ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Mar 23, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #136 of 1,571
@Ciggavelli because you have listened to some rock and metal with them. Do you find them unforgiving with bad material (I'm talking about bad recording/mastering albums in studio, not about the quality of the archives, all my music are in FLAC).

Your comments about comfort (your ears got hot), that screw at the conector and the headband material are the ones I valorate more :relaxed: Do you find them suitable for extended listening sessions or have to take a break because your ears are getting hot?

Thanks and I'm glad all of you are enjoying them :L3000:

Mar 23, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #137 of 1,571
@Ciggavelli because you have listened to some rock and metal with them. Do you find them unforgiving with bad material (I'm talking about bad recording/mastering albums in studio, not about the quality of the archives, all my music are in FLAC).

Your comments about comfort (your ears got hot), that screw at the conector and the headband material are the ones I valorate more :relaxed: Do you find them suitable for extended listening sessions or have to take a break because your ears are getting hot?

Thanks and I'm glad all of you are enjoying them :L3000:
I just put on some purposefully poorly recorded black metal (early Darkthrone and an album by a former member of Mayhem). It sounds good to me. I'm not really put off by poorly recorded albums though. I listened to the new Lucifer album, which some people complain about the poorly recorded vocals, and it was no problem....it sounded right to me.

I actually listened to the ES R10 for a couple of hours straight today. It did not get that warm, but I did take them off occasionally to get some water or use the restroom. I wouldn't say it is an issue if you're just sitting there and not rocking out.

I also put on the new Gunna, and the sub-bass isn't bad. I can clearly hear the bass notes (it's a bass heavy album). It's not TC by any means, but when I compared it to my HD800s, I can hear the different bass notes better on the ES R10, and the quantity is about the same. The ES R10s handle the bass better. It's just clearer, and a little larger. But, I'd say it's at HD800s levels for bass quantity

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #138 of 1,571
I just put on some purposefully poorly recorded black metal (early Darkthrone and an album by a former member of Mayhem). It sounds good to me. I'm not really put off by poorly recorded albums though. I listened to the new Lucifer album, which some people complain about the poorly recorded vocals, and it was no problem....it sounded right to me.

I actually listened to the ES R10 for a couple of hours straight today. It did not get that warm, but I did take them off occasionally to get some water or use the restroom. I wouldn't say it is an issue if you're just sitting there and not rocking out.

I also put on the new Gunna, and the sub-bass isn't bad. I can clearly hear the bass notes (it's a bass heavy album). It's not TC by any means, but when I compared it to my HD800s, I can hear the different bass notes better on the ES R10, and the quantity is about the same. The ES R10s handle the bass better. It's just clearer, and a little larger. But, I'd say it's at HD800s levels for bass quantity
Thank you very much, I appreciate a lot your reply. I can only enjoy something like "The sins of the beloved" (one of my preferred gothic metal bands) with my 1990 Pros, and they are semi-open and if I rise the volume I can disturb my family while sleeping. Although I enjoy a lot the bass definition and impact with the Denon 9200s and "Epica" or "After Forever", I can't stand female vocals -with those specific bands- with them.

I hope these headphones will be still available in a month or two to try them...

Mar 23, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #139 of 1,571
Like, I randomly put this on cuz it has like a 95 on metacritic:

lLuRik0.png

The bass sounds good. It's not the quantity that is good, it is the quality. You can clearly hear the bass notes. There's little to no smearing.

I threw on the SR1a convolution filter for bass, which ups the bass a bit. I really like the bass quality. There's actual subbass, unlike the SR1as. Bass has a good bounce to it

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #140 of 1,571
I dunno if this is on Qobuz or Tidal, but if it is, try it out. You can clearly hear how large the soundstage is and the depth. It's pretty amazing actually. The ES R10 performs very well

DhOvxMT.png

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #141 of 1,571
I did a bass test. The ES R10es go down as low as 25hz to my ear, which is great. You really start to hear them at 30-35hz

Use the bass test here (it's on tidal)

HOPedzK.png

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #142 of 1,571
I dunno if this is on Qobuz or Tidal, but if it is, try it out. You can clearly hear how large the soundstage is and the depth. It's pretty amazing actually. The ES R10 performs very well

DhOvxMT.png
An album by David Chesky? I'm not surprised your amazed by this album. Stuff by Chesky records are used as reference material by many audio reviewers, I remember this name mentioned many times by Steve Guttenberg. I should look this one up :wink:

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #143 of 1,571
An album by David Chesky? I'm not surprised your amazed by this album. Stuff by Chesky records are used as reference material by many audio reviewers, I remember this name mentioned many times by Steve Guttenberg. I should look this one up :wink:
It's in 192/24 too :astonished:

I don't remember when or where I got this album :upside_down:

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #144 of 1,571
A Q010-MDR1 would also be an interesting headphone to make a replica of. However, shouldn't there be some kind of universal solution to the Qualias fit? I believe people had mentioned different headbands and pads for customers with different head sizes. Wasn't it made to order?
Yes, there should be a universal fit.

