Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Apr 13, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #9,601 of 9,894
Apr 13, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #9,603 of 9,894
I have neglected my Atrium Closed lately, but it sounds great on the UltimatE with the combination of GZ37, EL3N and 5A/152M. You see the modded Eikon next to it, even though half the price of AC, the modded Eikon has fuller sound, more separation and better images.

PXL_20240413_140847162 (2).jpg

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #9,604 of 9,894
I have seen a few people raving about how good the
ICON AUDIO

HP8 MkII headphone amplifier Signature version is with ZMF headphones, just wondering if anyone here has heard it with ZMF headphones and how it compares with their McChanson ? Have you heard it @Deleeh ?
IMG_2419.png

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #9,605 of 9,894
I have seen a few people raving about how good the
ICON AUDIO

HP8 MkII headphone amplifier Signature version is with ZMF headphones, just wondering if anyone here has heard it with ZMF headphones and how it compares with their McChanson ? Have you heard it @Deleeh ?IMG_2419.png

I was about to buy it last year.
I had been looking for something to replace or equal the Euforia for a long time.
When Matt introduced the Ultimate a year ago it ended up being what I was looking for, although I had others in mind.
I think the Icon is not bad as an amplifier.
There are a few things to know:
Personally, I don't like the different impedances because it limits the headphones or makes them seem bloated if you plug in low impedance headphones, for example.
Secondly, again personally, the 6SN7 story: Nos in particular have risen in price, especially since Corona.
A good pair is simply expensive and not necessarily economical as a user.even worse if you fall into the can hole.but there are still cheap ones so it's not like that.
3rd, the amplifier actually drives 300ohm headphones and others excellently, but in the end it is limited, especially for planar headphones, the He1000 should already be the end.
4th As far as I know, the amplifier can only drive 6SN7 and 12ax/AT7 Au7 should also work, but it is already getting darker in this direction.
There are 2 versions, the Signature is supposed to be equipped with Mundorf Sgo, the normal one with other caps.
Actually, it is a very good entry-level amplifier where nothing burns.
But for advanced players like us, who are perhaps still spoilt and like to roll tubes of different types, I don't think it meets the requirements.
In fact, we could have used more of Matt's 6AS7G amplifier, which is currently in prototype form.
@UntilThen by the way how much is the amp supposed to cost?

I would definitely recommend the Icon for newbies or those who want to try something different and keep things small, but not to people like us.
After more than 9 months of ownership, Ultimate is what I wanted and what fulfils me.
Every time I switch on the amplifier, I can actually switch my head off.
Some of us have gone through a long dry spell with Oblivon, Euforia and many more as amplifiers to realise this.
I am also sure that if I gave Eric 1000 us$ to build me an amplifier, he would build me something that is good and economical.
He has a wealth of experience to know what works and what doesn't.
I think he would build you the better Icon Audio Hp8,😁.

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #9,606 of 9,894
I was about to buy it last year.
I had been looking for something to replace or equal the Euforia for a long time.
When Matt introduced the Ultimate a year ago it ended up being what I was looking for, although I had others in mind.
I think the Icon is not bad as an amplifier.
There are a few things to know:
Personally, I don't like the different impedances because it limits the headphones or makes them seem bloated if you plug in low impedance headphones, for example.
Secondly, again personally, the 6SN7 story: Nos in particular have risen in price, especially since Corona.
A good pair is simply expensive and not necessarily economical as a user.even worse if you fall into the can hole.but there are still cheap ones so it's not like that.
3rd, the amplifier actually drives 300ohm headphones and others excellently, but in the end it is limited, especially for planar headphones, the He1000 should already be the end.
4th As far as I know, the amplifier can only drive 6SN7 and 12ax/AT7 Au7 should also work, but it is already getting darker in this direction.
There are 2 versions, the Signature is supposed to be equipped with Mundorf Sgo, the normal one with other caps.
Actually, it is a very good entry-level amplifier where nothing burns.
But for advanced players like us, who are perhaps still spoilt and like to roll tubes of different types, I don't think it meets the requirements.
In fact, we could have used more of Matt's 6AS7G amplifier, which is currently in prototype form.
@UntilThen by the way how much is the amp supposed to cost?

