Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Apr 16, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #9,646 of 9,892
You are getting a lot tubes all of a sudden. Both my 807 are USA.
Yes, it's a bit much 😅.
Should then last for a while again and be fine.
I'm only missing a few 807s, then I'll be complete.
However, 807s are a bit difficult to find by European standards.
Rca costs €45 for one, €90 for two and if I add a bit more I could have Mullard or Cossor.
Only the Russian ones are cheap to get here 15-20€ a tube.
I've also seen your Phillips for 90€ the pair.
Used RCA or others are a bit difficult without measurements.
That's why I'm still waiting and hoping for luck.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #9,648 of 9,892
Look exciting.
Swiss made is also new to me.
I can imagine that Switzerland had nothing to do with the Second World War and that's how contracts came about.
It looks like Philipps had a hand in it.
Is the other tube made in us or also Switzerland?
You can't see it so well on the picture of the right tube.
They can definitely be fun.
Hope you enjoy it.👍👍👍👍

I can't wait to see if my belated birthday present arrives from England today.
It was stuck at German customs for 10 days for nothing.
I have ordered it:
KT63 Gec Black glass
EL84 Mullard (slightly used)
6k6 Sylvania and as a replacement Visseaux
EL34 Svetlana Winged C Nos
6v6 Mullard
6SL7 Gt Tung sol Black glass
13D9 Brimar which also passes as a 12At7 and I have heard a lot about this tube.
From Italy and there again Oops stupid, the parcel is stuck 25 km from my home in the centre.
It contains KT 88 SED Wingend C.
So the very popular Russian ones from St. Petersburg, which have not been manufactured since 2012.
If you are interested in the KT63 you should hurry.
Because this tube, especially the Gec, is very rare and because they have gained popularity in the Aegis amplifier, generally the KT63 genre.
As Zmf will soon be selling the Zmf Aegis as a finished product, they could be out of stock very quickly.
If the parcel from England actually arrives today, KT63 will be the first thing I will hear.
Wow, that is a special birthday present @Deleeh !

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #9,649 of 9,892
Well, like our friend Matt did recently, I will be traveling and while excited for my 1st trip to Asia, will miss my daily oasis of UltimatE music. :notes:

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #9,650 of 9,892
Well, like our friend Matt did recently, I will be traveling and while excited for my 1st trip to Asia, will miss my daily oasis of UltimatE music. :notes:
Have a wonderful time! First trip to Asia is a big treat!

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #9,652 of 9,892
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #9,653 of 9,892
What is strange is that my Philips 807 has USA printed on the tube. I have seen Made in Great Britain ones and in the picture I attached below is one that says Swiss Made. :relaxed:
So I guess my 807 is probably RCA and RCA is the first to make 807. They invented it !

This pair of 807 is russian made. Shape of the glass and getters are indicating this. So it has nothing to do with Philips. Here it is mine:

1713245879688.png

Anyway, it does not sound too bad, just worse than the others being an idea more sterile. Here a link on Ebay to a similar pair marketed correctly.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #9,654 of 9,892
This pair of 807 is russian made. Shape of the glass and getters are indicating this. So it has nothing to do with Philips. He it is mine:

1713245879688.png

Anyway, it does not sound too bad, just worse than the others being an idea more sterile. Here a link on Ebay to a similar pair marketed correctly.

Oh damn looks like I need to get more 807

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #9,655 of 9,892
Apr 16, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #9,658 of 9,892
I Recently got these tubes after reading what @OctavianH said about them https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tube-rolling-thread-ultrasonic-studios.953317/post-17812482 not 100% sure they will work in UltimatE though ?
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 3.13.45 PM.png

I needed 3 days to understand something from this tube. In the end I guess I reached the point where I can say that I know what's going on with this signature. It is definitely diferrent from 807 or EL50. It's a brighter and very sharp presentation. Bass is fast and very articulated, dynamics I have no idea where they come from because gain is not bigger, but it sounds on steroids. On specific tracks and passages is clearly above 807 in terms of separation, detail and it is able to render very good complex passages where many instruments play together. But there is, as always, a problem. The midrange is an idea grainy and this kind of sharp signature might be an idea fatiguing. Most probably it's closer to reality than others, but is less musical than what I normally expect. On acoustical instruments is fabulous, all is crisp, you hear the air vibrating. But the longer and longer you listen you start to want a warmer signature, an idea more relaxed and smooth. I tried to sweeten it a bit with different types of tubes and I managed to do it up to a degree, but the problem is that this kind of sweetening sounded an idea veiled. Not night and day, but for sure, I felt I was breaking its main quality of being sharp. One of the most technical presentations I ever heard from an output tube and this is what fascinated me from the beginning. In the end I realized that the main deficiency of this tube is that it's not a good all-rounder. It's very good in what it does and kills others in terms of a technical presentation, but sometimes it forgets to be musical. For specific tracks is unbeatable, but for others lacks emotion. And in the end some technical aspects, this tube was designed to run at much higher currents than what I use here, I doubt I am exploring it on it's sweet spot and this is maybe another reason it sounds like this. I will try it in the future on a more powerful amp around 50-60mA and I will check again if it sounds in the same way or not. I do not have yet the experience of running the same tube at let's say 20mA, 40mA, 50mA and 200V or 350V to say if indeed, the sweet spot is higher or not. I just look at some datasheets and then, well, I feel I am way below the point described there as "typical operation".

I will keep these close but I have returned to Tesla 4654. For long listening sessions it is better for me.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #9,660 of 9,892

Users who are viewing this thread

Back