Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Oct 2, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #511 of 9,892
Which of his amps would represent the best value in the lineup?

I was looking at the micro chassis amps as they are more desktop friendly but if the mini chassis amps are better, I'd sacrifice the space for it.

These are the amps...

(1) Micro 6EW7 / 6FD7 ( 6DR7, 6BW4 rectifier ) - compatible 6FD7, 6EW7, 6DE7, rectifier 6V4, EZ80, EZ81.
(2) Micro 6S45P ( 6S45P, 6BW4 rectifier) - one stage only.
(3) Mini 6As7 ( 6AS7, 6SL7, 6BW4 rectifier) - compatible 5998
(4) Mini 6BX7 parallel (2 x 6BX7, 6SL7 - 6BW4 rectifier ) - In addition to 6SL7 the driver tube can be 12AV7, 12AT7 or even 12AX7 with tube socket converter adapter.

(2) has limited power and is suitable only for efficient headphones or IEMs.

That leaves 1, 3 and 4.

Personally I prefer 4 the most, followed closely by 1 and 3.

If a small footprint appeals to you then the choice is obviously 1. Surprisingly 1 and 4 are the most powerful. With 3, I prefer to use Tung Sol 5998 but that is an expensive tube to get now, if you can find one in good condition. You can use 6AS7g though but not as dynamic.

Oct 2, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #512 of 9,892
These are the amps...

That leaves 1, 3 and 4.

Personally I prefer 4 the most, followed closely by 1 and 3.

If a small footprint appeals to you then the choice is obviously 1. Surprisingly 1 and 4 are the most powerful. With 3, I prefer to use Tung Sol 5998 but that is an expensive tube to get now, if you can find one in good condition. You can use 6AS7g though but not as dynamic.
As much as I would like #4, on second thought, its just too big for my desk.

I'll probably go with #1.

I'm new to tube amps, the only tube amp I've had is the loxjie p20.

"Upgrade Option : If one wishes to play both 6EW7 / 6FD7, the upgrade is to add a select toggle between the tubes, and with a pair of the additional tubes, for $150.

This is a high quality twp - stage in direct coupling without capacitor in the signal path."

Its unclear what he means by the toggle, do you know how this works?

Also what is a twp?

Thanks.

Oct 2, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #513 of 9,892
As much as I would like #4, on second thought, its just too big for my desk.

I'll probably go with #1.

I'm new to tube amps, the only tube amp I've had is the loxjie p20.

"Upgrade Option : If one wishes to play both 6EW7 / 6FD7, the upgrade is to add a select toggle between the tubes, and with a pair of the additional tubes, for $150.

This is a high quality twp - stage in direct coupling without capacitor in the signal path."

Its unclear what he means by the toggle, do you know how this works?

Also what is a twp?

Thanks.

The switch allows the amp to use both 6FD7 or 6EW7. The latter has a lower voltage but sound sweeter to my ears. 6FD7 is slightly more powerful though but you won't find 6EW7 power lacking.

It's worth having that switch and for Eric to provide you with both 6FD7 and 6EW7 tubes. You can tube roll then. :wink:

Not quite sure what twp means. Best to ask Eric.

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #514 of 9,892
Let me chime in and add my thoughts. I have an experience with an amp that Eric built for me. It is a twist on this one:

(2) Micro 6S45P ( 6S45P, 6BW4 rectifier) - one stage only.

Specifically, when contacting Eric, I wanted an amp that is optimized for IEMs (and easy to drive headphones). My goal for the amp was to be dead-silent (no noise floor or hum), sacrificing power in the process. Unlike the amp that @UntilThen is describing above - mine has several changes:
a. My amp can use 2 x 6S45P tubes or 1 x 6N6P tube. There is a switch to select (on the back). Unused tubes are not being powered so no wear and tear when unused.
b. Eric added a 2nd 1/4" headphone jack with attenuated output. Was his idea in case some IEMs are so sensitive that I might still get some hiss or hum through the "full power" headphone jack.
c. Output transformers and choke are internal, so the amp looks VERY clean with only power transformer on top (plus the tubes, of course).

Here are some photos I just took: (with my phone. Nothing fancy or artistic)
1664825667295.png

1664825711014.png

Apologies for the dust - amazing how the camera sees stuff that my naked eye do not... :scream:
I have several custom built tube amps from different amp builders and I can say with confidence that not only Eric is a pleasure to deal with, but also his built times are significantly shorter than other builders!!! (being retired and not having a full time job helps Eric, I assume :laughing:)

I will gladly answer any questions.

Oct 3, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #515 of 9,892
Apologies for the dust - amazing how the camera sees stuff that my naked eye do not... :scream:
I have several custom built tube amps from different amp builders and I can say with confidence that not only Eric is a pleasure to deal with, but also his built times are significantly shorter than other builders!!! (being retired and not having a full time job helps Eric, I assume :laughing:)

I will gladly answer any questions.

How does your McChanson amp compare to other amps from other builders?

Eric has been a nice new found friend for me over the years.

Oct 3, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #516 of 9,892
How does your McChanson amp compare to other amps from other builders?
Eric's amp is by far the quietest, but important to keep in mind it is the only 1-stage amp and has the least power. That amp was optimized for IEMs and easy to drive headphones!
In terms of craftmanship - I think Eric is on the same level as Glenn (who is not building amps anymore).
Still waiting for my amp from 1101 Audio, so cannot compare to his craftmanship.

Oct 5, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #517 of 9,892
I haven't written on here for a while as nothing much to say but just got a new DAC "Chord Qutest" and WOW made a massive difference with my ( Destiney2 300b Amp ) by Eric, I was using a Questyle CMA12 as a DAC so the Qutest was a huge up-grade, Way more Detail, soundstage, Way smoother & better SQ overall, I've Got a few HP's but mostly listening to my new Meze-Empyrean's, Here's a pic of my 300b Erics Amp at Untilthen's house before Covid hit, Have a SparkoS-Aries on the way too can't wait for that to arrive as it's meant to be exceptional especially paired with the Qutest .

Attachments

• 244504542_398252175090436_971532820048216811_n.png
    244504542_398252175090436_971532820048216811_n.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 5, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #520 of 9,892
Its amazing the difference in SQ from a decent DAC eh!
Yeah, it does man and everyone hears differently too :) great to hear that you found something you love

will never sell Destiny-2 for the $$ you can't beat it..
Yeah same here my Eric's KT88 amp will never be sold :)

Oct 5, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #523 of 9,892
Hey xtiva,
What DAC do you have now I seen you climbed the SS Amp ladder quite a bit with the Enleum AMP-23R nice.
Yeah had few DACs, like yourself... but now settled on Aqua La Voce.. awesome detail retrieval yet non fatiguing or sterile .. had Denafrips Terminator before Aqua but for me I tend to prefer Aqua...

Think amp, dac is done for now.. :)

you make your own cables now good work mate
Yeah still beginer.. not level of your skill but one day will get there hehehe

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #524 of 9,892
@UntilThen

How does the 6ew7 amp compare to the feliks audio amps?

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #525 of 9,892
@UntilThen

How does the 6ew7 amp compare to the feliks audio amps?
From what I recall (until you get to the high end Feliks stuff) they are a touch more cleaner and detailed. I personally roll in warm tubes no matter what amp I use so my Mini sounds exceptional on both my LCD-4 and mainly nowadays on my speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back