I would definitely recommend the Icon for newbies or those who want to try something different and keep things small, but not to people like us.
After more than 9 months of ownership, Ultimate is what I wanted and what fulfils me.
Every time I switch on the amplifier, I can actually switch my head off.
Some of us have gone through a long dry spell with Oblivon, Euforia and many more as amplifiers to realise this.
I am also sure that if I gave Eric 1000 us$ to build me an amplifier, he would build me something that is good and economical.
He has a wealth of experience to know what works and what doesn't.
I think he would build you the better Icon Audio Hp8,😁.
Ok , thanks
I love my UltimatE but I’m always curious when I read reviews about amps driving ZMF headphones with their high Impedance and I wonder what some of these reviewers would say if they compared them with an UltimatE 😝👍

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #9,607 of 9,894
The 6as7 amp is not a prototype. The design is the same as Ultimate. Only minor changes are made to handle 6as7 and 5998 with regards to voltage.

It should be $100 less than the Mini Ultimate and it use the same chassis.

So that’s AUD$1600.

There is a more expensive parallel 6as7 which @Dogmatrix has. See his posts here.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #9,608 of 9,894
Ok , thanks
I love my UltimatE but I’m always curious when I read reviews about amps driving ZMF headphones with their high Impedance and I wonder what some of these reviewers would say if they compared them with an UltimatE 😝👍
Check with @jonathan c . He has both Mini UltimatE and HP8 amp.

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #9,609 of 9,894
Ok , thanks

They would say that Ultimate is Ultimate.
To be honest, when I read all this about other amplifiers like Cayin, Icon, Feliks etc...
I go inside myself and realise that Ultimate is everything.
Of course I have to be rational and let people believe that one of these amplifiers is everything for them.
I think what brings Ultimate closer from a sonic point of view would be the Aegis,DNA and the Zmf Decware.
Aegis uses similar tubes as Ultimate and is also tube friendly.
However, you have to weigh up whether to build it yourself or buy the upcoming Zmf Aegis.

I switched tubes today.
Previously:EZ80 Telefunken,EL12N,6201 Tungsol.
After: EZ81 RFT,6L6 Y Rca,12At7 Tung Sol blackplate.
Both are very good, the new combination with the Ez81 RFT takes the dark tone out of the atrium with the 12AT7 Tung Sol.
The EZ 81 RFT also extends the sub-bass a good deal in the atrium and allows the treble range to shine through and finish a little better.
With the 6L6 Y Rca, the 12AT7 Tung sol has a clean, smooth midrange, which is also not quite as dark and thick and remains intimate enough.
It seems to me anyway that blackplates are somewhat lighter in tone than greyplates, which can sometimes help if the tone is too warm.
I think 6BW4 as a rectifier is a bit thicker for 6L6, the EZ80/81 fit together a bit better.
Because they are a little slimmer and brighter, and if it fits and the rectifiers are well assessed then it is a 100% match.
But you also have to know your driver tubes a bit for a good result.

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #9,613 of 9,894
When @Deleeh ask me questions about ALO Audio Studio Six which I had, I said hang on a minute. There is a better amp than Studio Six for much less. This was before he decided to get Ultimate. :relaxed:
Yes, it was just under a year ago when we talked about it.
And I haven't regretted it.😇😇😁😁😇😇
About the 6AS7G amplifier, which driver tubes are supported?
12ATxx7/6SN7/6SL7 and adapted 6J5?

Apr 14, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #9,614 of 9,894
About the 6AS7G amplifier, which driver tubes are supported?
12ATxx7/6SN7/6SL7 and adapted 6J5?

The same as Mini Ultimate.

There is a switch for 5998 and 6BX7 / 6BL7 and it sounds better with the switch on. Use 6as7 / 6080 with the switch off.

You can also have the 6as7 amp in Junior and Super chassis and also 5 volt rectifier. All layout is the same as Ultimate except there is only one power tube socket.

Apr 14, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #9,615 of 9,894
The same as Mini Ultimate.

There is a switch for 5998 and 6BX7 / 6BL7 and it sounds better with the switch on. Use 6as7 / 6080 with the switch off.

You can also have the 6as7 amp in Junior and Super chassis and also 5 volt rectifier. All layout is the same as Ultimate except there is only one power tube socket.

That sounds exciting.
Above all, you could use the driver tubes from the Ultimate.
It's also great that you only need one 6AS7G.
A better bottlehead crack, so to speak, hehe.
I'll give it some thought.
Thanks Matt,🙏🙏🙏🙏.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back