ES7... get them, or something else?
Jun 11, 2008 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

limathy

100+ Head-Fier
i've been tempted to buy a pair of ES7's
most of the time my portable listening is pk1's with a XXS (headsix equivalent)
just sometimes durring long study sessions my ears get sore from earbuds.
so i'm looking for something fairly comfortable thats not overly heavy and wont distract me when i'm studying.

can anyone comment on the SQ of the Es7 compared to ksc75's and pk1.
I hear the Es7's are coloured in a pleasing way, and i'm wondering if it will have the same punchy sound that i love about the pk1. and how do they stack up with the ms1's which cost the same, but are open and not really so usable for studying in a library.

any other alternatives for something comfortable that sounds decent that is reasonably portable?

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 18
ES7 -very enjoyable, 'punchy' sound, a really fun can to listen to. Compared to KSC75 - clearer top, better bass impact & definition, much better isolation & little leakage. Haven't heard PK1, but ES7 is worthwhile
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 18
I had my buddie's ES7 borrowed for a week so I think I can give some input.

Allover good fons which provide lots of fun. Much better than KSC75, competes easely with the Senn HD25, but gets beaten by the MS1.

Downsides: It's all very upfront, energetic and with AT typical coloured mids, that can lead to fatigue issues and disturbes while doing something else. IMO, studying and listening to music propably doesn't work with the ES7.

You should hesitate about the MS1. If you turn them up so loud that others complain, you are in hearing damaging "big balls" regions anyway. Should you insist on a closed fon, HD25 or K518 are to be considered. The Senn is heavily overpriced but better suited for casual listening (and the redneck boom boom K518 as well).

Jun 11, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 18
so would ms1's be a better buy overall? what about the comfort, i hear they aren't the most comfortable things.

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 18
Probably in the minority here but to my ears the senn Hd202 is extremely close in sq to the Es7
However one costs £100 and the other costs £20
To be honest i really dont think the Es7 is worth the extra at all
There isn't that much of a difference at all.
Ive had a pair of the Es7 which i thought were incredibly uncomfortable to a point where they hurt,and even after headband mods they were still the same,and they got trashed and were thrown away thankfully.
Although they sounded good i am so much happier with my 202's,so much so i bought another pair.
Surprising sound for relatively little money.

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by limathy
so would ms1's be a better buy overall? what about the comfort, i hear they aren't the most comfortable things.

No, they aren't (especially with bowl pads). But the ES7 is similar or even worse. If you equip the MS1 with the cheap reversed HD414 pads, you can at least wear them for 2h nonstop. You need them anyway, as the comfies they are shipped with don't sound too well.

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 18
I like the ES7 waaaaaaaay more than the MS1. When I tried th MS1 (on several different occasions) it sounded like the artist was 1 inch away from my ear and everything sounded so closed in/near me.
The ES7 on the other hand is not like that, it sounds spacious in comparison and the focus is on the mids; it has a nice punchy bottom end with sparkly highs.

So, to conclude, there is no clear better/winner when choosing MS1 or ES7. It just down to personal preference.

FWIW, i think the MS1 is better for rock, ES7 is better for chill out and jazz. Choose your poison.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 18
cheers that helps plenty, i was just worried that the ms1 would be miles ahead of the es7 for the money.
i think i'll be going Es7
biggrin.gif
thanks guys.
will update once i get them this weekend

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 18
They require about 200 hours of burn in, so don't judge them immediately. They will sound rather muddy at first. Give them about 4 days of pink noise and you will be amazed by the difference.

They're a hate it or love it kinda headphone though, just like Grado/Alessandros are, so beware... I guess you wont know until you try it out.
tongue.gif

Check this out: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off...thread-285697/

Give them plenty of burn in, beware of fakes, and do the headband mod.

Cheers and best of luck!

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 18
I have had both ES7's and MS1's at the same time (ES7's 1 year, MS1's 3 months). Have used both at work and was able to wear either one all day without discomfort. Would have give the comfort prize to MS1's by a slight edge (this is worth bowls). When it comes to sound, I got rid of the ES7's because after getting MS1's the ES7's just did not get that much playtime. IMHO they are that much better in sound quality. The problem with sound quality is that everybody has a different opinion. I recently aquired a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780's in trade for a pair of Sennheiser HD-580's. Could never appreciate the 580's but am starting to really like the 780's. That would place me in the minority on this forum, but that is what my taste is. IMHO the MS1's outshine the ES7's.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with sound quality is that everybody has a different opinion.

x2

Yup, that's the big problem. Best thing to do is probably find out what kinda music is being played with what type of headphone.
wink.gif

@ronnielee54, just out of curiosity and also to help the OP decide, what kinda music do normally you listen to through these headphones?
Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and OP, I normally use my iM716 for trance and classical music, if that helps any.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #14 of 18
Mostly blues and older rock (not Elvis old). Run them through a Headamp AE2. I like guitars and the MS1's just seemed to me to better at them. Don't get me wrong, I raelly loved my ES7's but could not see letting them just lay there. Traded them for some HD595's for light night movie watching.

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #15 of 18
Not just the old stinky oh yeah oh babe socks. I prefered the MS1 over the ES7 with Drum & Bass, Trance, Jazz Fusion, Downbeat, ...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back