Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Apr 20, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #9,796 of 9,892
I'm listening to a pair of Brimar (Haltron branded) type 42 with a pair of Lorenz C3g. The type 42 has seen no use at all but is very promising from start and remind me much of 6K6. I'm very curious about their development. As rectifier I have one Eindhoven EZ40 from 1950 in adapter.
Before this setup I tried a pair of EL42 (Sittard) as input with a pair of EL41 (also Sittard) as output. The sound was very promising from that combo too. Same rectifier. All five tubes were Holland made innovals, just for the fun of it.
Liking those 42s, huh? I too have been enjoying them recently as they've been given a fresh start, and the blacked out glass is very aesthetically pleasing, no doubt about that!

Apr 20, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #9,797 of 9,892
Here's my assessment of Supreme as a speaker amp. At 5w, it's not a lot but will drive efficient speakers at moderate levels. It will drive a pair of bookshelf on your desktop at nearfield very well.

If however you're expecting it to drive floorstanders with bass authority and heft then that's asking too much.

Eric's 300b or KT170 speaker amp at 8 watts will do that nicely.

Ultimate and Supreme are first and foremost headphone amps, preamp and speaker amps in that order.
Tried my Ultimate on my Elac Debut 6 speakers but with poor results. But I get excellent results when I use the Ultimate as a preamp. (If you don’t have preamp out jacks, the headphone jack serves the same function).
I use an old Onkyo 85W receiver from the 80s and it sounds great.
You can buy an XLR adapter to 6.35 mm headphone plug and listen to headphones together with pre amped speakers, or have both plugged in and select either.

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #9,798 of 9,892
Breaking news. :relaxed:

Mathavan is ordering a Super Ultimate with all the bells and whistles AND also 12.6v or 6.3v option via a lock toggle switch. It will have a small 6v filament transformer to handle that. Mathavan will have 4 McChanson amps. Holy smoke I thought I have no temperance. :beyersmile:

That means you can use 12J5 or 12SN7 or 12SL7 drivers.

Mr Hai, if you want your Super Supreme with this option please see Eric now.

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #9,799 of 9,892

Mathavan is ordering a Super Ultimate with all the bells and whistles AND also 12.6v or 6.3v option via a lock toggle switch. It will have a small 6v filament transformer to handle that. Mathavan will have 4 McChanson amps. Holy smoke I thought I have no temperance. :beyersmile:

Thank you Matt, for letting me know. LTA MZ3 has this option, either 6SN7 or 12SN7 ( i do have a lot of 12SN7 tubes). I did not hear any difference at all, so I will keep 6.3v on the SupremE.

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #9,800 of 9,892
Thank you Matt, for letting me know. LTA MZ3 has this option, either 6SN7 or 12SN7 ( i do have a lot of 12SN7 tubes). I did not hear any difference at all, so I will keep 6.3v on the SupremE.

The difference is cheaper tubes for 12J5 and 12SL7.

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #9,801 of 9,892

Does that mean another new Ultimate for you or will your current one be converted for it?
What you're planning sounds exciting.

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #9,802 of 9,892
Does that mean another new Ultimate for you or will your current one be converted for it?
What you're planning sounds exciting.

It's not for me. It's for Mathavan. Not sure if I will have mine modified. Too much hassle once it's build. However if it's my first Super Ultimate, I would have that.

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #9,804 of 9,892
It's not for me. It's for Mathavan. Not sure if I will have mine modified. Too much hassle once it's build. However if it's my first Super Ultimate, I would have that.

So you mean Mathaven is a user and another member of the Ultimate family.
Then congratulations and welcome.
Did I misunderstand you, I thought there was something new from the Matt haven cloud regarding ultimate, 😂😂😂😂😂.

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #9,805 of 9,892
So you mean Mathaven is a user and another member of the Ultimate family.
Then congratulations and welcome.
Did I misunderstand you, I thought there was something new from the Matt haven cloud regarding ultimate, 😂😂😂😂😂.

That is Mathavan the owner of my Destiny and a Super Black Supreme and another McChanson amp. This Super Ultimate will be his 4th McChanson amps. :relaxed:

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #9,806 of 9,892
mundorf_-_ez81_-_6s3p_-_el39.jpg

Mundorf - EZ81 - 6S3P - EL39 🎶🎵👂 🤩

Sounds balanced-warm and spacious, possibly my favorite combination, maybe someone would like to recreate it...

Apr 21, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #9,808 of 9,892
I'm just spellbound by the sound of this gEm with Raytheon 5751 Windmill and Mullard 6080. It's smooth with a capital S. The tone is all curvy with no rough edges. Midrange is a bit fat and there's reverb in the bass. It is as powerful as Ultimate.

IMG_9181.jpg

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #9,810 of 9,892
"Sakuma style.
What is Sakuma style? Well if you look at the Sakuma designs, you can see that he often uses power valves as drivers. Many times the driver is the same valve as the power valve. Sakuma has some interesting designs as well, like "the window of sound" and "two point earthing method" which, according to him, directy translates to good sound quality. Supposedly authority in sound is determined by the energy of the heater, be it directly or inderctly heated valves. Maybe if we look at that aspect, high energy on the heater means most certainly a power valve which has a low plate impedance. So to go Sakuma style maybe EL3N driving EL3N might improve sound quality"?

From https://www.dhtrob.com/impressies/el3n_se_sakuma.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back