Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jun 3, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #1,681 of 9,894
That's only natural. It's always more interesting to explore what is new. Get back with information about this next year... :)

Next year is still far away but sigh yes I will probably be talking about a new tube amp next year... if I am still in head-fi...

However Ultimate has that forward mids, extended treble and satisfying bass that has got me all wrapped up. I doubt I will grow tired of this sound. Now I am just eager to try as many headphones with it as possible because each headphone that I tried, sounded great with it. It's just crazy.

Jun 3, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #1,685 of 9,894
You're writing in great details now Deleeh and that's great ! :) I'm glad you're really on board even before getting the amp.

As I told you and Eric, I will take a picture of the silver and black wooden Ultimate when it arrives and it will be a great picture. :)

Somehow my friends didn't talk about the differences between the silver and wooden Ultimates. Even after one day, the wooden Ultimate is pulling ahead according to my ears. There was a comment which Simon made and I agree with it. He said he felt that the wooden Ultimate sounded more effortless and smoother but still dynamic and with slam. That about sum up the differences I heard so far.
Thank you.
Much of it is also a result of what I have read about capacitors and a bit of my own experience (especially the serious difference in the Euforia mod).

The capacitor alone is usually not the only difference.
This was also mentioned somewhere before.
There are capacitors that are good but do not harmonise in the system, but this is due to other things such as circuitry and components.
Sometimes even more needs to be replaced like resistors, op amps and so on. The SS range is even more sensitive, especially the modern ones.

Tube circuits are probably a bit more open and forgiving in that respect.
And to be honest it depends a bit on what your personal need is and the hardest thing is to find the capacitor that hits the mark.
Soldering is not difficult in comparison, and time is also an important factor.
The amplifiers take time to get used to and so does the ear.
With the Vcap, quite a lot happened in the first 400 hours and a bit more when that time was exceeded.

Simon's statement that the wood could be a little better.
It is possible that some signal paths are longer or shorter in the wood than on the aluminium chassis.
But this is also slightly more on the voodoo side.
But conceivable.
Personally, I can imagine that the Silk transformer could possibly give the extra power.

Maybe you will hear a difference when Eric is done with mine.

Jun 3, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #1,686 of 9,894
Thank you.
Much of it is also a result of what I have read about capacitors and a bit of my own experience (especially the serious difference in the Euforia mod).

The capacitor alone is usually not the only difference.
This was also mentioned somewhere before.
There are capacitors that are good but do not harmonise in the system, but this is due to other things such as circuitry and components.
Sometimes even more needs to be replaced like resistors, op amps and so on. The SS range is even more sensitive, especially the modern ones.

Tube circuits are probably a bit more open and forgiving in that respect.
And to be honest it depends a bit on what your personal need is and the hardest thing is to find the capacitor that hits the mark.
Soldering is not difficult in comparison, and time is also an important factor.
The amplifiers take time to get used to and so does the ear.
With the Vcap, quite a lot happened in the first 400 hours and a bit more when that time was exceeded.

Simon's statement that the wood could be a little better.
It is possible that some signal paths are longer or shorter in the wood than on the aluminium chassis.
But this is also slightly more on the voodoo side.
But conceivable.
Personally, I can imagine that the Silk transformer could possibly give the extra power.

Maybe you will hear a difference when Eric is done with mine.

Oh yeah for sure. We can't talk about caps or transformers in isolation. It has to be the sum total and of course the designer input. They put their own signature stamp on it. As Eric said, the wooden amplifier is now consisting of european, thailand and foreign inputs. :)

and I always remember what he told me about these upgrades.

Necessary - No ; Desirable - Yes !

Jun 3, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,687 of 9,894
What does that mean exactly when Eric says that?
Necessary - No; Desirable - Yes!

I asked him about the Silk transformer and he said the TimE will do it.

Not that I have any concerns now, it's more the curiosity behind it.

I can't imagine the Silk being more buttery and creamy than the TimE.
We also talked about Lundahl and Hashimoto and it would have been feasible if you had the money.
Lundahl would still work but Hashimoto with 4 transformers makes roughly an UltimatE from a price point of view if it's enough.
But the transformer alone will not be everything, even if it is important.

Jun 3, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #1,688 of 9,894
What does that mean exactly when Eric says that?
Necessary - No; Desirable - Yes!

I asked him about the Silk transformer and he said the TimE will do it.

