Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #9,242 of 9,892
Hello,
congratulations from me first and welcome to the Ultimate family.🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳
Also very brave of you to go straight to C3G.
It's still something I'm holding back on my Junior.
Which capacitors did you have fitted?
Remember that they still need to be broken in and will actually open properly after 200 hours plus.
Until then, there may be small dips where it can get a bit strange.
The new tubes also need a certain amount of time to break in.
So the bottom line is that everything gets better with time.
Personally, I used the time until the capacitors broke in to let the tubes play in at the same time.
I only really got to know Ultimate after 5-6 months.

At the moment I'm still listening to EL32 Mullard with the 5751 Tungsol (NoS) from Ez81 Nec, but I've switched to 6bw4 Sylvania.
With the Atrium it got too warm for me over time, but with the Auteur just right.
I will try another rectifier with Atrium.
But first I have to check what I have in my aresenal.
That's interesting that you find UltimatE to warm with your AO , I haven't found that at all , everyone has different tastes I suppose . Ive been rolling through a lot of tubes lately but I keep coming back to the 807 type , I have about 5 different kinds now , love them , especially with C3G as drivers
IMG_2394.jpeg
IMG_2393.jpeg
IMG_2386.jpeg
IMG_2382.jpeg

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #9,243 of 9,892
It sounds wonderful, very clear, dynamic and very neutral. The sound stage opened up and bass hit hard. Mullard 5V4G, Amperex EL38 and C3G.

PXL_20240326_233250183 (2).jpg
Congrats and welcome to UltimatE musical appreciation. That is a gorgeous amp.!

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #9,245 of 9,892
The replacement Philips EL38 arrived and in great condition. Plug it in and it sounds beautiful. A big shout out to jmg744 on ebay, the seller. Prompt communication and replacement without fuss. Highly recommended. Buy with confidence.

Trading company is Colomor Electronics Ltd.

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #9,246 of 9,892
Here are the first few impressions. I really had a wonderful time today. I tried to roll as many tubes as I could. All are EL 34 tubes, Tesla Blue Cobalt, smooth, clear and beautiful vocals. Matsushita gets everything, neutral and very balanced. The GE fat bottle vocal is a bit of recess and the Tesla clear bottle is quite bright.

Rectifier is Mullard GZ32 and is much more dynamic and has a better sound stage than Mullard 5V4G. The driver is an Amperex ECC 88 medical red tip, an outstanding tube.

PXL_20240327_225908256.NIGHT (2).jpg
PXL_20240327_221751301 (2).jpg
PXL_20240327_225115372 (2).jpg
PXL_20240327_224018317 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #9,249 of 9,892
@VanHai having a great time I suppose? :wink: They are all good tubes there. Favourite combo or your just sampling them quickly?

Meanwhile I have the Super Silver SupremE here with me and have just started listening.
I am having a great time Matt. Just sampling each set 3 or 4 songs, so many tubes left to go through. I also compare the UltimatE with DNA Sonett 2 and Ultrasonic Studios Oblivion. You will not believe it, there are a few sets of tubes that sound almost identical to Sonett 2 and Oblivion, i would not hear the differences if I was blindfolded. I give the UltimatE the nickname Chameleon amp.:L3000::beyersmile:

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #9,250 of 9,892
I am having a great time Matt. Just sampling each set 3 or 4 songs, so many tubes left to go through. I also compare the UltimatE with DNA Sonett 2 and Ultrasonic Studios Oblivion. You will not believe it, there are a few sets of tubes that sound almost identical to Sonet 2 and Oblivion, i would not hear the differences if I was blindfolded. I give the UltimatE the nickname Chameleon amp.:L3000::beyersmile:

Give it time, you will hear the differences. I also thought that Odyssey and Ultimate sounded similar initially.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #9,251 of 9,892
I wasn't going to post any impressions on this Super Silver SupremE until after Easter but thought I should say something otherwise Bryant will be twiddling his thumbs.

