Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Apr 17, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #557 of 9,894
Apr 17, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #558 of 9,894
I see,
I didn't know that.
Maybe he forgot to mention it.
Well, the 6sl7 is still a lot better than the 6BX7 in comparison.

HAbe Eric just answered to see what comes back, but I'll talk to him again when he has answered.

Thanks for the tip.
I was full of ideas when I commissioned my McChanson tubes, layout etc
After some correspondence it was clear Erics' depth of knowledge is immense
So I just told him what I wanted from the amp and let him go
No regrets it is the best headfi purchase I ever made
I have a 6as7g parallel configured as a headphone amp

Apr 17, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #560 of 9,894
Hello,

Eric replied to me and suggested an interesting design which I agreed to.
We are still working out the details and subtleties.

Unfortunately, the 6AS7G no longer has a future.
I know them from the Feliks Euforia amplifier and if you want good Nos tubes like Gec,Western Electric you pay heavily.
Some 6080s still work but are also dying out.
I expect something similar. There are also some things that are lazily floating around on the market.
You have to be careful what you buy before you pull the trigger.
That's why I wanted to know what tubes will really still be around in 10 years.

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #561 of 9,894
In 10 years time, all that's left are GE tubes.

Jokes aside, you have to get your tubes now for your amp. When I had Odyssey made, one of the driver is using EL11. I bought about 7 pairs of various brand EL11. That ought to last me a lifetime and then some.

I don't know what is going to be around in 10 years time. Tubes will cost a lot more by then.

Eric experiment with tubes that are not sought after. That is good because you can still get them and they are cheap.

I too gave up my GEC 6as7g, Tung Sol 5998, Bendix 6080wb, GEC 6080 along with Wa22. It's gone. Not going to think about it. I live with other tubes now.

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #562 of 9,894
That's why I wanted to know what tubes will really still be around in 10 years.
So, which tubes is the amp going to use?

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #563 of 9,894
@UntilThen
I absolutely understand.
That's also okay somewhere.
I think we're getting into the area where opinions diverge, but there's still the possibility of rebuilding the amp if you have the expertise if a tube family is no longer available.
If I have understood correctly how versatile the transformers are now.
Personally I know it from the Euforia amplifier can also be used El 11 with adapter,but you have to search.
I searched for EL38 6 months ago and was able to find 2 pairs,it took some time and patience.

@Zachik

Everything so far boils down to 6v6 as output 1 6SN7/6SL7 driver and 5AR4 as rectifier.
But I'm still sorting that out with Eric.
Nothing is set in stone yet, but it's going there.
Sounds like a very good combination to me, also for Zmf headphones this could be something good I think.

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #565 of 9,894
I have here 4 tube amps from Eric. I am evaluating which one to get for my Grados and also HD800. Not so much Susvara.

So the amps are from left to right:-
  1. 6as7/5998 3w amp - uses good quality Russian K40y-9 PIO capacitors.
  2. 6y6g/6v6 3w amp - this is optimized for 6y6g and 6v6 tubes but will also run KT88 and EL34, etc. Uses good quality Russian K40y-9 PIO capacitors.
  3. 6ew7/6fd7 2w amp - Direct coupled - no caps.
  4. 6s3p 1w amp - ONE stage only, supposed to be simple and good. @Zachik will tell you more. He has the upgraded version.
The 2nd and 3rd have speaker outputs.

IMG_5931.jpg

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #566 of 9,894
6s3p 1w amp - ONE stage only, supposed to be simple and good. @Zachik will tell you more. He has the upgraded version.
My unit looks quite different (OPTs are inside the chassis for a much cleaner look). Also, mine is using other Russian tubes (6n6p).
Having said that, this amp is a TON of fun for IEMs and easy to drive headphones (e.g. Grados). VERY quiet - Eric has done an amazing job in keeping the noise floor inaudible. This amp is everything I hoped for, and then some!
Also, working with Eric has been such a pleasure - I am genuinely hoping to come up with an idea for amp that will be different enough to warrant another project with Eric :smile:

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #567 of 9,894
I am genuinely hoping to come up with an idea for amp that will be different enough to warrant another project with Eric

Working with Eric on an amp project is pure joy. So communicative and he knows his stuff. Best of all is the price. Won't drive your banker mad.

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #568 of 9,894
Working with Eric on an amp project is pure joy. So communicative and he knows his stuff. Best of all is the price. Won't drive your banker mad.
100% agreed on all accounts! Eric is an Aussie national treasure :)

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #570 of 9,894
Of the 4 amps, the 6y6g/6v6 is the quietest. With the notoriously super efficient Grado 325x, I hear nothing with no music playing. NADA ! It is that quiet. Super impressed.

Tonally I like the 6y6g, 6as7 and 6ew7 amps but the 6y6g has me hooked, line and sinker. :)

6y6g sound superb but to my surprise so did the Fivre 6v6g tubes that I was using. Eric said that this particular amp is optimized for the lower voltage requirement 6y6g but it is still running the higher voltage 6v6 so well. He told me that he will have a switch for high and low voltage so that will take care of 6v6, EL34 and KT88. I am not really concerned about using EL34 and KT88 in this amp. I have Odyssey for that.

So here is 12AT7 with RCA 6y6g tubes. This is great sounding with the Grado 325x and GH1.
IMG_5925.jpg

Changing over to GEC A2900 and Fivre 6v6g and the sound is just as amazing. Looks like I want this amp now but I have one more amp to compare with - the 6bx7 / 6BL7 amp. That will come next week.
IMG_5929.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back