Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jul 9, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #3,826 of 9,894
Hello Bryant, I guess you can ask Eric how hard it would be to add preamp now that the amp is built. Having to drill 2 more holes now that everything is soldered might be a bit of problem but no harm asking Eric if you like it so much. It might disturb his schedule though. :)

Looks like the tubes have taken over your bed ! And that is one chuncky copper cable for Susvara ! Chameleon would be quiet with Susvara but unfortunately it will be brutal with sensitive headphones. It is really a very capable stereo tube amp of 20w calibre. That amp is a keeper.

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #3,827 of 9,894
Eric will be making mine and I will be making yours. So it will be together !
Hmmm.... The perfect amp to gift @bcowen for pairing with his favorite GE tubes... :unamused:

Did you want silver knobs with your black chassis? It will look great !
Nah. Black knobs for me.

I think Eric told me the copper strip helps shield the power transformer. It would be unwise to remove it.
To clarify, my previous amps that were all black (Super Micro 6S15P and WhispEr) - still had the shielding strip, but Eric painted it black.
My UltimatE will keep it in its copper natural color, to add a splash of color to the all-black amp.

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #3,828 of 9,894
I just spoke to Eric yesterday afternoon and ask him if he is taking in anymore new orders or is he hanging up his boots and going fishing for good. He said after a week, he is ready to take new orders again. That is good news. Ultimate needs to live on for a while.

It has been very encouraging getting feedback from owners of Ultimate so far. @Leicachamp , @Nick Ryan and @dougms3 have all reported that they love the sound. That is of primary importance. A tube amp has to sound good first and foremost. Everything else is secondary.

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #3,829 of 9,894
Eric told me

During your holidays, I shall do yours and Zachi's. when you return you will have two ( twins? ) amps to audition...

If the 2 amps are identical, how do I know which is mine? Zachi, what is your LED colour? Not red I hope.
Actually, my LED is red too :laughing:
But the XLR inputs might provide a hint... :wink: (mine only got 2 RCA inputs)

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #3,830 of 9,894
A list I've been using since 2016. I know the songs well. The playlist I created on Tidal.

IMG_6771.jpg
I see Diana Krall in your list... I am going to see her live in exactly 1 week from today, performing at my favorite venue!!
I saw her husband 5 or 6 weeks ago live. Funny coincidence. I just hope she performs better... He was terrible - some people do not know when it's time to retire :disappointed:

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #3,831 of 9,894
Trying the EL3N again. Last time I tried they were noisy.

Matt suggested I try them again, but this time make sure the tubes are inserted securely.

Well good news is that it worked. These EL3N are now quiet. Except when warming up. The tubes make a lot of crackling noises as it’s glass warms up.

Quite scary at first for I never had any other power tubes make this noise.

As for the sound. Even with only 30mins burn in, I can tell this tube is going to be a keeper .

Thanks Matt for the recommendation and also for telling me to try the tubes again after resetting the tubes into its adapters.

Such rich and powerful tone!!!
I own a dedicate amp by Glenn designed for EL3N tubes! Amp uses 2 for drivers and 4 for output. Totally agree their tone is unique and rich. Love that amp!!
My amp also crackles for a few minutes while tubes warm up. Totally normal for EL3N tubes. I just turn it on (without headphones plugged in), and let it be for 5-10 minutes before even bothering to plug headphones and start the party going...

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #3,832 of 9,894
Actually, my LED is red too :laughing:
But the XLR inputs might provide a hint... :wink: (mine only got 2 RCA inputs)

Thank God there is a difference. :) Also our caps are different but we can't see that without opening up the chassis. Maybe I should have a name plaque made that says UntilThen. :)

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #3,833 of 9,894
I see Diana Krall in your list... I am going to see her live in exactly 1 week from today, performing at my favorite venue!!
I saw her husband 5 or 6 weeks ago live. Funny coincidence. I just hope she performs better... He was terrible - some people do not know when it's time to retire :disappointed:

Oh her husband is Elvis Costello. I didn't know that. I thought it's Bcowen you're talking about - He was terrible - some people do not know when it's time to retire. :dt880smile:

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #3,834 of 9,894
I own a dedicate amp by Glenn designed for EL3N tubes! Amp uses 2 for drivers and 4 for output. Totally agree their tone is unique and rich. Love that amp!!
My amp also crackles for a few minutes while tubes warm up. Totally normal for EL3N tubes. I just turn it on (without headphones plugged in), and let it be for 5-10 minutes before even bothering to plug headphones and start the party going...

That EL3N amp by Glenn is a collector's item now. Someday Ultimate will also be collector's items. :)

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #3,835 of 9,894
Oh her husband is Elvis Costello. I didn't know that. I thought it's Bcowen you're talking about - He was terrible - some people do not know when it's time to retire. :dt880smile:
When it comes to playing musical instruments, I've always been terrible. Age has nothing to do with it. 🤣

I'm busy looking at seats for November 2. The Eagles....and Steely Dan together. The fact that the arena where they are playing is only 30 minutes from my house is a big plus. Tickets don't go on sale for another couple days, but I'm guessing they'll be in the "if you have to ask" price range 'cause I want to be in Section 2.

1688924467160.png

Jul 9, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #3,836 of 9,894
Thank God there is a difference. :) Also our caps are different but we can't see that without opening up the chassis. Maybe I should have a name plaque made that says UntilThen. :)
...or maybe a plaque that says "Until next week" :laughing:

Jul 9, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #3,837 of 9,894
Oh her husband is Elvis Costello. I didn't know that. I thought it's Bcowen you're talking about - He was terrible - some people do not know when it's time to retire***. :dt880smile:
*** a Fotonopolist does not retire, he just rolls from vintage to vintage … 🥱

Jul 9, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #3,838 of 9,894
Jul 9, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #3,839 of 9,894
It shouldn't be that hard to tell them apart. @UntilThen 's will be upside down, right? 🤣
• ‘Amplifiering’ is meaningless until this is addressed:
• bcowen, jonathan c, mordy, zachik ….
FA5E3E7C-FFE9-4862-8301-A87E539CCB74.jpeg

• untilthen ….
091ECE29-8166-4E3B-8069-9B0616D90194.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back