
I love how Chicago’s Lake Michigan can get frozen or almost frozen in the winter. I’m a huge fan of ice chunks in water ways. You see that in Alaska too but it’s easier to travel to Chicago and witness it.

4B4CB50F-FEFE-4716-B69B-A26073A9CC04.jpeg

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #17 of 25
A stupid mistake that kind of makes me laugh is when people from warm climates visit Chicago in the winter and not understand what cold weather climates are like so they decide not bring winter clothes. It can be a shocking revelation

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #18 of 25
A stupid mistake that kind of makes me laugh is when people from warm climates visit Chicago in the winter and not understand what cold weather climates are like so they decide not bring winter clothes. It can be a shocking revelation
Several times people from Cali told me they were shocked coming out of the airport wearing a tanktop at a place that has cold winters. Lol

It's like they have no idea places get cold in the winter.

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #19 of 25
The flip side is that when I go somewhere warm (from Chicago), I always feel dumb arriving in Texas or SoCal with a winter coat on.

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #20 of 25
^ Hmm.....I remember a few winters ago, I flew from Philadelphia to Rio de Janeiro Brazil. It was a really harsh winter in Philly but in Brazil it was 97 degrees Fahrenheit. Guys in Brazil were wearing speedos on the beach while way up north, it was snow and ice everywhere.

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #21 of 25
Another impressive thing about Chicago is that they have really good indoor heating systems.

It can get super cold outside but you could be inside a building or restaurant and it feels very nice and warm. Sometimes too warm.

My feeling is that buildings have better insulation compared to other cities.

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #22 of 25
It’s been damn cold here the last few days and snowing for the last 2 weeks. The walls are all insulated in a fairly typical way but special attention is placed around doors and Windows to prevent air leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back