Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jun 4, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #1,726 of 9,894
I remove the Fonon 6F6M1 metal base in preparation for returning it to Eric tomorrow and replace it with RCA 6W6gt and was rather surprised that it sound just as good.

I have a feeling that I prefer the 'gt' version more than the 'g' version. I.e the smaller tube vs the bigger tube. The gt version has a tighter tone.

Jun 4, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #1,727 of 9,894
I'm returning the silver Ultimate to Eric tomorrow because I find it a distraction having 2 Ultimates here. :) I keep plugging my headphones from one amp to the other. I just want one amp to enjoy music.

So returning the silver Ultimate tomorrow and I will enjoy my own Ultimate. :)

Jun 4, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #1,728 of 9,894
To expand on this...

I'm in discussion with Eric on the future of wooden chassis. Have the orientation the same as Nick's golden Ultimate, pre drilled holes for power button, volume, input selector, 1/4" and xlr in front. Behind the back panel, there will be pre drilled slots for the IEC power, speaker outputs, 2 sets of rca and 1 set of xlr inputs (3rd set of rca input if xlr is not chosen)

How soon this will happen? Don't know. It's at the planning stage.
This is certainly also a neat arrangement and from above it would not look cluttered.

Where I have concerns is that the width of the wood at the front and back could cause problems that the Rca,XLR,speaker,headphone jacks will not fit to be soldered directly.
For Eric it will probably mean a bit more work.

I would still want to have the volume control on top of the panel if it doesn't cause any problems.
Visually it would be cool if the knob was made of wood.
(decware offers it for example)

Vu meters are also cool, of course, but that's not necessarily welcome in the signal pawnshop and involves extra work.

Jun 4, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #1,729 of 9,894
Visually it would be cool if the knob was made of wood.

Vu meters are also cool, of course

Haha I don't think that's going to happen. Let's not try to add anything that would not contribute to the SQ of the amp. In fact on further discussions with Eric, having customised pre drilled wooden chassis will add to the cost. This will be the cost charged by the supplier. The only recourse is for Eric to drill into the wood himself and for that he will need a bench drill, a garage and proper drilling equipment. All these will add more work / time and cost to the amp.

I think we should just keep it simple stupid KISS and keep the cost low and spend the money on where it matters. :wink:

Jun 4, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #1,730 of 9,894
Haha I don't think that's going to happen. Let's not try to add anything that would not contribute to the SQ of the amp. In fact on further discussions with Eric, having customised pre drilled wooden chassis will add to the cost. This will be the cost charged by the supplier. The only recourse is for Eric to drill into the wood himself and for that he will need a bench drill, a garage and proper drilling equipment. All these will add more work / time and cost to the amp.

I think we should just keep it simple stupid KISS and keep the cost low and spend the money on where it matters. :wink:
Another way would be an inset alloy panel rebated into the front wood then all the knobs could still be done by Eric, costs may be similar as paying extra for wood to be rebated but offset by smaller aluminium panel? Just a thought, especially in gold against the wood .

Jun 4, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,731 of 9,894
Another way would be an inset alloy panel rebated into the front wood then all the knobs could still be done by Eric, costs may be similar as paying extra for wood to be rebated but offset by smaller aluminium panel? Just a thought, especially in gold against the wood .

Any customised wood work wouldn't be cheap and you have to order a minimum of 10, similar to your golden chassis. Even the present wooden chassis cost $300.

I love how the wooden chassis looks and I don't mind the top panel layout.

IMG_6377.jpg

Jun 4, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #1,733 of 9,894

So you're saying a wood chassis like this would add to the cost? Dang it. I was just getting ready to order one. 🤣

1685886121312.png

Jun 4, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #1,735 of 9,894

I think we should just keep it simple stupid KISS and keep the cost low and spend the money on where it matters.*** :wink:
*** Tubes, tubes, and more tubes! Oh 😒, you’ve already done this, bcowen …

Jun 4, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #1,737 of 9,894
Jun 4, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #1,739 of 9,894

I think we should just keep it simple stupid KISS and keep the cost low and spend the money on where it matters. :zwinkern:
Yes, you are probably right.
Which would be really cool.
A McChanson Diy Tube Headphones amp Kit.
I would most likely buy that.

There may always be better components to improve Eric's amp.
But I think that Eric has already made something that is very different from the industrial one and also offers more flexibility.
You said yourself that your 300b from Eric gave the $6000 basic Envy nothing to complain about.
From a price point of view, if I were to go the 300b route and Eric could still build amps, I would buy one from him.

Better components don't always automatically mean better, it can also have the opposite effect on the sound.
Necessary no, desirable yes?
The goal would be to know where it should go to get it there, I think.

I think you are well served with all the upgrades that Eric offers where desired and implemented.
And you have a very good amplifier that stands out from the rest.
In terms of transformers, there may be room for improvement, but perhaps not necessary.
I really can't judge the latter.

Jun 4, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #1,740 of 9,894
I'm not buying any more tubes.
A) … since I don’t know what a “more tube” is, I’ll just keep buying tubes 😕.
B) … since I’ve already hoarded the best ones, the merely good ones I will lease 😏.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back