Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Apr 16, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #9,661 of 9,892
Apr 16, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #9,662 of 9,892
Is the Haltron russian? :relaxed: Can't believe the Philips 807 has USA on it but it is russian. What is happening to the world.
As a general rule: Philips never made 807, so if you see Philips 807 be careful what you buy. They will be something else.

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #9,663 of 9,892
I Recently got these tubes after reading what @OctavianH said about them https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tube-rolling-thread-ultrasonic-studios.953317/post-17812482 not 100% sure they will work in UltimatE though ?
I think they will. Can you please do me a favour and make a photo of the "bottom" of the base? I will explain why, mine have some date code on the bottom which I think is related to Valvo, Hamburg as the manufacturer (D-code). (later edit: this is wrong)

1713254243699.png

But I know also that some french manufacturers produced these. If those of yours are made in France you are lucky. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #9,664 of 9,892
Apr 16, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #9,665 of 9,892
I believe @rollinbr bought these. We will let him tell us if they work in Ultimate with 807 adapters. I think it should.
I had picked them up from the same @OctavianH post in the "Tube rolling thread - UltraSonic Studios" thread. I used them for a month in my Chameleon amp. I really like the PE06/40N tubes. Ran them at 40mA in Chameleon since it is pot adjustable. Just put them in the UltimatE and yes they do work. They run at 58.5mV which is 58.5mA so they are safe to use in UltimatE. After warming up for 25 minutes they are at 57.7mV. Lower picture is with the lights off and the PE06/40N tubes in Chameleon.
Super SilkE UltimatE PE0640N.jpg
Chameleon with PE06-40N Tubes.jpg
I think they will. Can you please do me a favour and make a photo of the "bottom" of the base? I will explain why, mine have some date code on the bottom which I think is related to Valvo, Hamburg as the manufacturer (D-code).

1713254243699.png

But I know also that some french manufacturers produced these. If those of yours are made in France you are lucky. :wink:
The lettering on the box top of these says Made In France. Here's a picture of the base and on the tube it says Made In France.
Box of Phillips PE0640N.jpgBase of Phillips PE0640-N.jpgPE0640N Made In France.jpg

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #9,666 of 9,892
The lettering on the box top of these says Made In France. Here's a picture of the base and on the tube it says Made In France.
This is very valuable info for me. Thank you. It shows me how wrong I was thinking that KL/DUF is related to the D-codes. No, DU is the tube type even if I cannot see it in any of the Philips code books I look, F is a revision (older than 8 you have) which leads me to KL as being related to factory. But K is missing from my codes as well. Anyway very valuable information.

PS. It seems your tubes are French, Brive-la-Gaillarde.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #9,667 of 9,892
So, my tubes have all arrived.

20240416_122858.jpg

Gec KT63:

20240416_104821.jpg

Really very good tube, while I was cleaning the tubes and labelling the boxes I could listen in a bit.
I haven't found the right match yet but I will.
It ran with Tungsol 12AT7 Blackplates which probably broke in a bit due to the burn, which is a bit typical of Tung Sol if it hasn't seen its first 100 hours yet, it's not very good.
Only then do they usually perform very well.
I then changed to 13D9 Brimar as the driver tube.
This is another driver tube that you should have on your radar.
Firstly because blackplates and secondly because it's not typically Brimar warm and woolly, more on the neutral side, nice wide open stage, transparent and also very good separation, crisp with a lot of bite on the instruments.
I left the Ez81 RFT in with both driver tubes.
The bass is very crisp with the Gec's but it has the typical RFT sharpness in it where I liked it better with the 6L6Y Rca.
It was a better match.
The Gec Kt63 is slightly different from the KT66, but because it's just starting out I don't want to go too far out on a limb until I've gained more knowledge.
But it's worth it if you don't have the money for the KT66, even if it's a bit more neutral, the features are there from the KT66.
As I said, they could be out of stock quickly, also because of the Aegis amplifier, which has already been mentioned there, and it will be even more out of stock when ZMF brings out their Aegis, probably until it is no longer available.
Langerex has very few in stock, I waited 6 months for them to be available again because they only had one and logically needed a pair.
It was worth the wait.

6K6:
The Sylvania with the blackplates look dangerous I'm looking forward to the sound.
I expect a warm and clear tone from the tube if I had to judge.
Visseaux 6K6 I just had to have a replacement, I paid too much shipping and Langerex threw them in when I asked.
20240416_114102.jpg

EL84 Mullard:
I have looked, they are also available on Langerex but slightly used.
The yellow logo and RX1 code indicates that these are probably the first Mullard made in England in the mid/late 1950s.
Also very excited about this.

6V6 Mullard:
My friend said they weren't that special on the Cayin HA3A.
I disagree about the Ultimate, also got nice NIB.
Also very excited too about it.

