Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jul 1, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #406 of 9,892
Destiny just appreciated in value by 2 solid aluminium gold knobs. :jecklinsmile:

IMG_2674.jpg

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #407 of 9,892
This morning hum on He1000se with Destiny seems so soft that I cannot almost hear it. This 300b amp is just maturing as the weeks go by. It's worth every cent because it sounds good with headphones and speakers.

To be able to sound neither too dry or too wet, getting the mids and bass right and yet keeping the high frequencies sparkling with details is not an easy task. Destiny has got this right. I haven't spoken to Eric for a while but he has done a superb job with this amp.

Some days I use it for more than 6 hours at a stretch and it's just lukewarm except on the power transformer, which is just hot but not searing hot.

Jul 2, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #408 of 9,892
P1010016.jpg

Iron Man got wood
Some additions , Tasmanian Myrtle burl end plate , Acacia chopping block , Solid alloy feet , Sorbothane pads and Bakelite knob
I have been rolling rectifiers specifically GZ30 , GZ32 and GZ34
Basically the lush open tube character increases as the power of the rectifier decreases . So GZ30 specifically a Philips Miniwatt 5z4gt gives everything a Lana Del Rey feel and GZ34 specifically a Mullard Blackburn 5ar4 brings a more solid state feel with notably tighter bass and treble . I settled for now on a Philips Miniwatt 5v4g or GZ32 which has a nice level of Lana Del Rey but still good definition .
On noise , there is undeniably a noise floor anyone looking for the black hole kind of background modern solid state amps have will be disappointed .
Noise is off course a relative thing , at first the noise was invasive and clearly audible in quiet passages regardless of headphone type . After rolling some tubes I found the input tubes had the greatest effect , fortunately I had ordered a spare pair of 6em7 tubes , noise dropped to barely perceptible with high sensitivity headphones (100dB per Mw) and imperceptible with low sensitivity headphones .
As it stands with my preferred headphone Focal Clear I would not call it noise really it is more of a distant warmth that I need to really look for , pause the music and hold my breath kind of thing . Running in 5998 mode the greater gain lifts the noise to a definable hum but still very distant and only audible with music paused .
Sound quality is magnificent there is an overwhelming sense of organic power I have never experienced with 6as7 tubes .
Combined with a huge perception of space tones are beautifully rendered with each drum in the kit or string of the guitar easily discernible . From my basic research into how these things work it seems Eric uses the transformers to create small pockets of happiness or ideal operating parameters for the more tech people . Upside the tubes perform at their finest downside a little noise .
As with @UntilThen and Destiny heat is not an issue , measured with a ir thermometer nothing gets over 35c excepting the tubes which are hot , 6as7 plates run 125c stable over many hours .
I would recommend this amp to anyone looking for a distinctive powerful tube amp capable of running near any headphone on the market , just beware it does have character kind of like a vintage vehicle .

Jul 2, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #409 of 9,892
Your amp is looking great now with that exotic wood. :relaxed: There's something tonally right about McChanson amps. Eric gets it right where sound is concerned. Destiny is everything I wanted in a tube amp. Rich tube sound with micro details in abundance.

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #410 of 9,892
Been going live lately Bowie , Hendrix , Norah Jones astounding realism and thanks to the HE500 zero background noise
Quite a few Bowie concerts have been released recently in high res formats I suspect David considered the quality too low for release while he was running things
Through my SS amps I would agree the sound was a little veiled and distant however via Iron Man everything is dynamic and full of life

Jul 26, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #412 of 9,892
Chameleon is beginning to take off and become a living entity. Chameleon is based upon a Super marzE Amp : KT150 SE UL / SET Stereo Valve Tube amplifier but using Super Silk Transformers. Built using 4 Silk transformers on the top side and another choke filter and 2 I T (Interstage Transformers) mounted underneath. Was wanting to have the topside iron covered and the easiest, not cheapest though, way was to go with all Silk transformers. Also upgraded hardware: CMC style tube sockets, RCA and Speaker posts, etc.. The chassis is different as it is based on the last of Eric's "high profile" chassis. The dimensions in mm are 423 W, 340 D and 83 H which is the same chassis that was used for "Destiny". I'm really looking forward to the day when Chameleon will arrive but that will be down the road. Started this collaboration back in mid May so it hasn't been all that long for things to come together. Had to wait for the Silk transformers to be built, ~6 weeks, which are made in Thailand.

Once Chameleon is finished and Eric has released it, it will go to Matt/@UntilThen for another 2-4 weeks of use to make sure it's ready to be shipped to me. Matt has been my liaison working with Eric and was my conduit to getting Eric to build one of his McChanson amplifiers to be used in the US, 120V.