The Qualia had small, medium and large size. And all could of been bought separately from Sony at the time of production. They were not made for order. But... after about 100 or so sale of the headphone there was a period where Sony was making them for order.

There was many issues with the Qualia because of the fit.

1. Fit and comfort.
2. Treble issues.
3. Unnatural and sterlie sound.

The Qualia was the original HD800. Sennheiser literally pulled a hifiman stunt on Sony. Damn you Sennheiser 😜

But if you get the Qualia right. It has some of the best vocals, soundstage and detail retrieval.

Mar 24, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #145 of 1,571
I have gone back and forth comparing the TC and R10 listening to the same songs multiple times.
As a point of reference, the TC is IMHO the best headphone in the world, and I have heard and owned and sold many of the TOTL cans.
IMHO- the R10 is within very very close striking distance to the TC on most technicalities. So close, that it does not really matter.

Two obvious differences in a general sense:
1. Bass is more in quantity on the TC, but the R10 is plenty sufficient- even for rock and roll.
2. Soundstage on TC is noticeably wider but R10 soundstage is perhaps deeper- and has that magical 3-D effect.

Both are clean, non-veiled, fast, ultra transparent. TC has the edge in these areas, but R10 is not far behind. Tonality, euphonics, musicality- I would give a slight edge to the R10; but not as much as I would have thought.

In terms of enjoyment- which is really the bottom line- the R10 IMHO provides me (in my first two days) close to EQUAL enjoyment to the TC, a feat which no other headphone at any price,- and I have tried many, has accomplished. And all of this- with the miracle that the R10 is both CLOSED and also using dynamic drivers.

As of today, if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to sell one of them- I would sell the R10. However, only a gun to the head could make me do it. It is that close.

I look forward to seeing how I feel about this comparison on 30 days- as it will be a much more accurate barometer.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #146 of 1,571
Like, I randomly put this on cuz it has like a 95 on metacritic:

lLuRik0.png

The bass sounds good. It's not the quantity that is good, it is the quality. You can clearly hear the bass notes. There's little to no smearing.

I threw on the SR1a convolution filter for bass, which ups the bass a bit. I really like the bass quality. There's actual subbass, unlike the SR1as. Bass has a good bounce to it
Rosalía is actually an amazing artist. I prefer her old tunes, but even the new, more commercial stuff is interesting. You should give her Los Ángeles album a listen :wink:

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #147 of 1,571
Hello i have another question since i couldnot find the answer yet or do i miss it, how's earpads change mechanism on this (its glued like audeze as example or used ring attached like some fostex th series), can i see the driver cup photo without earpads as well if possible !?

Mar 24, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #148 of 1,571
I have gone back and forth comparing the TC and R10 listening to the same songs multiple times.
As a point of reference, the TC is IMHO the best headphone in the world, and I have heard and owned and sold many of the TOTL cans.
IMHO- the R10 is within very very close striking distance to the TC on most technicalities. So close, that it does not really matter.

Two obvious differences in a general sense:
1. Bass is more in quantity on the TC, but the R10 is plenty sufficient- even for rock and roll.
2. Soundstage on TC is noticeably wider but R10 soundstage is perhaps deeper- and has that magical 3-D effect.

Both are clean, non-veiled, fast, ultra transparent. TC has the edge in these areas, but R10 is not far behind. Tonality, euphonics, musicality- I would give a slight edge to the R10; but not as much as I would have thought.

In terms of enjoyment- which is really the bottom line- the R10 IMHO provides me (in my first two days) close to EQUAL enjoyment to the TC, a feat which no other headphone at any price,- and I have tried many, has accomplished. And all of this- with the miracle that the R10 is both CLOSED and also using dynamic drivers.

As of today, if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to sell one of them- I would sell the R10. However, only a gun to the head could make me do it. It is that close.

I look forward to seeing how I feel about this comparison on 30 days- as it will be a much more accurate barometer.
And you forgot the most important thing: 1,7K $ vs (right now) 6K $ :rolling_eyes:

In my case scenario, I can't use open back headphones and even if I would have the money I wouldn't spent it in 6K headphones...

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #149 of 1,571
Hello i have another question since i couldnot find the answer yet or do i miss it, how's earpads change mechanism on this (its glued like audeze as example or used ring attached like some fostex th series), can i see the driver cup photo without earpads as well if possible !?
Truthfully, I don’t want to take the earpads off until I have to, in fear of breaking something (I’m paranoid…). But I felt around, and it does appear they are detachable with a ring like the Fostex headphones. I may do a little more fooling around with it tomorrow, but I’m not going to make any promises 🤷‍♂️

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #150 of 1,571
Truthfully, I don’t want to take the earpads off until I have to, in fear of breaking something (I’m paranoid…). But I felt around, and it does appear they are detachable with a ring like the Fostex headphones. I may do a little more fooling around with it tomorrow, but I’m not going to make any promises 🤷‍♂️
Noticed you've inserted the R10 into your signature... is that also your current ranking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back