6SL7 GT Tung Sol,EL34 Svetlana and Kt 88 Sed:

I can't say anything about them yet.
I got the EL34s cheaply from Langerex and, like the KT88s, they still come from St Petersburg.
Not to be confused with Saratov where EH,Tung Sol,now Svetlana ect are made.
Also very curious to see what they are like.
EL34 I just had to have another,as the Sophia Electric have a dark tone I wanted to know if that was a character thing or tube thing and the pair was also quite cheap.
KT88 is my first pair, read a lot of good things about the Russian tube and the 6550 is supposed to be a bit better if you can find some that were made in St.Petersburg.
I bought 3 new 12AT7 National Electric disguised as General Electric on Ebay for 30€ at the weekend.
These are also on their way to me and are not supposed to be bad driver tubes.
Now the KT88 will come in next so that I have a comparison to Kt63/88.

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #9,668 of 9,892
I've already thought about the Russian one.
But I'm not sure how they sound.
I almost like the Haltron better.
According to the consignment history, my complete order has arrived.
I think I'll forget about 807 for a few weeks.
Do you know who made your Haltron branded tube? And did Haltron get 807 type tubes from different manufacturers?
As usual, there are probably more brands than manufacturers so we often don't know what we compare. And then we have different eras of manufacture too. And maybe different production sites. And also... :thinking: :smile:

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #9,669 of 9,892
Do you know who made your Haltron branded tube? And did Haltron get 807 type tubes from different manufacturers?
As usual, there are probably more brands than manufacturers so we often don't know what we compare. And then we have different eras of manufacture too. And maybe different production sites. And also... :thinking: :smile:
Haltron bought mainly in England, which doesn't necessarily mean that everything came from England.
I would say predominantly yes.
I have EZ80 and EL81 from Haltron and both came from Mullard.
I would think that the 807 tube is British made.
I can't say exactly who it is.
I would definitely buy 807 if possible after WW2.
Because it was in high demand during the war there were some failures.
That's the only reason why you should buy after WW2.
Conversely, it also means that the ones made during the war were not bad per se.
Rca made the best ones.
There's a story about it somewhere on R-Type.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #9,670 of 9,892
Here, too, I left the Ez81 Rft in and the Brimar 13D9 and only swapped the KT63 for the KT88 SED.
20240416_185309.jpg

Somehow it fitted right away.
Compared to the Gec Kt63, the KT88 Sed have a clearer low end at the top, the decay is a little longer and more sustained which I immediately noticed, less crisp and generally more gentle.
But you also notice that decades of development are separating here.
The Gec Kt63 is also very good here, the Russian KT88 is actually slightly better in all areas at first hearing.

If you have only heard the Russian KT88 roughly, I understand the hype about this tube, and I think it will be a good deal better after a burn-in.
I will expect the same from the Gec KT63, as the KT66 also took some time to improve, the KT63/88 will definitely improve.
The bass from the KT88 is a bit typical Russian from the tube, which usually only gets better after more hours, dry and a bit woody at the beginning, but it got better after 4 hours, the impact and effect was much more pleasant after 4 hours.
In general it has a warm tone, smooth midrange and the low end is also very good.
Very nice separations that are smooth and crisp, everything is nicely centred and well sorted in vocals and instrument distribution.
Zero haze or similar, performs very well right from the start.
I think that a slightly more neutral driver tube will open up the barrel here and the rest will round everything off better with the right rectifier.
The RFT EZ81 also seems to fit well here, I think it makes everything a little more neutral, the sharpness in the high frequencies is just right, and has a nice micro detail that comes into its own, even with the instruments everything is very clean and smooth.
I already like these KT88s, apart from that they look very nice on the Ultimate.
It has been absolutely worth the money so far.
Here again a little warning:
It must be the production from St.Petersburg, not Saratov.
Many sell them as Saratov version, so be vigilant in the description.
Features are winged C and the picture is important to compare as there is also one without winged C version.
The winged C also has 3 square slots in the centre of the plate and the upper part is winged in a sort of V shape depending on how you look at it.
The same is also the case with the 6550, be sure to compare photos beforehand.
SED is also the old designation before it became Svetlana.

