ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Mar 17, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #46 of 1,571
omega 1990; would you say the ES-R10 is "euphonic" sounding? This was also perhaps one of the hallmark baseline descriptions of the MDR-R10.

Also, how is the instrument separation? I would say the MDR-R10 excelled in this area very very much to my memmory.
While again I have never owned or heard an mdr-10 it is becoming increasingly clear that the level of euphonics has me scratching my head in a good way. Like when I played the es-r10 vs the th900 I almost wanted to laugh at the th900's attempts at sounding as pleasing as the es-r10, because the vocals, mids and treble were so reference sounding but so easy and clear to listen to that its like having your audiophile cake and eating it too.

Due to hearing that euphonic mids to treble it may be necessary to simply pull out my estats as well because while the es-r10 has more physicality than an estat (so not ethereal), it does make me believe the sounds have a free floating effect to them that spark reminders of an estat. On top of that the speed is fast enough that hearing smaller sounds cross from one side of the cup to the other are also pretty impressive. One of the songs I listened to was speed demon by Michael Jackson, at the beginning of the song a car is heard traveling from one side to the other. On the es-r10 my impression of its physical size was more realistic sounding than the Atticus and had an enlarged size to it, this vehicle also maintained its large mass as it seamlessly traveled from one side to the other like if it was in front of me. The Atticus showed it as a smaller image but seemed to somewhat disappear and quiet down reaching the center of my head only to re-enlarge and increase volume as it transferred fully to the right side.

Imaging is impressive but I want to be careful with my words on that as well. I think the imaging is so impressive because of the amount of airy separation between individual sounds. It has a more natural imaging effect than a hd800 from memory as I have not pulled it out to compare to yet, but the space is playing itself in a way that sometimes I feel like I've placed my head inside a diorama of a concert hall. Higher end cans will be of a greater help as it may bring the necessary reality check to not become overhyped by this headphones technical performance. I'm impressed, but I need to have a reference point that exceeds it to better place how I feel about it. When I make time to compare it to the stellia, verite closed, 009S, lcd 4 and even my solitare p-se I think we will have better parameters to determine how far this headphone goes and find out whether it can even keep up at that much higher level. I don't want to build up false hype, but again I am impressed.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #47 of 1,571
While again I have never owned or heard an mdr-10 it is becoming increasingly clear that the level of euphonics has me scratching my head in a good way. Like when I played the es-r10 vs the th900 I almost wanted to laugh at the th900's attempts at sounding as pleasing as the es-r10, because the vocals, mids and treble were so reference sounding but so easy and clear to listen to that its like having your audiophile cake and eating it too.

Due to hearing that euphonic mids to treble it may be necessary to simply pull out my estats as well because while the es-r10 has more physicality than an estat (so not ethereal), it does make me believe the sounds have a free floating effect to them that spark reminders of an estat. On top of that the speed is fast enough that hearing smaller sounds cross from one side of the cup to the other are also pretty impressive. One of the songs I listened to was speed demon by Michael Jackson, at the beginning of the song a car is heard traveling from one side to the other. On the es-r10 my impression of its physical size was more realistic sounding than the Atticus and had an enlarged size to it, this vehicle also maintained its large mass as it seamlessly traveled from one side to the other like if it was in front of me. The Atticus showed it as a smaller image but seemed to somewhat disappear and quiet down reaching the center of my head only to renalarge and increase volume as it transferred fully to the right side.

Imaging is impressive but I want to be careful with my words on that as well. I think the imaging is so impressive because of the amount of airy separation between them. It has a more natural imaging effect than a hd800 from memory as I have not pulled it out to compare to yet, but the space is playing itself in a way that sometimes I feel like I've placed my head inside a diorama of a concert hall. Higher end cans will be of a greater help as it may bring the necessary reality check to not become overhyped by this headphones technical performance. I'm impressed, but I need to have a reference point that exceeds it to better place how I feel about it. When I make time to compare it to the stellia, verite closed, 009S, lcd 4 and even my solitare p-se I think we will have better parameters to determine how far this headphone goes and find out whether it can even keep up at that much higher level. I don't want to build up false hype, but again I am impressed.
Again- sounds very much like a description of the original. For me, comparisons to SR-009, LCD-4, and Solitare, while perhaps useful to others, is not to me. They are different technologies meant to sound different. The MDR-R10 was not technically the best headphone ever made. It was pretty high up there, but certainly many recent e-stats and planners have improved on the MDR-R10 on technicalities. The MDR-R10 was about euphonic magic, soul, depth, and the beauty of sound like no other headphone ever while maintaining excellent- but not best ever technicalities. I already have the TC for the technical stuff. I want the MDR-R10 for the beauty and so I can have two very very different flavors. Looking good for the ES-R10... Thank you...

Mar 17, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #48 of 1,571
Again- sounds very much like a description of the original. For me, comparisons to SR-009, LCD-4, and Solitare, while perhaps useful to others, is not to me. They are different technologies meant to sound different. The MDR-R10 was not technically the best headphone ever made. It was pretty high up there, but certainly many recent e-stats and planners have improved on the MDR-R10 on technicalities. The MDR-R10 was about euphonic magic, soul, depth, and the beauty of sound like no other headphone ever while maintaining excellent- but not best ever technicalities. I already have the TC for the technical stuff. I want the MDR-R10 for the beauty and so I can have two very very different flavors. Looking good for the ES-R10... Thank you...
I agree that it is not reaching for the highest tier, but I will eventually compare them to those headphones in determining how much is actual detail vs being beautified by the euphonics. I think it does play a bit above its current price but I have a feeling a stax 007 and verite closed will be the area it will fall in.

