Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
May 4, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #196 of 9,894
The main reason is because the front plate is much thicker and you need good drills to do that without damaging it. Eric chose not to risk it. Tomas is very good with that as well as some other builders, so it’s up to individual builders how they want to approach the build.

With just the 2 headphones output and the speakers on/off switch on the top chassis, that is acceptable for me. All the connectors are behind so that’s not a problem.

One advantage of Destiny is that the front looks smart and clean. I like that.
Plus i think you need CNC machine to cut into the metal as it is too thick to mount volume and input selector....

May 4, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #197 of 9,894
Just put down my deposit

The amp is as described on eBay :

but with these changes : No speaker outs, Two RCA inputs ( one with attenuation ), No selector, high profile chassis (430mmW, 370mmD), with black front panel ( see picture ) with matching volume knob, with ONE 1/4" headphone Jack out .Double filter chokes, and, A pair of I T ( Interstage Transformer ) to replace the coupling cap, upgrade hardware ( RCA, tube sockets, volume pot ).

I think I am next after @Yetiman72 . I have gone back to 6as7 and a dedicated headphone version with no input selector .

This is the front panel pick .

DSCN9096.JPG.jpg
WOW congrats!!!! 6AS7is what I would love to get if i can save enough next year :)

May 4, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #198 of 9,894
I think these asymmetrical driver tubes Eric has found are the secret sauce in his recipe along with the heavy use of transformers . His many years of refining these designs probably doesn't hurt either . Once I saw the 4 Ohm output impedance which makes the amps compatible with a wide range of headphones and Eric's flexibility demonstrated in the Destiny build , I was hooked .

May 4, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #199 of 9,894
This KT88 amp will be a real challenger to Destiny. Switching from KT150 to KT88 seem to tighten up tones and it’s super engaging.

If Odyssey is not in the making, I would seriously consider getting this as my 2nd amp. This is using it via the speakers tap.

‘That’s the way it is’ by Mr Collins. Makes my LCD4 sound even better !

In the meantime, Eric told me that Destiny is ready. I will go back and get it so I can a/b these 2 amps tomorrow. Seriously fun. Most excitement I have had since the start of this audio journey.

Svetlana KT88 in the power slots.
13F9C20F-E22E-40E9-A573-F4ABF3E694F4.jpeg

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #200 of 9,894
Winding down at day’s end with Shugang KT88 50 years treasures and Mullard GZ34 metal base.

A copy of acoustic love songs and the Shugang is mellow and more relax than the Svetlana. Perfect to wind down the day.

This amp is great for not too aggressive tube rolling because you’re only rolling power tubes - which is good.

Surprisingly this amp is quiet even with my He1000se and the tone is really good.

FB749DD5-7E18-4EDB-95CB-A8F55FFE2322.jpeg

May 4, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #201 of 9,894
Winding down at day’s end with Shugang KT88 50 years treasures and Mullard GZ34 metal base.

A copy of acoustic love songs and the Shugang is mellow and more relax than the Svetlana. Perfect to wind down the day.

This amp is great for not too aggressive tube rolling because you’re only rolling power tubes - which is good.

Surprisingly this amp is quiet even with my He1000se and the tone is really good.

FB749DD5-7E18-4EDB-95CB-A8F55FFE2322.jpeg
Don't you have some NOS (as in 50's/60's) GEC KT-77's? Being serious....thought you'd mentioned that a while back or maybe I'm thinking of something else. May be best if you don't have any...put those in and Eric may never get his amp back. :laughing:

May 4, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #202 of 9,894
Why is the headphone jacks on the top instead of the front panel?!
I can see how that could work well if the amp is placed on the floor, but otherwise - front panel is more convenient (IMHO)...
Quit whining...at least it's not on the bottom. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

May 4, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #203 of 9,894
Plus i think you need CNC machine to cut into the metal as it is too thick to mount volume and input selector....
Those thick front panels are usually made of aluminum. Normal drill, working slowly, will drill it just fine. No need for a CNC...
Also, when Eric orders them - he could ask whoever makes them to add 3rd and 4th holes for the headphone jacks. After all, they already made the first 2 holes for the volume pot and power switch :wink: Just saying...