SED.jpg

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #9,671 of 9,892
Continue with EL34 SED:

20240416_200520.jpg

Also here Ez81 RFT has remained with 13D9 Brimar.
This tube is also absolutely worthwhile, even the first time you switch it on it sounds very good.
Significantly less dark than the Sophie Electric EL34.
So here a character thing of the tube at the point, because the EL34 SED definitely do not sound bright, bright yes but brighter than the Sophia, which are quite dark in comparison, so better.
The tube drew me in straight away, very smooth and soft, great solid bass range, warm and neutral without being too much or too little.
Very nice, refined midrange, soft in the voices without overdoing it.
Very clean treble and strong low end.
The instruments are a touch clearer here than with the KT88 and can also be kept apart nicely.
But as always, everything is still dewy, but this EL34 Sed really performs very strongly and is also worthwhile on Ultimate.
Of all the ones I've heard so far, this one is in first place, followed by the Gec Kt63 and then the KT88.
However, all 3 output tubes are very good and have their own characteristics.
The choice would be difficult if you could only afford one of the pairs.
However, I would still go for the still available Gec KT63 first because of its rarity value.
Then the EL34 SED, which are more readily available and easier to find, and the KT88.
I am surprised by these Russian tubes, they are really very good and have absolutely nothing to do with the Nos.
They are not dry or sterile as you might think.
I will go into more detail after Burn in on all the ones that came today.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #9,672 of 9,892
My head slowly needs a break. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:
I have tested 6V6 Mullard and 6K6 Sylvania.
Rectifier and driver tube remained the same.

6V6 Mullard: Amazingly good tube, was a bit bright in tone and could have been a bit warmer for my taste.
Plays very transparent, open and detailed and also very powerful.
Could benefit a little more oommpppff with 6SL7/5751 instead of 12AT7.
However, I can imagine that the Brimar Yellow T or even Footscray would fit well, as well as a slightly softer rectifier tube.
The midrange was very clear and distinct, the treble is a bit sharp, but I think the right pairing will do the trick.
All in all a very good 6V6 for Ultimate, I also think that it will probably work even better with the Mundorf than with the Vcap CuTF.
Because it will also help to play a little less sharp and a little warmer and detailed enough as well.

Sylvania 6K6:
Ouufff, I was expecting something from it but it has put the 6V6 Mullard in its place for me if I'm honest.
Especially if you listen to the 6V6 and then listen to the 6K6 you will hear direct differences.
It immediately plays more direct, dynamic, liquid, deep and far into the stage without the mid-range and vocals seeming out of place.
The vocals remain focussed and direct and the rest of the music caresses and massages everything around it.
In addition to the Visseaux, this is another pair that is absolutely worth the money.
Smoother is probably still possible with a 12Au7, the 13D9 Brimar brings a lot of amplification here that is already over at below 9 o'clock pot position.
Powerful tube for little money and very underrated.
6K6 should have received more attention because they play very strongly.
Partly better than high-calibre 6V6 tubes which are overpriced.

13D9 Brimar:
Since she was inside the whole time and was able to gain some knowledge.
It plays extremely clearly and distinctly, with very good bass, right into the sub-bass range.
The midrange is very emotional and smooth, you can close your eyes and feel the vocals.
The treble is slightly sharp, and I think it's down to the EZ81 Rft tickling out the last few Hz.
It will certainly be better with a softer Ez rectifier tube, and perhaps play a little creamier with a 6BW4.
All in all, the Brimar 13D9 is a strong driver tube, and reminds me a lot of the B309 in terms of sound. You should buy one while they're cheap, and they are a bit rare, the good thing is that very few people have them on the shelf.
I will buy another one in stock when I get the chance.

Overall very happy with the purchase, all tubes have not caused any problems so far.
And for the collection they are all an enrichment, each pair in its own way.
I'm also starting to have a good selection of output tubes alongside the driver tubes for every suitable moment.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #9,673 of 9,892
Still early days with my russian Philips 807 but I find the tone very pleasing and crystal clear and with authority. My love for 807 has grown but it will take awhile before I compare it to EL39, EL38 and 6L6. These are the obvious candidates to compare it to.

I will be getting another pair of 807 and I will make sure it isn't another russian tube. Not that I have anything against the russian 807 but I need variety. :relaxed:

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #9,674 of 9,892
Still loving my CRYO 6550, thy haven’t been taken out of UltimatE since they went in several weeks ago, they are that good. They were a gift to me, I was very lucky.

https://pearl-hifi.com/

https://pearl-hifi.com/

Doesn't look like the wingend C from Sed, more like the Svetlana A.May the picture is not so good to see better the Getter part.😉
See here:
https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/svetlana-s-6550c

These are the most popular ones from Sed:
https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/sed-6550c-svetlana-c/russia

But keep it small the price is still good.
@UntilThen I hear you on the variety, especially with Ultimate it's fun 😁

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #9,675 of 9,892
Doesn't look like the wingend C from Sed, more like the Svetlana A.May the picture is not so good to see better the Getter part.😉
See here:
https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/svetlana-s-6550c

These are the most popular ones from Sed:
https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/sed-6550c-svetlana-c/russia

But keep it small the price is still good.
@UntilThen I hear you on the variety, especially with Ultimate it's fun 😁
It is in fact a winged C from Svetlana here’s some more photos for,you.

IMG_7275.jpeg

IMG_7277.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7277.jpeg
    IMG_7277.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back