Not that I have any concerns now, it's more the curiosity behind it.

I can't imagine the Silk being more buttery and creamy than the TimE.
We also talked about Lundahl and Hashimoto and it would have been feasible if you had the money.
Lundahl would still work but Hashimoto with 4 transformers makes roughly an UltimatE from a price point of view if it's enough.
But the transformer alone will not be everything, even if it is important.

It means exactly what the words says. It sounds a contradiction but it's not. Let me give you an example. A Toyota Corolla and a Mercedes will both take you from A to B. Is it necessary to upgrade to Mercedes for the purpose of getting from A to B ? No! But it sure is desirable getting to B in a Mercedes.

It's a known fact that in a transformer coupled amp, the better the output transformer, the better the outcome. This is what makes Odyssey special. The Sowter o/p transformers there is better than Lundahl in Tomas and my opinion but Sowter has changed hands now.

Was going to go with Monolith Magnetics o/p transformers for my 300b Telemachus... Monolith Magnetics is another good brand.

However in all things, there needs to be a balance. Can't just pour money into an amp. Don't go overboard but how would you know?

200 hours from now I'll let you know if the wooden Ultimate is much better than the silver Ultimate... or not.

Jun 3, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #1,689 of 9,894
Silke transformers from http://www.sacthailand.com/ are used in very nice systems. Don't underestimate this made in Thailand product. Just look at the gallery for the systems that Silk transformers are used in.

Including Bcowen's Ultimate. :) This picture is taken from thegallery and use Silk Transformer S-325.

gallery-Trans2.jpg

Jun 3, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #1,690 of 9,894
We joke all the time. I always smile when I have a conversation with him whether in person or text. We're actually talking about getting 300b, 2a3/45 to be as silent as Ultimate. That is the goal.
My Solar Flare is silent. Definitely doable, my Eric is old skool and Solar Flare is new skool, so different design ideas and styles.

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #1,691 of 9,894
Jun 3, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #1,692 of 9,894
Silke transformers from http://www.sacthailand.com/ are used in very nice systems. Don't underestimate this made in Thailand product. Just look at the gallery for the systems that Silk transformers are used in.

Including Bcowen's Ultimate. :) This picture is taken from thegallery and use Silk Transformer S-325.

gallery-Trans2.jpg
Nah, not mine. Mine would have KR 300B's for casual listening, and Western Electric 300B's when I'm in serious mode. 🤣

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,693 of 9,894
@triod750 and @bcowen , good info on the Fonon or Foton or Ulticon... who knows :sweat_smile:

All I do know is that the pair of Fonon 6F6M1 metal base in the wooden Ultimate sounded so good. It will stay there for a week.

Eric told me yesterday that when I returned the silver Ultimate, I should also return the Fonons because he said 'It is MINE' . I said no way, I am going to hijack it. :ksc75smile::dt880smile::k701smile:
Well, if it sounds really good that answers it....it's a Foton. 🤣

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #1,694 of 9,894
It means exactly what the words says. It sounds a contradiction but it's not. Let me give you an example. A Toyota Corolla and a Mercedes will both take you from A to B. Is it necessary to upgrade to Mercedes for the purpose of getting from A to B ? No! But it sure is desirable getting to B in a Mercedes.

It's a known fact that in a transformer coupled amp, the better the output transformer, the better the outcome. This is what makes Odyssey special. The Sowter o/p transformers there is better than Lundahl in Tomas and my opinion but Sowter has changed hands now.

Was going to go with Monolith Magnetics o/p transformers for my 300b Telemachus... Monolith Magnetics is another good brand.

However in all things, there needs to be a balance. Can't just pour money into an amp. Don't go overboard but how would you know?

200 hours from now I'll let you know if the wooden Ultimate is much better than the silver Ultimate... or not.
Okay.
The explanation is also ambiguous. 😁😁 Thank you.🙏🙏🙏
But I'll just trust Eric and let him do the rest now.No more changes.

I'm not familiar with transformers, I've only read about them.
I haven't changed any myself and analysed the results.
Even though it would be interesting.
For a project like this the bottlehead crack would be interesting where you can go wild.
But I simply lack the electrical basics to do it myself.

I'll just go with the UltimatE and be surprised when it arrives.
I don't think it will be necessary to do anything or make anything better.😇

Users who are viewing this thread

Back