May 4, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #204 of 9,894
A few things I need to get straight here. First of all, I am just giving impressions of what I hear with McChanson amps. I am not here trying to promote or drum up sales for Eric.... for a few reasons.

Number one: Eric is in his retirement years. All the years of hard work is past. He does not and desires not to have huge volume orders. I think most boutique tube amp builders can’t handle large volume without changing their business model. Then you lose the personal touch.

Number two: You have to accept the appearance of McChanson’s amps as it is unless you want to source your own chassis and parts. Get that ship to him and discuss all the details with him and he might. As I said, he is in his retirement years, the years when he should be taking it easy and enjoying music with his own creation. He does not need and will not drill the front panels or seek out suppliers to provide more customised chassis.

Lastly, McChanson’s amp are priced so low it will make other amps look ridiculously priced. The sound quality is definitely there but there is a trade off for the low price. The looks are rather basic and if you can accept that then you have a potent speakers and headphones amp to drive any headphones and high efficiency speakers on the market.

Now let me get on with my tube rolling fun on this very versatile KT150 amp that also accepts KT88, KT77, KT66, EL34, 6L6GC, 6L6, 6L6G, 6L6GA.... yes all of 6L6 families. Not many amps can accept all of 6L6 family.

May 4, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #205 of 9,894
So back to KT88... the plan is to buy the GEC KT88 but it’s still on the back burner because at $1100, I have to juggle my priorities on that or a better pair of 300b tubes. I am no Bill Gates so I can’t just buy everything NOS at one go without baiting my eyes. 😉

I am usually a snob when it comes to tubes and by that I mean I love NOS tubes because it’s common knowledge that NOS is better, more expensive, more prestige and every Tom, Dick and Harry will just parrot 🦜 that. 😙

So when my good friend abandon his Ampandsound Bigger Ben for Auris Nirvana and ask if I wanted to buy his Psvane and Shugang KT88 cheap, I told myself why not. Here is an opportunity for me to get off my high horse and get down to common man status and sample the ‘farmers’ tubes and then compare it to the ‘aristocratic’ NOS tubes.

That leads me to this point trying out various KT88 and so far after Svetlana and Shugang KT88, I’m actually pretty impressed. These are musical tubes.

Stay tuned because there’s Psvane and Gold Lion KT88 to go before I get to EL34, 6550, KT66, 6L6, 807, EL12 spez.

So if you are adverse to such tube rolling then I would suggest you don’t have to because any of these tubes so far have been pretty amazing with this under $2000 Aussie dollars tube amp for speakers and headphones.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #206 of 9,894
This is a closer up picture of the Shugang KT88 50 years treasures - a pretty fancy name. Cost me only $109, half the price of a new pair and my friend has hardly burn it in.

Let me tell you that at $109 a pair for this, you’ll be giggling your way to retirement because it does sound like a 50 years treasure. In fact I think the SQ is good enough to be King Tut’s tubes from Egypt !

DC4D6591-6170-44C0-809C-A722A4B0E284.jpeg

May 4, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #208 of 9,894
Will you get also a KTxyz .... 6L6 from Eric or just to get a taste of the Odyssey ?
The paint is nice and should be a real pleasure to test with the headphone cable.
// If you have 4/8 Ohm output you even have a way to use High/Low Z on dedicated tap !

May 4, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #209 of 9,894
If I will bet that you will have 4 amplifiers soon I guess I'll get rich to buy that pair of LCD-4. Not sure if anyone would bet against me. :D

Hmm I think you will lose your bet because when Odyssey comes my eyes and ears will be open so wide that I won’t need another amp beside Odyssey and Destiny.

But if Eric wants to sell me this personal KT150 amp of his I will buy it because I can use RCA 6L6 and I will talk about this steel tube later because it is Superman’s secret tubes.

Look at how gorgeous the KT150 is and it even sound great with the LCD4 !

8E3D4DD4-7DFA-4D44-8A96-7C0C1A7731A1.jpeg

May 4, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #210 of 9,894
If I will bet that you will have 4 amplifiers soon I guess I'll get rich to buy that pair of LCD-4. Not sure if anyone would bet against me. :D
Heddphone is also a good alternative to LCD/Hifiman. I've tested in the past those Ergos headphone using AMT system very good with classic music. (ancestor of Hedd system)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back