Both Matt and Eric have been great to work with and communication has been outstanding. Eric has let me do a custom layout. The layout will have a symmetrical look to it when finished. Also the XLR and 6.3mm outputs will be mounted on the front faceplate. Eric has really went out of his way to accommodate the Chameleon build.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124673380944?hash=item1d071cd250:g:Q1oAAOSwt8Nfcgyv

Attachments

• Chameleon Front and Rear Panels.JPG
    Chameleon Front and Rear Panels.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Chameleon Top Panel.JPG
    Chameleon Top Panel.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Progress with Chameleon.JPG
    Progress with Chameleon.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Top Plate Chameleon.JPG
    Top Plate Chameleon.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #413 of 9,892
It’s going to be a great amp Byrant. I’m sure you will be pleased. It’s going to be about 20 watts in UL mode.

This is the first time Eric has placed the headphone outputs in the front and also symmetrical layout. The best part of this are the Super Silk irons.

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #416 of 9,892
Jul 29, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #417 of 9,892
Here's a picture of the underside. You can see there is a second choke filter and the 2 I T (Interstage Transformers). All iron on topside are Silk Transformers. The output transformers are what's special about this amplifier. I did go with all Silk transformers on the topside so they'd match. The power transformer sits in-between the two output transformers and the topside choke filter is in front of the power transformer.

As Matt/@UntilThen said the best part of this amp is the Super Silk transformers. More specifically is the Super Silk output transformers, that's what gives the amp the ~20 watts output in UL mode.

Attachments

• Chameleon underside of top plate.JPG
    Chameleon underside of top plate.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Chameleon top plate on frame.JPG
    Chameleon top plate on frame.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 29, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #418 of 9,892
This is the Super Silk transformers. A higher grade from the Silk transformers. I'm just very curious to sample this amp as I'm sure the Super Silk transformers will perform wonderfully.

Of course the covers that comes with the Silk irons just make it very neat and nice.

Coincidentally, Odyssey and Chameleon will probably complete at the same time.

Jul 30, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #419 of 9,892
Here are the latest "official" pictures of Chameleon that Eric has taken. Some of the tubes are not fully seated in the sockets but then Eric is in his 70's and I now not as OCD to make sure to try and get that "perfect" picture as your or I might be. The most important aspect though, does the amp sing?

Here are Eric's words, "It takes shape, but couldn't sing. I shall do under chassis soldering to invite she to sing OK.. to sing powerfully, to sing beautifully.. : ))" Won't be long now until Chameleon is singing.

I have no doubt that Eric's a true craftsman when it comes to getting the most out of "valve amps". Here is what Eric had to say on his personal web site, "Me Eric, the McChanson – I've built valve amps since the 60s. Rich experience both in audio valve circuit and amp making."

I can't wait for Chameleon to be finished and Eric will have the initial listening experience to hear just what Chameleon is capable of. After that Matt/@UntilThen will have the opportunity to listen/enjoy, 2-4 weeks, and make sure Chameleon is ready for a long trip!!!

Attachments

• Chameleon Official Picture #1.JPG
    Chameleon Official Picture #1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Chameleon Official Picture #2.JPG
    Chameleon Official Picture #2.JPG
  • Chameleon Official Picture #3.JPG
    Chameleon Official Picture #3.JPG
  • Chameleon Official Picture #4.JPG
    Chameleon Official Picture #4.JPG
  • Chameleon Official Picture #5.JPG
    Chameleon Official Picture #5.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 30, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #420 of 9,892
Here are the latest "official" pictures of Chameleon that Eric has taken. Some of the tubes are not fully seated in the sockets but then Eric is in his 70's and I now not as OCD to make sure to try and get that "perfect" picture as your or I might be. The most important aspect though, does the amp sing?

Here are Eric's words, "It takes shape, but couldn't sing. I shall do under chassis soldering to invite she to sing OK.. to sing powerfully, to sing beautifully.. : ))" Won't be long now until Chameleon is singing.

I have no doubt that Eric's a true craftsman when it comes to getting the most out of "valve amps". Here is what Eric had to say on his personal web site, "Me Eric, the McChanson – I've built valve amps since the 60s. Rich experience both in audio valve circuit and amp making."

I can't wait for Chameleon to be finished and Eric will have the initial listening experience to hear just what Chameleon is capable of. After that Matt/@UntilThen will have the opportunity to listen/enjoy, 2-4 weeks, and make sure Chameleon is ready for a long trip!!!
Quick question about the Chameleon:
What are the 2 switches on top between the transformers, and what are the 2 holes on the back panel next to the speaker taps?
1627658371202.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back