Escaped from Chicago
Jul 18, 2004 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Norbert

500+ Head-Fier
Well I'm back in Albuquerque, New Mexico! I was in Chicago and had the pleasure of attending a meet with tuberoller and others this past spring. I enjoyed finishing grad school in chicago and now I am back reunited with my w1000's and my Corda HA-1. The weather is hot and dry every day, I love it! I never have to watch or read a weather report. Any head-fier's in Alb. or Sante Fe? I guess not.

Jul 18, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 25
Did I meet you at the spring meet on Western Ave? Are you in the picture we took? Anyway, I liked Chicago, but could not stand the weather. I can't handle the winters in chicago, but yes, I am back at head-fi after a two month sabbatical, and I am ready to comment now that I have my "home" rig plugged into my head.

Jul 18, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 25
Norbert,

I'm pretty sure we met. I was at that spring meet. To tell you the truth I think Chicago weather is pretty crummy too. I hope you have a good time in Albuquerque. Come back to Chicago some time in late spring so you miss the worst of the weather.

Jul 18, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 25
I love Chicago weather, we have FOUR seasons. We get nice warm summers and a decent snowfall in the winter. I'm glad you made it out of Chicago just fine. Lord knows it took me forever to get out of Chicago at the Spring meet. Oh sure I had an easy time getting in but that's what they want you to think.

Aug 22, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 25
In my opinion the great thing about Chicago is visiting in January and seeing Lake Michigan frozen or partially frozen.

Yes, it gets insanely cold but I love how there is so much ice and the areas are empty. It can get very peaceful quiet. And there can be some magical moments.

It’s a unique kind of beauty that you can’t capture in warmer climate cities

Aug 22, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 25
In my opinion the great thing about Chicago is visiting in January and seeing Lake Michigan frozen or partially frozen.

Yes, it gets insanely cold but I love how there is so much ice and the areas are empty. It can get very peaceful quiet. And there can be some magical moments.

It’s a unique kind of beauty that you can’t capture in warmer climate cities
Not a fan of Chicago winter either, but places that has climates like Chicago usually have great spring/fall weather. Just the right amount of humidity and temperature. Summer get's a bit humid as well, and dry heat doesn't weigh you down like humid heat. But, I believe places that has dry heat are usually have long hot summers, so there are trade-offs.

And also, places like Chicago have plenty of greens vegetation around compared to dry climates where there's patches of plant species that can survive in those environments. This effects how we feel about the environment around us.

Now, my question would be which area in the USA has the right amount of humidity and temperature and does not have winters? lol

The humidity level being dry isn't good for us. It's best at some moderate level of humity.

I believe there is a general ideal place for humans, but of course we all have our own preferences, and there's probably the most ideal environment for all us out there.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #8 of 25
Well I am a huge winter lover but if you dislike winter, I would say San Diego is a popular city for nice weather. I was also there during a January month a few years ago. Very mild.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 25
Another thing is that it’s not just Chicago but many people who dislike winter from the cold regions of the Mid West move to Arizona I notice. Arizona seems like a popular choice for migration. Like in the Phoenix area.

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #11 of 25
Another thing is that it’s not just Chicago but many people who dislike winter from the cold regions of the Mid West move to Arizona I notice. Arizona seems like a popular choice for migration. Like in the Phoenix area.
Phoenix is not for everybody. It gets extremely hot 4 months out of the year, up to 110 degree on the avg. You cannot step foot outside in the heat. If you leave your vehicle out in the sun, and you need to get in, the surface of the seat will seem almost like a frying pan to the touch.

Solution? Air-Conditioning! But, it does take time to cool down.

Other than that, no winter. Strikingly beautiful nature in the places outside the valley of Phoenix. The sunsets are really colorful and picturesque, and that's not something I've seen anywhere else. It's a dry area so you won't get much green scenery, but cactus and green patches of plants that can survive the environment. There are man planted trees and shrubs all around the valley, and they water them under the ground to keep them alive in such extreme heat conditions.

For those on the East coast or Midwest, definately visit the SouthWest if interested in breathtaking scenery. I think the SouthWest is where they get all the cool picture and scenery for films. I think it's for those MidWestern nature people.

Personally, I think people that come from foreign countries should visit this area. This is not something they will see in their countries. It's probably a great place to take up photography!

Sunsets actually does look like this
2Y7A2817.jpg

You won't see stuff like this anywhere else.

20171106-xn1J8l3XjavDd0dzHHnm.jpg
5c4797953e8c7.image.jpg
\ssdd.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #13 of 25
Nice pics. Yeah I love Arizona. It might be favorite state in the category of nature.
Colorado is pretty nice looking as well, and Yellowstone is in Wyoming. The real picturesque nature areas are in that ball park of the US. I understand why there are so many campers in this region. Lots of Arizona looks like a national park with huge trees!

5ec5bb6ce1fa3.image.jpg

When I was in Europe, the best areas seems to be the Alps. Autria, Switzerland, etc.. As far as I see it, mountains are a requirement for a good scene.
FotoJetwkehgd93475.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #14 of 25
Yeah Colorado is gorgeous too. The outdoor Red Rocks amphitheater is the most beautiful outdoor place to see a concert in the USA. Wyoming is interesting too since it’s so desolate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back