Mar 17, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #49 of 1,571
Another important point.. Every headphone sounds different with tubes vs SS driving it. Many have preferences for one or the other depending on taste and on which headphones. However if there has ever been a near universal agreement on tubes vs SS with any headphone ever made, it is with the MDR-R10 which clearly was meant to be used with tubes driving it in order to magnify the euphonic 3-D effect. So- I don't know if you are using a tube amp or preamp- but in the case of the OG- tubes was critical perhaps more than any other headphone and therefore any comparison of the ES-R10 to other headphones using SS may put the ES-R10 at a proportional disadvantage.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #50 of 1,571
Another important point.. Every headphone sounds different with tubes vs SS driving it. Many have preferences for one or the other depending on taste and on which headphones. However if there has ever been a near universal agreement on tubes vs SS with any headphone ever made, it is with the MDR-R10 which clearly was meant to be used with tubes driving it in order to magnify the euphonic 3-D effect. So- I don't know if you are using a tube amp or preamp- but in the case of the OG- tubes was critical perhaps more than any other headphone and therefore any comparison of the ES-R10 to other headphones using SS may put the ES-R10 at a proportional disadvantage.
I believe in what you're saying. I'm currently using a solid state, the burson soloist 3x performance, the only tube amp is for my estats. I see Ciggavelli has a Woo Audio WA33, so that should touch on the tube strengths for the es-r10.

I hope to upgrade both my amps to something higher end eventually maybe a tube for my dynamic and planars, but I haven't finalized what I want yet. Too many good options, and moths are currently flying out of my wallet. :)

Mar 17, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #52 of 1,571
Hi, was wondering, beside th900, can you compare this with verite closed or maybe denon d9200, ath awkt, lcd xc or hd820, since they almost in same price category (i saw this at 15,000 HK usd), just curious, also send you pm regarding other question i had in mind, but obviously most importantly if u can compare with verite closed

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #53 of 1,571
Hi, was wondering, beside th900, can you compare this with verite closed or maybe denon d9200, ath awkt, lcd xc or hd820, since they almost in same price category (i saw this at 15,000 HK usd), just curious, also send you pm regarding other question i had in mind, but obviously most importantly if u can compare with verite closed
Unfortunately I have not heard any of those closed backs outside the th900 and verite closed. If it isn't listed in my profile, I probably have not heard it. That said you might wanna check out the closed back headphone thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-closed-back-headphone-thread-plus-comparisons-reviews.939901/

The search function is your friend in bigger threads like that.

Also I think the user @Malevolent has probably heard some or maybe all of those headphones and could give you a better answer than I could.

While I own a th900 it is a limited release version that has a tweaked tuning and have never heard the original th900. Also the verite closed and stellia comparison might not be posted until this Sunday as my schedule is getting pretty hectic. If I can make the comparison sooner than great, but no guarantees.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #54 of 1,571
Unfortunately I have not heard any of those closed backs outside the th900 and verite closed. If it isn't listed in my profile, I probably have not heard it. That said you might wanna check out the closed back headphone thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-closed-back-headphone-thread-plus-comparisons-reviews.939901/

Also I think the user @Malevolent has probably heard some or maybe all of those headphones and could give you a better answer than I could.

While I own a th900 it is a limited release version that has a tweaked tuning and have never heard the original th900. Also the verite closed and stellia comparison might not be posted until this Sunday as my schedule is getting pretty hectic. If I can make the comparison sooner than great, but no guarantees.
Ok then, regarding ES-10, do they detachable, what connector they do use ? I saw several photo but it seemed they're not detachable, if they're detachable, what connector do they use, i couldnot found the info, thks

Edit : i Saw picture, they do detachable, is that costum or from default package, because the other pic on the internet seemed not detachable, what i want to know maybe the connector or the termination they use

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #55 of 1,571
The cable is detachable, and is a custom connector. On the site store page for the es-r10, right under the buy now button is a clickable line of text "full description" that you can click and download a pdf. This is the page from that pdf that explains the cable. It screws onto the es-r10.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220317-194320_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220317-194320_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 18, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #56 of 1,571
I wish they could make me a longer cable, but they would not, so I asked for extra connectors to attach to my OCC silver cable. They are throwing in the extra connectors for free.

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #57 of 1,571
Ok then, regarding ES-10, do they detachable, what connector they do use ? I saw several photo but it seemed they're not detachable, if they're detachable, what connector do they use, i couldnot found the info, thks

Edit : i Saw picture, they do detachable, is that costum or from default package, because the other pic on the internet seemed not detachable, what i want to know maybe the connector or the termination they use
They told me the connectors are smc (the HE6 connectors).

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #58 of 1,571
I just spoke with the maker. He's shipping mine tomorrow :L3000:

I chose the XLR connection, and he asked if I had an XLR to 6.35 adapter (which I do). He said it sounds better single ended. I'll try both.

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #59 of 1,571

Don't bring Malevolent to this thread... His wife will be angry with you :relieved: (I mean, when Malevolent knows about a R10 replica, I think he will love to try -own- them... and I think he was debating about some Stellias or other closed backs that wander around his thoughts...). You are the devil :smiling_imp: :wink:

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #60 of 1,571
I just spoke with the maker. He's shipping mine tomorrow :L3000:

I chose the XLR connection, and he asked if I had an XLR to 6.35 adapter (which I do). He said it sounds better single ended. I'll try both.
Neat I'll give my adapter a try as well. Thanks for the heads up. Also I'm glad to hear yours will finally be shipped out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back