ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Mar 23, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #121 of 1,571
Current conclusion after one day: 70%-80% faithful to the original. Excellent detail- but not quite summit level. Euphonic, musical, unique deep 3-D soundstage. Somewhat Insufficient bass, but nowhere near anemic. Excellent beautiful crystal clear natural tone.

I do not think it would be classified as a TOTL can is it one step below the titans in detail and one to two steps below in bass. It would be classified as a specialized headphone producing a very unique clear 3-D sound. It really is not fair to compare against anything because it does not sound like anything. It is it's own independent sound signature- just like the OG was. It was made for a specific magic that nothing else does. Appreciating this magic is also accepting it's limitations.
I think you're right, and the fact that they sound different is really appealing to me. I have a lot of headphones, and only keep ones that do something different than the others. I'm not looking for an "all-arounder" (as I already have that), so the ES R10 is perfect for me personally.

Mar 23, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #122 of 1,571
I think you're right, and the fact that they sound different is really appealing to me. I have a lot of headphones, and only keep ones that do something different than the others. I'm not looking for an "all-arounder" (as I already have that), so the ES R10 is perfect for me personally.
I agree. A lot of audiophiles probably have intentions of purchasing multiple headphones that sound different from one another. The es-r10 lacking bass for example is not an issue to me since I already have headphones that focus more on bass.

Mar 23, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #123 of 1,571
I agree. A lot of audiophiles probably have intentions of purchasing multiple headphones that sound different from one another. The es-r10 lacking bass for example is not an issue to me since I already have headphones that focus more on bass.
I don't even think they lack bass at all. Just not it's strength like with the TC or LCD-4 or TH-900. But not anemic AT ALL. The bass is kind of passive. What I mean is it is not prevalent, but not lacking. Kind of quietly doing it's job without being making itself stand out. I would call it natural bass for lack of a better term..

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #125 of 1,571
The intention of the builder was not to make the technically best headphone in the world. His intention was to copy the MDR-R10 (which was perhaps the most legendary headphones in history) in aesthetics and sound signature as close as possible without having to charge $4,000 or $6,000. If you liked the MDR-R10, this is the absolutely closest copy ever made BY FAR regardless of price. If you did not like the MDR-R10, do not buy these headphones.

The real and proper comparison of these headphones must be to a Sony MDR-R10. I sold mine 15 years ago- so I cant participate.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #126 of 1,571
The intention of the builder was not to make the technically best headphone in the world. His intention was to copy the MDR-R10 (which was perhaps the most legendary headphones in history) in aesthetics and sound signature as close as possible without having to charge $4,000 or $6,000. If you liked the MDR-R10, this is the absolutely closest copy ever made BY FAR regardless of price. If you did not like the MDR-R10, do not buy these headphones.

The real and proper comparison of these headphones must be to a Sony MDR-R10. I sold mine 15 years ago- so I cant participate.
We gotta wait for @protoss for that I think

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #128 of 1,571
I order the ES-1 alpha and the ES R10.
I should have it in 2 weeks or less :beerchug:
I'm tempted by the ES-1 Alpha and look forward to your impressions of both

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #129 of 1,571
the most legendary headphones in history
Yes, the Sony MDR R10 is the most legendary.
The STAX Omega 1993 is the most obscure legendary ever made.
The Sennheiser HE90 is the unobtainable legendary headphone.

The last one is Q010-MDR1, probably the most notorious legend, 250 units only.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #130 of 1,571
I don't even think they lack bass at all. Just not it's strength like with the TC or LCD-4 or TH-900. But not anemic AT ALL. The bass is kind of passive. What I mean is it is not prevalent, but not lacking. Kind of quietly doing it's job without being making itself stand out. I would call it natural bass for lack of a better term..
I agree. The bass is forgivable as mentioned in my Atticus and th900 comparison.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #131 of 1,571

A Q010-MDR1 would also be an interesting headphone to make a replica of. However, shouldn't there be some kind of universal solution to the Qualias fit? I believe people had mentioned different headbands and pads for customers with different head sizes. Wasn't it made to order?

Mar 23, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #132 of 1,571

I sold my Sony MDR-R10s and Sennheiser HE90 some years back becasue I was happy with other TOTL headphones and the pricing on them was outrageous. Still have an original Stax SR-Omega, not sure I would ever part with them.

But at this price for this R10 copy it really is a great choice in my mind, happy if it gets close. Not expecting it to be the best, but I have 3 other headphones in rotation so this will be a nice addition.

I absolutely loved the original R10, but the age issues are real, had a driver go bad, and did not want to get stuck with them, so sold

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #133 of 1,571
The TC and ES-R10 (as of today) are the only phones I own. I need time to compare- perhaps a week or so.

Initial hunch going back and forth; TC still wins in absolute terms- but it is IMHO more of an issue of different than better. TC is the technical giant. ES-R10 is beauty, and soul. Exactly what I was expecting. It is like SS vs tube. If you ever heard the MDR-R10, this is really very very close. Just stunning. Is the MDR-R10 better or worse than the TC? It is a comparison of apples and oranges that cannot really be properly made. They were built to achieve a different effect.

I need a week.....
Do you own/have you listen to Sony Z1Rs? What you are describing is what I feel about my Z7s and what Z1Rs lovers tell about them...

Not long ago, a friend of mine here (@albertmuc) bought the Z1Rs and the first thing I said to him was: "don't try to compare them with your other headphones, just enjoy it's signature and musicality", same as I do when I'm with my Z7s.

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #134 of 1,571
The ES-R10 is kind of a specialized flavor. Not classic at all. Agree that bass is O.K. but is the biggest limitation. That however is faithful to the OG.
Do they have more bass than HD 800?, to put a known example :relieved: I love the bass quality of the HD 800, but all of you know that lacks impact.

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #135 of 1,571
I think another thing to keep in mind is that when comparing the es-r10 to summit fi cans, I am reminded of my es-r10 vs stellia comparison. Even if a headphone proves to have more detail, soundstage width, depth, resolution etc, the smile I get on my face when I listen to the es-r10 knowing I didn't have to buy any special high end amp or dac combo to achieve this level of satisfaction in my opinion trounces my feelings toward any summit fi headphone or setup.

For newcomers to this thread the es-r10 pitches a strong argument in my opinion. I think the es-r10 argues: Why build an expensive system around a headphone in an effort to hopefully make it work out at all, knowing there are still downsides to its specific flavor when you can get the es-r10 that requires really nothing more than a much cheaper setup to get going and have the headphones special take on sound do all the work to give the listener a fun near perfect experience worth its price?
They are "sound science" headphones... :smile: hahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back