First the specs for those of you interested in this AUD$4000 amp minus the 2 caps. The caps are additional and are supplied by Bryant. You can opt for cheaper caps like Mundorf and Miflex or russian K40Y-P. :)

SuperSilver SupremE (Silver Chassis)
SilkE output transformers
2nd choke transformer
Preamp out
Test Points (black and white)
2 x RCA and 1 x XLR input plus selector switch
Speakers output and speaker on/off switch
Silver Switchcraft 1/4" headphone output
Silver Neutrik XLR headphone output (Same as what you used on Mordy's and Lory's UltimatE)
Upgraded Teflon sockets, RCA inputs, ALPS Blue Velvet volume pot
Using 5 volt rectifier with additional filament power supply
Drivers now allocated 2.5A
6SN7 / 6SL7 base socket
2 x 6J5 base sockets
Jupiter Copperfoil Paper and Wax and VCAP CuTF
Switch for driver input select
Switch for dual caps select
Mundorf Supreme Silver solder
On/Off button (with blue ring LED)

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #9,252 of 9,892
I have been listening for 4 hours. I know that's not enough but these are initial first impressions. I had listen to a Super Black SupremE many months ago but somehow this seems more dynamic, alive and kicking. It's got my attention on first listen with the Raytheon 45 tubes. One of them is an RCA but the construction seems similar. I chose to listen with the VCAP Cutf first. The sound is very transparent and airy. The drivers are Siemens c3g or GE 6SL7gt chrome plates. The 45 tubes is a beautiful, audiophile sound signature, oozing clarity and sweet treble extensions.

I switch to the EH 300b used tubes and bass is now voluptuous and in greater quantity. With either c3g or 6sl7 as driver and a Tung Sol 5AR4 rectifier, I am now getting all the details and an infectious midrange that the 300b is famous for and bass that will move your chest.

I test with all 3 of my headphones. With the 45 tubes, Grado GH1, HD800 and Susvara are totally silent. Using the EH 300b tubes, a very very soft hum is heard with the sensitive Grado but the other 2 headphones are totally silent. I'm happy. That good enough for me. I haven't try 2a3 tubes yet.

IMG_9045.jpg

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #9,253 of 9,892
I have been listening for 4 hours. I know that's not enough but these are initial first impressions. I had listen to a Super Black SupremE many months ago but somehow this seems more dynamic, alive and kicking. It's got my attention on first listen with the Raytheon 45 tubes. One of them is an RCA but the construction seems similar. I chose to listen with the VCAP Cutf first. The sound is very transparent and airy. The drivers are Siemens c3g or GE 6SL7gt chrome plates. The 45 tubes is a beautiful, audiophile sound signature, oozing clarity and sweet treble extensions.

I switch to the EH 300b used tubes and bass is now voluptuous and in greater quantity. With either c3g or 6sl7 as driver and a Tung Sol 5AR4 rectifier, I am now getting all the details and an infectious midrange that the 300b is famous for and bass that will move your chest.

I test with all 3 of my headphones. With the 45 tubes, Grado GH1, HD800 and Susvara are totally silent. Using the EH 300b tubes, a very very soft hum is heard with the sensitive Grado but the other 2 headphones are totally silent. I'm happy. That good enough for me. I haven't try 2a3 tubes yet.

IMG_9045.jpg
Very nice , I want one too , the ability to run 300b and 45 tube is awesome

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #9,255 of 9,892
I want one too. :dt880smile: That VCAP Cutf is awesome. It's not just transparent. It's full bodied too and wide soundstage. This is a classy cap.
Eric is a very funny person. I inquired about Bryant's Super SupremE the other day and also want one before he retires and this is what he said.

"Bryant's SuperSilver SupremE is a few hundred dollars more expensive... Your woman couldn't allow you to have another one so soon... five years later perhaps? But see how Matt reports first.... : ))":laughing::grin::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back