Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jul 30, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #421 of 9,892
I believe those 2 switches are for 1) speakers on / off switch 2) triode / UL switch. What I'm not sure are the 2 switches in front and to the side of the output transformers.

Those 2 holes at the back panel .... not sure either. They could be pre-drilled holes meant for preamp? Guess we will ask Eric.

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #422 of 9,892
Those upgraded CMC tube sockets are very tight when new. I'd suggest using socket savers during the first few months of experimenting with tubes, especially the output tubes. You won't be changing the drivers and rectifier that much.

I'm curious about the weight of this amp. Eric did not mention.

Jul 30, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #423 of 9,892
Quick question about the Chameleon:
What are the 2 switches on top between the transformers, and what are the 2 holes on the back panel next to the speaker taps?
1627658371202.png

Zachik, sorry for the slow response but my work schedule is Wednesday - Friday 6pm - 6am and every other Saturday night. Just happened to be awake for ~30-45 minutes. The 2 switches between the transformers are for turning the speakers on/off. With the transformers not being side by side Eric had told me he would have to add a second on/off switch, exactly why I don't know, but he's the creator/builder. It does keep the symmetrical look. The 2 switches by the front outside corner of the output transformers would be for switching between UL/Triode mode, also keeping with the symmetrical look.

The 2 holes on the back panel next to the speaker taps actually has me wondering just what they are.....Gonna have to ask Eric and I'll let you know. They weren't there in the masking and drilling of the back panel. But they are there when the back panel hardware was put on.

Attachments

• Chameleon Front and Rear Panels.JPG
    Chameleon Front and Rear Panels.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Chameleon front and rear plates assembled.JPG
    Chameleon front and rear plates assembled.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 31, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #424 of 9,892
Zachik, sorry for the slow response
Don't worry about it :)

Thanks for the info - looking forward to read your and Matt's impressions!

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #425 of 9,892
A short while ago, I had on my desk Eric's own KT150 amp and my 300b amp. They are both stunning in their own ways. KT150 amp using KT88 is tighter and more revealing in high frequencies. Bass is tight and and the music is just more incisive and penetrating. 300b amp is incredible on the mids and bass. It's isn't lacking on high frequencies either. Just not as pronounced as the KT88. It was with a bit of sadness that I had to return Eric's amp because though my Elekit 8200 is very good, Eric's KT88 amp is just much more authoritative.

This Super Silk KT150 amp that is being build for Bryant is I'm sure a step above Eric's own KT150 amp. :)

The weeks ahead will be most interesting as I will probably have Odyssey and Chameleon side by side and there's also Destiny and Oblivion plus the Elekit 8200.

Jul 31, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #426 of 9,892
Zachik,

The chassis is one that Eric used to use in his builds but the chassis maker has retired and Eric has a new vendor for chassis'. The back panel came with 4 sets of RCA inputs and 1 pair of RCA outputs with the holes in the panel. This build does not have any RCA out so the 2 holes were filled in with a grommet cover. If you zoom in on the masking of the back panel you can see the 2 holes and the word OUT above them.

Aug 5, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #427 of 9,892
Today I received a pair of 6FD7 tubes with adapters from Eric. They can be used in place of 6EM7 as drivers in Eric's KT150 or 300b amps. I also learned that these are use in Woo Audio Wa6 and Wa6se 1st gen amps.

These 6FD7 Big Bottle will make your girl friend or wife sad because your hours spend listening to music will be much much longer. Guaranteed.

These are very slightly quieter than the 6EM7 with low impedance headphones on Destiny. These tubes were send to me for testing but I don't think Eric will get it back. :wink:

IMG_2808.jpg

It even match Destiny gold !!!
IMG_2810.jpg

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #428 of 9,892
Mr Eric send me more driver tubes to test with Destiny. That's my 300b amp. Didn't realise that there are different types of 6FD7 tubes. They all use the same adapters obviously. Skinny one and fatty ones. The skinny one with the El-Menco boxes are made in Japan, from the land of the rising sun. The Fat Boys in the middle picture (side getters) are Sylvanias. The Fat Boys on the right (top getters) are unknown.. Eric reckons it's RCA.

IMG_2848.jpg

I like the look of the Fat Boys and the tone is great too but boy oh boy, these skinny ones sure can do the cat walks. The tone is sweet like a nightingale. After 2 hours of swapping I have a slight preference with these skinny ones but they are all great sound signatures. If you're compulsive tube lovers, I suggest getting them all but.... Eric has more of other types to send to me. :ksc75smile:

IMG_2849.jpg

Jan 31, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #429 of 9,892
I haven't posted here for ages and I have not use Destiny (300b) for ages too. So now I power it on and it sounded great with my LCD4 and Axis VoiceBox S monitors.

Anyone still loving their McChanson's amps?

IMG_3891.jpg

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #430 of 9,892
Not as sexy looking as yours Matt, but still enjoying my Eri's amp using KT88 :)

20220201_142115.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #431 of 9,892
I haven't posted here for ages and I have not use Destiny (300b) for ages too. So now I power it on and it sounded great with my LCD4 and Axis VoiceBox S monitors.

Anyone still loving their McChanson's amps?

IMG_3891.jpg
Isn’t it fun to revisit an old amp (or headphone) friend in the rotation? Here’s to variety :beerchug: !!

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #432 of 9,892
Iron Man is still on top although I do tend more to iems straight out of the dap in the Oz summer

Had some heat problems , tubes were heating the transformers after about an hour running causing a strange upper frequency echo and farty bass
Socket savers and some home made heat shields got rid of the issue

After quite a bit of tube rolling I found a sweet set , great tone and zero noise

Had a flash vintage look badge made up by a guy on EBay

p10100262jpg.jpg

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #434 of 9,892
Good looking amp. That volume knob is made for turning.

Which amp configuration do you think I should ask Eric to put together for the most impact and microdetail? I want an amp that improves bass slam on my LCD 4s. He does ship to the US, right? Also, since I'm not planning on running speakers (my speakers are 84db, way too inefficient for this amp) do you know if he can just build the amp as just a headphone amp? Thanks for your plethora of pictures and impressions especially with the LCD-4 which is my end game headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #435 of 9,892
Which amp configuration do you think I should ask Eric to put together for the most impact and microdetail? I want an amp that improves bass slam on my LCD 4s. He does ship to the US, right? Also, since I'm not planning on running speakers (my speakers are 84db, way too inefficient for this amp) do you know if he can just build the amp as just a headphone amp? Thanks for your plethora of pictures and impressions especially with the LCD-4 which is my end game headphone.

Unfortunately Eric doesn't ship to USA. For impact and micro detail, I would recommend his KT150 amp which can also use KT88 and EL34.

300b amp are mid centric and lovely for vocals. This is the amp I had from Eric and it drives LCD4 very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back